Too far gone?

71-2800 CS

Reaction score
I think too far gone.

I remember this car on ebay. It kept getting up to around $3000 and then it would be relisted. Apparently the deal would fall through. I asked my brother about this car as he does body work and based just on the photos said it would be a nightmare. He said that the cost and time to make repairs would cost more than buying a clean one in much better shape. I remember this one even had rust coming through the top of the fenders which led me to think that if it was this visible just think of the issues you can't see. I think this car was in Colorado. The pictures are taken with the road wet. Not a good sign. The other thing is if you are asking the question like i was, it means that you wouldnt be making the repairs yourself which would be even less cost effective. I think cars in this condition should be left for parts or someone who can do the work themselves and enjoys these projects.

61porsche

Reaction score
Shawn,

One man's trash is another's treasure or so the saying goes.

You're halfway there already by exposing the rockers/ sills. If you have the time ( sweat equity) and obtain the parts ( available) you can do what other's might deem as impossible.

It's certainly not cheap and it will take more time than you thought. But it's your car and it's possible.

What it gets down to is this; is it worth it to you?

If it were just a cost to benefit issue then logic says how much to put it back to a good driver vs. what it's worth when you're finished. But I did say logic and that for many of us isn't any part of the equation! My wife has questioned my sanity on several occasions and then as if magically- Cinderella's carriage appears from the pumpkin. Then she want's a ride and it's a whole new story!

In the link section of this site is a member doing just what you asked with lots of photos about the sill procedure for reference.

Good luck what ever you decide.

Sven

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Structural integrity

If you do elect to proceed I would only add to 61porsche's comments that you check on the availability of some of the sill parts. I know the three rocker pieces are available. I am not so sure about the base A and B pillar pieces that are welded onto the center structural rocker piece.

BTW It appears that the center structural rocker is completely gone. What is keeping the car from folding up? the floor pans? You will likely want to temporarily brace support (and check that everything is straight, etc.) before welding any new pieces in.

shawnwhite

Reaction score
Thanks

Thanks for the advice, all.

It's a going to be a challenge, but I think I can resurrect it. Quick question about parts...

I see that one can still order 3 replacement rocker pieces:

Is part number #9 ( 41111814061 ) the interior piece... I mean the carpeted metal inside the car? It may be a silly question, but as you know, I can't look to my car for reference. :)

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=7013&mospid=47811&btnr=41_1210&hg=41&fg=20

Thanks again.
Shawn

61porsche

Reaction score
Shawn,

Shop around. Walloch and Necsh, Jaymic, Penske, or CSI etc. The price seems high.

3 peices- inner ( yes), outer, and cover. You're cover may be fine.

Sven

Site Donor $
Reaction score
The inner rocker piece is separate from the floor pans. It is the availability of the vertical structural pieces that will be difficult to obtain (if at all). Your welder/fabricator/bodyshop may have to patch/rebuild them up for you.

jmackro

Reaction score
...He said that the cost and time to make repairs would cost more than buying a clean one in much better shape. I remember this one even had rust coming through the top of the fenders which led me to think that if it was this visible just think of the issues you can't see.

Right. The question isn't simply: "can it be fixed?" Of course, the answer to that one is always "yes". The proper question is: "can it be fixed economically?". And unfortunately, the answer to that one is contained in the quote above.

A week ago, a fairly solid coupe was offered for sale here on the e9 board for $12,500 (see: http://www.e9coupe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9224 ). Of course it sold in 12 milliseconds, but the point is that solid coupes can be purchased in the low teens if you're diligent. Repairing major rust is far more expensive and time consuming than starting out with a relatively clean body. The issue isn't the availability of replacement body panels. It isn't the cost of replacement panels. It's the time and skill required to install those panels, and end up with a shell that is properly aligned.

Last edited:

Orangener

Reaction score
All is possible !

Günters CSL:

Before:

DSCN2150.jpg

After:

17-06-front.jpg

My Orange:

Before:

13.jpg

After:

IMG_5167_vollesprogramm.jpg

Reinhards 2000CS:

Before:

P1010066.jpg

After:

cs1.jpg

Ed G

Site Donor
Reaction score
If you can do the work yourself and don't mind the countless hours away from family, golf, fishing, driving, et al....then go for it. If you're going to contract the work out, then you'll be paying 15K+ to get what you can buy for 12K right now. Ask me how I know. Good luck!

PM me for a list of the new sheet metal I have(rockers, patch panels etc). I was going to put it on da bay, but I empathize with you.

Finally-Driving in Connecticut.

jmackro

Reaction score
If you can do the work yourself and don't mind the countless hours away from family, golf, fishing, driving, et al....then go for it. If you're going to contract the work out, then you'll be paying 15K+ to get what you can buy for 12K right now. Ask me how I know.

Ed G makes a valid point above: If you have the skill, facility, and time to do the work yourself, certainly the cost will be reduced (as long as you value your time at $0/hr). But if you are paying a professional to bring back a severely rusted e9, I think the cost differential on will be far greater than the $3K that Ed quotes. Ask me how I know.

Oranger's post (#9 above) illustrates my point that any shell can be repaired. I don't think he was addressing whether it can be done economically.

shawnwhite

Reaction score
Fellas.

Those before and after pics are amazing. Inspirational.

Thanks again for the feedback. Much appreciated.
Shawn

Last edited:

Orangener

Reaction score
I don't think he was addressing whether it can be done economically.

No, economically, no...........passion, yes !
Passion is translated into german : Leidenschaft

Franz Grillparzer wrote:
Jealousy is a passion, // Seeking zealously what causes suffering.
Eifersucht ist eine Leidenschaft, // Die mit Eifer sucht, was Leiden schafft.

In translation it looses the linguistic joke..........alas.

MMercury

Reaction score
I bought this car a few months ago.
http://www.e9-driven.com/RegistryView.asp?RID=3129 Rust in the obvious places, however... when I dug into the rockers: bad news. 5 or so pics are in this album: http://s893.photobucket.com/albums/ac139/stephenswhite/e9/
Here is the question for the experts:
Find a new car or is it repairable? Shawn

This (found) linked photo album has been around for a few years and paints a remarkable portrait of the restoration process in any language. It was moved from the "projects and restoration" forum, since it seems even more appropriate here, in light of your current quandary. (Moderator, feel free to move it or delete it.)

Even if it fails to give you the additional impetus for an obviously labor intensive undertaking, or it has been seen before, it deserves yet another look, if only as a supplemental resource for many frequently discussed issues on this board, e.g., the ignition switch electrical contacts, slave cylinder innards and the heater fan, etc.

Best of luck!

https://picasaweb.google.com/archico.silva/BMW30CSRestauro?feat=content_notification

Sampling of the photos:

DSC_6203.jpg

DSC_6208.jpg

DSC_6211.jpg

DSC_6930.jpg

DSC_6275.jpg

DSC_6398.jpg

DSC_6367.jpg

DSC_6373.jpg

DSC_6396.jpg

DSC_6391.jpg

DSC_3035.jpg