Not a restoration #3

John Buchtenkirch

Reaction score
I took off my driver’s side door panel and some mutt left off the plastic vapor barrier :( so the door panel has some water damage.
!1abc16.jpg
!1abc17.jpg
Another or maybe the same mutt fastened the inside door lock opening handle with a too long bolt that’s cutting into the window’s actuation lever :(.
!1abc18.JPG
However all of that was quickly forgotten when I surveyed the inside of the door and found it to be rust free :-D:-D:-D !
!1abc19.JPG
The door has a peculiar twang or spring sound when you close it (doesn’t sound very German at all :oops:). I’m thinking it’s from bad bushings on the lock actuation rod but I’m not sure :confused::confused: and would appreciate any suggestions. Thank you for your help ~ John Buchtenkirch

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Do you have the plastic door bump caps on the door catch? They are important for that "thunk" sound. Pic attached.

Attachments

• IMG-20101213-00070.jpg
    IMG-20101213-00070.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 218

John Buchtenkirch

Reaction score
Do you have the plastic door bump caps on the door catch? They are important for that "thunk" sound. Pic attached.

Thanks Steve, I’m missing them on both the L.& R. sides so I wouldn’t have even know without you guys expertise --- thanks so much. I think I’m going to have a hell of a parts list in a few weeks. Having said that I doubt that’s my problem, the passenger door doesn’t have that definite twang the drivers door has. There’s definitely something that vibrates for a second or two after you close the driver’s door :confused:. Probably the door lock linkage rod. ~ John Buchtenkirch

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The lock linkage rod should have about a 3-4" black plastic sleeve on it that is used to prevent contact with the door frame/window mechanism, this can slide out of place over time - maybe this is it. I adjusted/lubed both my window tracks and waxoiled my door cavities last weekend and noticed these sleeves weren't in the correct place to do any damping. You can see the sleeve in this pic - at the left side of the opening.

Thanks Steve, I’m missing them on both the L.& R. sides so I wouldn’t have even know without you guys expertise --- thanks so much. I think I’m going to have a hell of a parts list in a few weeks. Having said that I doubt that’s my problem, the passenger door doesn’t have that definite twang the drivers door has. There’s definitely something that vibrates for a second or two after you close the driver’s door :confused:. Probably the door lock linkage rod. ~ John Buchtenkirch

Attachments

• IMG-20101205-00029.jpg
    IMG-20101205-00029.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 208

pamp

Reaction score
Doors

You need the three small plastic washers/grommets for the release linkages on each door.
Not sure what you are referring to here.
My drivers door has always closed with a "cheap" sound for lack of a more descriptive term. I am also missing the plastic caps, yet the passenger side door closes quietly without it. I lined the doors with dynaliner as well. I will follow this link to see if there is anything else I may have missed.
To John...I have been working on my coupe for nearly five years now. Full of surprises... always seems to be more parts on the list. Never ceases to amaze what some other PO or "mutt" had neglected or jury rigged in the past. I predict you will soon become a close friend of Carl. Unfortunate for me that he has rejected all my marriage proposals...

Last edited:

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Not sure what you are referring to here.
QUOTE]

Part # 52208238999 ($0.40) goes at each end of the horizontal door release rod. Although it only shows two, there is a third grommet that attaches to the vertical rod that is the door lock button. Lots of rattles if these are missing, same parts go on the 2002.

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
interesting and interested

can´t help by now, but i will overtake this same task in a month or two

so following woth interest this thread

but: i will mostly appreciate any photo or drawing of the mentioned parts, same as the first pics posted in the begining of the thread, they will help me a lot when i start my work

regards

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
noisy door

another important contribution to the door closing noise is the slamming of the window glass,

an adequate shape and fit of the rear glass profile and rubber is key to absorb that vibration when closing

(the rear part of the front glass contacts longitudinally the rubber placed in the front part of the rear glass)

blumax

(deceased)
Reaction score
Closing door(s) difficult

One other step that will aid in smooth, solid door closing:

The door latch mechanism on the door proper must freely rotate--or snap back on its pivot--to check--hold the inner door handle in the unlatching position and with your free hand check if mechanism rotates freely--if found sticky or slow in rotating by hand--lube with thin lubricant and manually rotate until it readily flips from its spring action.

If too much drag by this part doors will continue to resist proper closure.