1972 Bavaria E3 (So Cal)

wkohler

Site Donor
Reaction score
Absolutely. It's of course entirely possible they confused that scratch with the one on the top of the trunk lid. Also, I'm not an expert (though I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express once), but I don't think that's Baikal. I see Baikal underneath whatever that single-stage blue is in the photo of the "slight scratch." That's how slight it is. The trim piece is really there too - you're just not seeing it.

jefftepper

Reaction score
I agree that the current color (as displayed on my monitor) does not look like Baikal, rather it is closer in tone to Atlantik. There is evidence of a respray in the photos. Given that disparity, I question the claim of "one owner" or at least that the seller is the original owner. Lastly, any thoughts on the asking price? I would have pegged the value closer to $6K but then, being CL, asking prices often are pumped up to deal with the expected grinding that buyers are known to do.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
This car was repainted in Atlantik, one original owner prior to the current owner who bought it two months ago, it's in pretty decent shape too as I have seen it in person. He is thinning his collection of some pretty rare BMWs, a great guy who can be trusted as a seller too.

amg5872

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Hi all, I'm seriously thinking about buying this Bavaria. HBChris, I'd be interested in any more info you may have about the seller, as well as any more info anyone else may have. Thanks in advance.

renorennsport

Reaction score
I was the one who sold that car to the current owner.

I assume HB Chris forwarded the contact info on to amg5872. If not, I can supply it. Like he said, the gentleman that has it listed now is a serious stand up guy and not at all a flipper or someone just out to make a fast buck. He makes the most fanatical BMW collector/hoarder seem totally bush league. If he's selling it it's only because he wants to make physical room for other projects - or he thinks he won't get to it within a reasonable time frame.

Having said that; It isn't exactly what I would call a one owner car....

I bought it about a year ago from the son of "possibly" the original owner. He thought his dad bought it new; but he also told me that it was entirely possible that his dad purchased it when it was a year or two old. It was originally sold, and lived it's (almost) whole life in the South Bay area - San Jose CA. Then the guy I bought it from inherited it from his dad when he passed away about four or five years ago. The son had been driving it up at Lake Tahoe in the summers, where he currently lives. He told me it was always parked inside a garage in the winter. Then someone backed into it in a parking lot about a year ago, so he stopped driving it, etc.

I bought it from him about six months ago (without transferring the title into my name) when it came to my shop in Reno for some shifting issues. Luckily it was just the shift tower bushings; however, the owner really wasn't in a position to spend any more money on the car, had bought a new car, etc, so I bought from him.

Then, the present owner bought it from me about two months ago and had it shipped down to his shop/storage in So Cal.

So I kind of count four owners....maybe even five..... But it did include a huge folder with every single service record, going way back into the mid 70's...

As far as the paint: One rear panel (the one that got hit - maybe a bit more than a "slight scratch" heh heh) does show signs of a re-spray at one point. However, the engine bay, trunk, doors under the cards, and everywhere else, seems to have the exact same shade of blue that the exterior shows. I don't know what else to say about that; it sure doesn't seem to have ever had a real color-change paint job.

I wish I could shed some more light on this particular car but that's pretty much all I know about it, as it was only in my hands for a few short months.

As far as the value: It does seem to be an original condition and relatively unmolested car and all the service records bear out the claimed low miles. I guess it's worth what the market will support and what a potential buyer is willing to pay for it. There aren't that many E3's left that haven't been severely neglected, or thrashed, then made presentable again.

I say GLWS

amg5872

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Wow, thank you all for the information. This forum is impressive. I am thinking it is a bit overpriced. I am currently getting a PPI to see if there are any issues lurking. Did you end up repairing the shift tower bushings? Thanks.

amg5872

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I thought the paint looked pretty clearly non-original in the pictures. When I spoke to the seller he quickly conceded that the ad was wrong about the paint being original and said the respray didn't look great.

amg5872

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Hi, all. I thought I'd post an update on this since people here have been so helpful and I always think it's nice to hear updates from others. I bought this Bavaria. The Craigslist ad is gone but the car can be seen here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1972-BMW-Bavaria-3-0-/181444914379

http://www.search-motorcycles.com/d...BAVARIA-1972-BMW-Bavaria-30_181444914379.html

I did not pay the $8,700 asking price but I did pay a premium for what was represented as a 50,000 original mile car. I had the car transported to me and received it last week. It is generally as advertised, solid, drives well, with little or no rust, but this is not a 50,000 original mile car. The service records show the same odometer reading for years at a time and even include notes stating that the odometer does not work. Yet the seller's agent repeatedly emphasized the low original mileage as a unique and strong selling point. As soon as I received the car I called the seller and told him about this. He said that he did not know that his agent was marketing the car as having 50,000 original miles and, to his credit, he offered to take the car back and cover all of my expenses. I am planning to keep the car and take legal action against the seller's agent for materially misrepresenting the car. I am wondering if anyone has been through this and has any thoughts/advice/comments on how best to proceed. I feel like just returning the car would let the seller's agent off the hook for committing fraud. All of this said, I actually love the car and love driving it. I'm just fed up with this kind of dishonesty and I'm not willing to ignore it. Thanks in advance for any thoughts you may have.

amg5872