where find this **** knob ?

remydedez

Reaction score
hello,

anyone knows where i could finf this shift knob ? and do you know how it works ?

thank you ;)

00000007_z.jpg

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
i believe that is the standard auto knob used on the e3 and e9 ... and maybe the early 2002. it changed in the e12.

remydedez

Reaction score
i believe that is the standard auto knob used on the e3 and e9 ... and maybe the early 2002. it changed in the e12.

i haven't this one on my e9.

How it works??
Manually Automatic Tranny??
Knob...it screws on??

not sure of what you are asking...

i wanna mean to cross a speed, you have to push down on it ?
because there isn't any button.

Scuse me my english is very bad :(

JhwShark

Reaction score
no problems seeking to clarify:
...this AT you just shift when you want or need...drive it like a manual or just keep it in A and let it shift Automatically...

MMercury

Reaction score
To the best of my (limited) knowledge, there were two type of gear selectors for the two different automatic transmission types: BW65 and ZF 3HP22.

Per diagram below, the "T" has a (right thumb -right hand drive)button that functions as a lockout device.
43.png

33.png

00004001.jpg

JhwShark

Reaction score
I believe to swap from the T-bar (with interlock) to the Knob you may have some linkage to swap...key parts in each linkage appear to be different.

Maybe someone who does tranny swaps can add more value to the thread??

Also, a factor to consider: is that the ZF may require one linkage and the BMW AT the other...need the AT experts for the details!

siscobmw

Reaction score
T bar appeared first time when e3 and e9 got the 3 liter engine, so, before first months of 1971...
has a lock button , but older knob hasn't anything ....
Francesco

siscobmw

Reaction score
I have got a used t bar for spares,it has anything except that trim cover for the center console....if you want it and You live in europe , maybe delivery expenses will be reasonable....
Francesco

remydedez

Reaction score
I have got a used t bar for spares,it has anything except that trim cover for the center console....if you want it and You live in europe , maybe delivery expenses will be reasonable....
Francesco

thanks Franseco but i already have one on mine.
i want a simple shift knob to replace it ;)

here an interactive interior picture of my e9:
http://www.inkolor.fr/old/qtvr/bmw.swf

JhwShark

Reaction score
The interactive photo...is really cool!
You have a great view of the entire cabin and I can see the headliner details as well...

Thanks,
Jon

Honolulu

Reaction score
My '69 2500 sedan did not have the T handle with left side lock knob. IIRC it had no lockout at all - just move it to shift. Don't know what/which trans it had.

My opinion, the knob only is cooler that the T handle but knob likely hard to find.

On the T handle there is a small allen screw you have to remove, to disassemble the locking mechanism (? a little unclear, it has been a long time).

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
i saw the black plastic version (NEW) on friday at Isettas-R-Us ... in Woodstock, GA. ... its on ebay for $3.50 plus shipping. i walked all through Werner's shop and saw all of the e9 and e3 goods that he had to buy while buying Isetta parts in Germany. he has a lot of odds and ends ... all NOS.

2275xxx

Reaction score
hello,

anyone knows where i could finf this shift knob ? and do you know how it works ?

thank you ;)

00000007_z.jpg

This is from the 2800cs Automatik.
the T lever started with the 3.0cs Automatik.

You would probably have to change the whole gearbox and linkages.
OTOH the 2800csa gearbox might not stand the extra torque of a 3.0.

The 2800csa box feels more direct, more sporty.
The downside is that it is pretty jerky.