CSL Redo for Vintage Racing

lafngrvy

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Sorry to be gone so long. It is spring here and we are farmers, so we can get pretty busy. We also had our first race of the year with the TiSA last weekend. She ran well, finishing 4th in the vintage class.

1800_PIR_04_17_10_1.jpg

Engine is going back together at Korman. They had an issue with the pistons not made to proper dimensions, so they are going to have to be redone. Other minor issues with intake manifold studs that required helicoils. They have spent the down time port-matching the 50 mm Webers to the intake and other details.

Here are some picts of the motor. Note the flywheel-clutch pack. Should be a big improvement over what was in the car.

clutchset.jpg

gmtblockpistrnd1.jpg

50s.jpg

gmtrod.jpg

Body is still at body shop. We are still waiting for quarter panels from Germany. They are doing what they can with the rest of the tub, but we really need those panels to arrive!

lafngrvy

Site Donor $
Reaction score
One of the quarter panels, along with the trunk floor pieces have arrived! These are factory pieces and they look great. Still waiting for right rear panel. :cry:

Redstone has also completed fabrication and installation of the firewall braces. These braces were installed in the factory cars to stiffen the front frame.

csl brace.jpg

CSL Qtrpnl.jpg

Sven

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Those braces look like a great idea. Where will they route the fuel lines that normally come through this corner? Drill a couple of holes in the top angled piece? or come up higher through the inner fender wall?

lafngrvy

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Sven,

As this is a race car we will be routing stainless steel fuel lines along the tunnel and up through the firewall near the carbs.

The bigger issue when these braces are installed is routing the headers on that side. We'll tackle that one when we get that far.

lafngrvy

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Received word today that our entry for the Rolex Monterey Reunion at Laguna Seca in August has been accepted. We now have a hard deadline for finishing the car. It is going to be tight!

Redstone Restorations has posted some addition pictures of work on the floors and the installation of the left rear quarter panel. These can be seen at:

http://www.redstonerestoration.com/apps/photos/

Last edited:

lafngrvy

Site Donor $
Reaction score
We will be installing a dry-sump oiling system on the engine. Parts have arrived at Korman for assembly.

We are planning on copying the Grp. 2 factory set-up in the trunk with oil reservoir and fuel cell dominating the installation.

drysump.jpg

blueboot.jpg

bdigel

Reaction score
Man!! that pan is trick looking! need more pic's of that. I bet that was Pricey!
is each cyl, sectioned off to pull a vacum ?? I dig that
BD

lafngrvy

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Eric posted about 40 new pictures today on the Redstone Gallery. They show the hail damaged aluminum rear deck lid I was able to find. It will need some work, but is very salvageable. The rubber lip on the duck tail is a bit dried and checked, however. Anyone know if they are available from BMW? I'm guessing it is a Motorsports part if it is.

They have also temporarily formed up the rear end. We are still waiting for the right rear quarter panel, so there is not a lot more they can do back there until it arrives.

They did re-skin on of the doors with the factory aluminum skins I traded for my old glass fender flairs. The drivers door frame is a bit too far gone to work with, but I found a salvage door in good shape we will strip and use.

Link is in an earlier post if you care to see the progress.

lafngrvy

Site Donor $
Reaction score
We gave up waiting for the factory new quarter panel from Germany and are going with a used panel from CSI. It should arrive at Redstone on Monday, along with a used drivers side door that we will reskin with aluminum.

The delay has been frustrating and has put our August deadline in jeopardy.

We are also still waiting on the custom pistons for the engine. This from Korman:

"In the meantime, we've got the drive gear for the pump sorted out, a very special crank scraper assembly, and Jimmy just showed me the mock up of all the aeroquip hoses going from the pump to the pan. We're trying to mock things up so that Tim will be able to refit everything to the car, and there's LOTS of hoses and fittings! "

lafngrvy

Site Donor $
Reaction score
More trials and tribulations. The used quarter panel from CSI was not useable for our project. Ben @ CSI is willing to take it back and has cut a new one for us that should work. He is shipping it today. Thanks, Ben!

Meanwhile, Redstone has been doing what they can with the parts they have. They have spent considerable time repairing the hail damaged rear deck and hood. They have also completed re-skining both doors with aluminum. Finally, they have completed repairing and sanitizing the fire wall. They have posted a bunch of pictures (106 to be exact) of their progress. Take a look:

http://www.redstonerestoration.com/apps/photos/album?albumid=7796186

bmw art car

Reaction score
are you guys going to mount the alternator

in the truck ,too? the way it was on peter greggs '75 csl?
i thought that was pretty ingenious the way they did it back then:mrgreen:

lafngrvy

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Redstone has posted a bunch of new photos of their progress with the car. They can be viewed at:

http://www.redstonerestoration.com/apps/photos/album?albumid=7796186

We are not going to make the Monterey Reunion race in August, so I have pulled my entry. It is disappointing, but I want to restore the car correctly, and putting us under an impossible deadline will not help that happen.

A major problem we have encountered is the aluminum hood. It is stretched and distorted beyond Eric's ability to repair it. There were places where the bondo was almost an inch thick! The rear lid came out fine- as you can see from the photos.

We desperately need to find an aluminum hood skin. The underlaying framework is fine, but the skin is toast.

Does anybody know where a skin can be found? Is there anyone remanufacturing them? Any leads are greatly appreciated.

lafngrvy

Site Donor $
Reaction score
As you can see from the photo below the rear end is back together again and looks great. The aluminum rear deck came out looking great. If you look back at the gallery on Redstone's site you can see all the work they put into it to fix the hail damage.

Still looking for a new aluminum hood or hood skin. Anyone have any leads?

CSL Rear.jpg

lafngrvy

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Good News! I think we have found an alu hood. Korman had one in their rafters, and are shipping it out to us to see if we can use it. Eric @ Redstone thinks it will be savable.

Car is headed off to have a cage fitted either this week or next. I will head over to Bend to meet with the cage builder once the car is at his shop to discuss what we want for the cage.

Redstone has put a few more photos up on their site. Link can be found in earlier posts.

Finally, Korman has mocked up the headers for my car on an E9 they have in their shop. It will have 1 5/8 primary tubes which immediately transition into 1 3/4" tubes. Twin 3" collectors under the car.

They say that smaller primary tube is going to help quite a bit with torque, and the larger exit tubes will help with HP. We started out with a set of 1 5/8" headers, then cut them up and fit the 1 3/4" tubes. The collectors are only 1/2-3/4" below the frame rail, which will preclude having to cut the floor.

CSLcollect2.jpg

Cslstephdr.jpg

coupe2800cs

Reaction score
Cobra man...

Don is right, this guy I believe can make anything.... Amazing what you can find right under your nose....! Just so happens, guy I know at work his brother in-law has beaten Chip Foose in LA's Grand National Hot Rod Show with a 33 coupe... I believe this man made every body part for this car, it's a concept, every panel is hand made by this guy.... This is not your average american barn yard find, it's a ground up panel by panel "33 Concept"..... http://www.rodshows.com/gnrs/2010/2010-gnrs-dingman.html

Last edited:

lafngrvy

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Car went to Fab shop today for a roll cage. My wife and I drove over to Bend to meet with the fab guy and discuss what we wanted him to do. The tub looks GREAT! I have only seen the pictures posted by Redstone, but they don't do it justice. The car is straight, strong, and almost ready for paint.

Once the cage is finished the car goes back to Redstone for a final blasting, fitting of glass fenders, and paint.

Here are some pictures I took of it at the fab shop:

CSL_RollCage_1.jpg

CSL_RollCage_2.jpg

lafngrvy

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Engine should be on the Dyno at Kormans on Monday or Tuesday! They are only waiting for the cam gear to come back from the machine shop, and the headers to be welded up. Any guesses on HP?

Aluminum hood arrived last week at Redstone. Eric says it is useable, so we will have the proper aluminum hood on the car after some shrinking and straightening.

OK, it's getting down to crunch time on choosing a paint scheme. I had intended to do the orange/silver Schnitzer car, but am being drawn to the green Gosser Beer car that Alpina ran in 1973.

I'd like to poll the forum. Which do people like, and why?

Gosser Beer CSL.jpg

schnitzer cls o:s_5.jpg

Last edited:

dp

Site Donor
Reaction score
I personally like the silver and red scheme, there's at least a half-dozen "tribute livery" cars 'round the world in the green Gosser scheme, this is not counting the two or three chassis that at one time or another were painted in those colors in the late 70's. If you like the green alpina scheme, why not do it in the N.O.R.M.L. lettering and graphics a la '75 or '76 IMSA?

Do you have fotos of your car during its racing history? THOSE might betray the "best" choice for how to paint (just a thought)