Famous 3.0 CSL owners

CSL 1973

Reaction score
As an interesting fact in relation to our beloved E9 coupes, there are some interesting names among the persons who have bought an E9 car. As far as I know, the following celebrities have owned a 3.0 CSL in the past:

Chris Amon (RHD CSL)
Sean Connery (RHD CSL)
Victor Gauntlett (RHD CSL)
George Michael (RHD CSL)

Malcolm McDowell (CSL serie 2)
Sepp Meyer (CSL serie 2)
The Prince of Lichtenstein (CSL serie 2 Alpina)
Jochen Neerspach (Bat)
Ronny Peterson (Bat)

Uli Hoeness (Bat serie 3)
Hans-Joachim Stuck (Bat Serie 3)

Please feel free to add more celebrities to the list

Cheers

Last edited:

DJSimca

Reaction score
That's an interesting question!

In this clip Jeremy Clarkson of TopGear states that he used to own a CSL. In another TopGear show he spoke about owning the 3.2l version, i.e. a real Bat.
The CSL in this program is not a Bat however as it is a RHD.

The bit with the original CSL starts around 5 min 40 sec.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3jVhsI26O4

tochi

Reaction score
Please feel free to add more celebrities to the list Cheers

As far as Celebrity CSL owners, I really couldn't say. Notable CS owners or E3 Owners, see far below.

I do not mean to thwart your efforts. However, I would guess that given any type of car, a celebrity of one sort or another owned it or drove it or was pictured near it. While this usually means higher end cars (e.g., 911's, Mercedes, Bentleys and Range Rovers), I know of celebrities who have owned and driven ubiquitous Toyota's, Saabs, Pontiacs, and Ford Broncos. I also attended an event where cars were identified with previous celebrity owners only to hear a reliable family member say “we never owned it.”

That being said, I have heard of E9's for sale where the ads claimed the cars were previously owned by well known actors, politicians and sports figures. One problem is verifying ownership. Your present list at least has vin's.

Some celebrities collect cars and they become part of their persona. Other celebrities can be very private about their actual ownership of a particular car or item. They might even be visitors to this board. :wink: Vehicle titles may be in the name of a corporate entity. Then, there are situations where a celebrity actually buys or is given a vehicle and never even sets foot in it. It is only when the irresponsible nephew or the housekeeper strikes a shopping cart with the car that we hear about it. There are also those situations where a celebrity is merely seen driving the car or in a car they never owned. Because of this, I am uncomfortable dropping names and creating a fact that never was but could have been.

Although not an E9, the late Jackie Kennedy Onassis drove an amazon E3. This hit the auction news sometime ago. http://www.allbusiness.com/automotive/motor-vehicle-models-sedans/6562584-1.html
Here is a link to an ad for a csa that a well-known actor allegedly owned: http://www.themotoringenthusiast.com/cars/ck-cs I am just reporting what was printed and not the veracity of the report. I would guess that any of the well-known drivers of the marque, back in the day, were probably given courtesy cars that they drove. Whether this means they owned them, and should be on your list, is up to you. It is your list and I submit the list is practically endless if you look hard enough.

Wasn’t Elvis recently spotted driving with Alfred Nobel as his copilot in a Taiga Cs? :lol:

jranmann

Banned
Reaction score
Wasn’t Elvis recently spotted driving with Alfred Nobel as his copilot in a Taiga Cs?
with a full trunk-full of dynamite as one service station attendant claimed!

On the Sean Penn car in Malibu, CA ... I would have bid although owning one Fjord Blue BMW
is just about enough to cure anyone of it's attraction.

32c93df83f.jpg

CSL 1973

Reaction score
All above listed CSL cars except the Uli Hoeness one are traced and "on the road" with new owners.

As regards Victor Gauntlet's CSL (RHD), it was a very special one, ordered from the factory with CSi leather seats and with a power sunroof. Which CSL Clarkson drove/owned I'm not sure about, but it exists a photo of him with one of the last RHD ones - a Fjord CSL with VIN 2285493.

More "famous" CSL owners:

BMW AG (Serie 1 Colorado)
BMW AG (Serie 2 Golf)
BMW AG (Serie 3 Chamonix)

Race CSL:

BMW AG (Werks CSL Art car - Stella)
BMW AG (Werks CSL IMSA 24 valves ex H-J Stuck, BMW Museum car)
BMW AG (Werks CSL Art car - Calder)

As regards other E9 models, I can mention that there is one in the Swedish Royal family. It's a Fjord 3.0 CSA previously owned by the former Prince Bertil and currently owned by Prince Carl-Philip. The Swedish king drives currently a M3 CSL and previously a M5 (E28).

The Swedish pop group ABBA had as a Company car (Polar music International AB) a dark blue BMW 3.3 LA (E3) with white leather seats. I was the lucky owner after ABBA but as stupid as I am, I sold the car in 1984 (after a small incident in relation to the Swedish winter roads...). One member of ABBA managed to get a special order E24 645 CSi (E24 with an engine from E23 745i turbo) directly from the factory during the happy 80s.

Cheers

Last edited:

2275xxx

Reaction score
BMW AG (2212378 Colorado)
BMW AG (2275xxx Golf)
BMW AG (4355046 Chamonix)

BMW owned a number of CSLs when the cars were in production: test cars, press cars and company cars.

As far as I know 2212378 and 4355046 do not belong to this category as they were not initially delivered to BMW AG.
They were late acquisitions by Mobile Tradition after they had a "normal" life with private owners.

roundel

Reaction score
When working for BMW in the `70`s we used to look after several `celebrity` owned coupes.
Eric Stewart of 10CC had a RHD Verona CSL
Francis Rossi of Status Quo had a gold CSA. Their manager had a black Tii..
David Nixon (famous TV magician at the time..) had a polaris CSA
Norman Wisdom (remember him ?..) had an E3.
Alex

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Around 1979 Tennis Great Rocket Rod Laver won the US Open at Forrest Hills, NY. Along with the cash(not much at the time) and the rocco trophy they gave him a Six Series which they drove to the edge of the court.

Kind of like Jacke O's Bavaria. Guilt by association.

Steve

capn

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm a casual browser here (one day I'll have an e9!)

David Crosby of the Byrds and CSN/CSNY had an e9 also.

roundel

Reaction score
Colin Chapman

It was not THAT Colin Chapman, just someone of the same name.
Alex

Adam

Reaction score
sandy koufax had one that sold on eBay a few years back...

sirshorty

Reaction score
celeb owners

Carol King had a cs and so did Hugh Hefner. I had a chance to buy's hefs' but it was a real bucket at that point. Could only imagine what he had riding around with him in it back then!!

Bob Dylan"s accountant lived in the building where I grew up in NYC right across the hall .As a kid and i used to see his coupe in the underground garage although I'm pretty sure it was fjord blue but then again I was a very young.
cheers
shorty

CSL 1973

Reaction score
Update of the list - past or current famous CSL owners:

Chris Amon
Sean Connery
Victor Gauntlett
Neville Hay
George Michael
Colin Chapman (actually not THAT Colin Chapman

Eric Stewart (Verona 2285xxx)
Jeremy Clarkson

Malcolm McDowell
Sepp Meyer
The Prince of Lichtenstein
Jochen Neerspach
Ronnie Peterson
Uli Hoeness
Hans-Joachim Stuck

BMW AG Museum car
BMW AG Museum car
BMW AG MT Museum car

Race CSL:

BMW AG Art car - Stella)
BMW AG IMSA 24 valves ex H-J Stuck, BMW Museum car)
BMW AG Art car - Calder)

Pls feel free to add names

Cheers

Last edited: