Relay ID

NewSixCoupe

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi.
Can someone please identify the relays in this photo?
Thanks.

Attachments

• photo-3.jpg
    photo-3.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 224

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Len, My `73 has a single relay there and it is for the idle shut off valves and chokes.

Edit: just checked the blue book diagram for `73 and on models, it shows item 117 as a single choke relay. I have not seen two in that location but that doesn't mean it's wrong, just don't know what the second one is for unless it is one for each carb.

Last edited:

NewSixCoupe

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks, Chris. Do you know what the large aluminum rectangle w/ the rounded corners is for?

Thanks and Happy Holidays.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I don't see it in your photo but that is what my relay looks like, sort of a miniature regulator. I think automatics had another relay on the booster support for the starter cut-off if in gear.

NewSixCoupe

Site Donor
Reaction score
Sorry, here's the photo. The large rectangular component + 3 relays are near the battery. The two relays in the previous image are near the engine-side of the coolant reservoir.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    18.2 KB · Views: 188

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
That's your voltage regulator from the alternator

Sorry, here's the photo. The large rectangular component + 3 relays are near the battery. The two relays in the previous image are near the engine-side of the coolant reservoir.

NewSixCoupe

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks! How about the three relays near it? Two are black plastic and the middle one is metal...

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
nearest one to front is usually fog/driving lights if installed, the other two are horn and highbeam although i am not sure which is which, pull one and see if horn works to find out.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
`74 coupes have horn, high and low beam relays, and fog relay only if added so you won't find one on a U.S. coupe. Wiring from horn relay to horn is Black, Low beam is Yellow, High beam is White, that is the easiest way to tell although front fogs would also use Yellow.

NewSixCoupe

Site Donor
Reaction score
My '74 US car is wired for fogs, at least I see wiring and connectors under the bumper.

Chris, if the three relays near the voltage regulator (in my second image) are accounted for (horn, high and low beams), then maybe my fog light wiring fell short of actually installing a relay?

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Yours should be fog, horn and high beams. Low beams aren't relayed.

My '74 US car is wired for fogs, at least I see wiring and connectors under the bumper.

Chris, if the three relays near the voltage regulator (in my second image) are accounted for (horn, high and low beams), then maybe my fog light wiring fell short of actually installing a relay?

NewSixCoupe

Site Donor
Reaction score
Steve, seems plausible given the present fog light wiring; will check it out.

Thanks everyone and Happy Holidays.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score

Len, Yes, wiring is always there but if fogs aren't installed neither is the relay.

Chris

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Cool, I learn something every day...I am going to do a light wiring upgrade in the near future to include fuses and relays for high and low beams

Steve,

`74 was the first year for low beam relay, #18 on the `73 and Later BMW wiring diagram in the Blue Books.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
It's a great upgrade and easy to do. I used the hot lead to the orange diagnostic port from the battery to reach to my new low beam relay. You can still get the female spade clips with the small barb that keeps it inside the plastic mounting clip. Adding fuses is the smartest upgrade.

I took the wiring diagram from the blue book and enlarged it several times, page 61-0/43 from the 12/71 edition works pretty well up through `73 models in U.S. Not perfect but good.