3.5csi for trade (or sale possibly)

riverflyer

Reaction score
3.0csi for trade (or sale possibly)

I have a solid, I think rust free 74 car. Fjord blue/brown. Needs some love but I have not had time to do anything, but realized today after driving my 67 gto (pontiac unfortunately) over 100 miles that the csi needs a rebirth. I am interested in resto rod kind of set up with modern handling and as much power as possible. 95% of my driving is in the mountains.

So, anyone have interesting trades, (my car and cash)?
John
I can be reached at [email protected]

Attachments

• front int.jpg
    front int.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 357
  • pass side.jpg
    pass side.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 341
  • rear.jpg
    rear.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 318
Last edited:

riverflyer

Reaction score
I bought this car 3 years ago and have only driven it 3 times. Its sitting in a dry, even temp. garage.
I have a wad of receipts from various work, mostly early 90's through 04 of so (gas tank was replaced, head rebuilt, brakes redone, heavier sway bars added, and lots of maintenance and service done).I know its a 5sp but am now uncertain about the 3.5.
The block says 3.0 and I just spoke with one of the previous owners who knew nothing about a 3.5, just that this particular car was very fast. In fact, that was why he sold the car, it intimidated his wife!

I inspected the spare wheel well and it is solid and rust free. Rockers and wheel arches seem the same.

Apparently, according to the third owner, the second owner had the car for over 15 years. He had a front end accident in 96. At that point, these cars were only worth a very small amount and the cost of the parts neede, bumper and two grills and radiator mounts, pushed the insurance to "total" the car. The same owner then bought it back from them, repaired it and drove it another 8 years.

Car runs great but needs new tires, some wiring stuff and some power steering boost work.

Thats as full a disclosure as I can offer. I drove the car over 200 miles to my home, after I bought it and it ran great.
The id number is 2260773. It is a 3.0csi from the factory and third owner thought is was imported by a service man as it is apparently a euro model (speedo in km's). Current mileage shows 12,700 or so. Assuming its been around once, meaning 112,700km's, that puts the mileage at about 76k.
Oh, there was some rust repair done to the flat areas on both sides, around the shock towers. Was done over 10 years ago and is very solid. May have been clean up and preventative. Its some kind of rubberized product stuck to the metal. Pics enclosed

Attachments

• steering wheel.jpg
    steering wheel.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 274
  • tool kit.jpg
    tool kit.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 268
  • rust repair pass side.jpg
    rust repair pass side.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 285
  • back seat.jpg
    back seat.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 275
  • underside hood.jpg
    underside hood.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 267

riverflyer

Reaction score
more pics

Attachments

• pass fr.jpg
    pass fr.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 300
  • fr.jpg
    fr.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 294
  • engine.jpg
    engine.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 326
  • alpina's.jpg
    alpina's.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 307

riverflyer

Reaction score
Have decided to sell, as no trades were offered. Car is clean, no apparent rust, chrome is good, interior good, wood and momo wheel in good shape and just need some refinishing. Body is straight, panels clean, no rust bubbles-period.
Needs tires, comes with two sets of wheels, cover and large stack of reciepts and notations of cost of work done totally over $16k.
New leather seats and carpets were done a while back. Title was salvaged due to minor front end accident back in the early/mid 90's when the cars were worth less than the parts needed to fix it. In this case, front bumper, grills and new radiator.
Car runs well and has, according to the last 2 owners, never showed any issues relating to any sign of problems.

Good, clean and well cared for car a bit past its heyday, but ready for a comeback and attractively priced at $12k.
Won't last long, judging interest expressed so far.
thanks, John

runner

Reaction score
Just for information, according to data I have received when documenting my coupe, VINS 2260001 thru 2266506 were CSi from 7/71 to 10/73. So, your's being lower in number does not seem to be a 74 - but earlier by a good bit. Hope this helps a little on documention.

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
I think those Toyo T1-S have been out of production a while. I'd expect some fresh Michelin Ps2's for 95K. That is pretty well the way I'd want my car to look if I had an E9 (oneday perhaps)

riverflyer

Reaction score
Just for information, according to data I have received when documenting my coupe, VINS 2260001 thru 2266506 were CSi from 7/71 to 10/73. So, your's being lower in number does not seem to be a 74 - but earlier by a good bit. Hope this helps a little on documention.

You are correct, its actually a very late 71, built in early 72. Thanks for the info and reminding me to change the title.

I also have a full set of outdoor pics taken 2 days ago. They are in a zip file and can be sent on request.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Your coupe VIN of 2260773 is within the range of the first 1061 CSi's built in 1971 but might have been originally titled as a `72. It was built however in `71, Andreas can provide the exact date.

Last edited:

riverflyer

Reaction score
Thanks for the continuing info. I am, obviously, way over my head here in terms of info on these cars. I guess I should have just posted the vin and let you guys tell me about the car!;)
I have been talking with Murray Fowler a lot and he is doing his best to educate me as well!

I love these boards that are helpful, nonconfrontational, and just more family in orientation. the z8 board is also like that.

Cheers to the e9.

As far as my car goes, some of the drive to sell was to fund a special gt3 purchase. Trickle down of that owner deciding last night not to sell has removed some of my initiative. But I am currently holding the car until Sunday for a prospective buyer while I consider the various sales, reinvestment scenarios. thanks.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
John,

I just hope your prospective buyer isn't driving up from down in the San Bernardino mountains! He is still on the lookout for a coupe according to my sources.