How to fix your clock (maybe)

Tundra

Reaction score
The clock in my 72 hasn't worked for about 10 years, the 8 years it sat in the PO's barn/garage and 1 1/2 years it sat in my garage as I restore it. I decided to tackle the clock. It is I believe the 'older' style clock with a white plastic cover in the back as per the picture below

4125940028_0ac6187d34.jpg

There are 3 small bolts holding this plastic cover. 2 are visible and the 3rd one had a plastic seal which if broken voids the waranty as per the white label on this clock. So if you think your clock is still under waranty do not break this seal. As an aside, there is also a blue ink date stamp on the top of this cover indicating the manucfaturing date ( month &year) of the clock. Here you can see the three bolts.

4125940326_3bb4679d43.jpg

Once you remove the cover this is what you will see:

4125940176_2484ca0876.jpg

If you look at the above picture you will note a small copper eyelit between the 2 bolts.I studied this clock for about 15 minutes trying to understand how it worked and realized that it is basically a mechanical clock. There is a small round 'pendulum' attached to a gear. When I manually pushed this 'pendulum' the clock would work for two minutes and stop. I then noticed a part which looked like the points in the distributor which opened when I pushed the 'pendulum' back and were closed at the end of the two minutes cycle. Trying to understand what made these 'points' open I noticed the eyelit mentioned above and concluded that this small hole was not there for esthetic reasons and that it belonged somewhere. The only place it could possibly be attached was the small metal protrusion you will notice at 3'o clock of this eyelit.The picture below will show more details.

4125939848_e444b4c99e_o.jpg

Once I connected this eyelit to the small metal protrusion at the right of it by crimping it, and then connected the electrical wires the 'pendulum' reset itself once the points closed. It does that every two minutes or so. Heres is a picture of the reconnected eyelit:

4125940864_accfd61f4a_o.jpg

My clock now works again after being dormant for 10 years and is as good as an atomic clock. In fact, I rigged it so that it resets itself at daylight savings time. Just kidding.

BMW must have realized that it was too easy for some people to fix their ownd clocks and decided at some point to redesign it and make it more complicated by encasing the inards in a completly metal casing. While still possible to open it, you have to remove the chrome bezel. It twists off as the top of a jar would but you need to be carefull so as not to damage the bezel. The mechanism is again more complicated as the earlier clocks. This proves my signature to be accurate (see BMW mission statement below). The newer clocks also have a manufacture date but it stamped on the metal casing itself instead of being in ink.

Now the fact I was able to fix my clock obviously does not mean that it is the reason in all cases. Your clock may have a different problem but its worth a shot to investigate. It's not all that complicated. I hope this helps.

Good luck

abe3.0CSi

Reaction score
Originaly there was a heat sensitive fuse connected there. It is the most common electrical brakedown on these clocks. If you look up the sl113.org forum (Mercedes 230, 250, 280 sls) they use similar clocks and there is ton of information on how to repair. Give it
to Palo Alto or North Hollywood and they charge about $200. Knowledge is power.
good job
abe

Tundra

Reaction score
$200 for a 5 minute job since they know what to look for. Incredible. More than a high powered attorney or investment banker would charge.

jmackro

Reaction score
$200 for a 5 minute job since they know what to look for. Incredible. More than a high powered attorney or investment banker would charge.

Whoa, whoa, that's a little unfair. No one can say that every clock that comes into Palo Alto or North Hollywood Speedometer has the same, easy-to-solve problem that you described in your first post. FWIW, I had my quartz clock repaired by Riverside Speedometer recently - they charged $115 including return shipping - so clocks can be fixed for < $200. And lastly, even if e9 repair people did make more than high powered attorneys or investment bankers, what would be wrong with that?

Last edited:

jranmann

Banned
Reaction score
Regardless of cost or success it's just these sorts of postings that make my visits here seem all the more worthwhile...Andre it's inspiring that you took the time to stare (in wonder?) for 15 minutes before tearing in...letting your intellect see the problem clearly without blindly replacing parts or doing more damage than the clock might put up with....as there's nothing more useless than a clock that does nothing or at best is only right twice a day...

Good show!

Ran

David

Site Donor
Reaction score
Very nice post.

FWIW, I think North Hollywood Speedo charged me about $100 to upgrade the movement on mine, clean the lens and paint the dial. Of course that made the other instruments look bad so I had to get those done too. All in, I think Im down more than $300. Looks great, but a bit expensive.

rustE9

Reaction score
Great post, thanks. Although my clock is not working I have noticed that has been correct twice each day.

Tundra

Reaction score
Great post, thanks. Although my clock is not working I have noticed that has been correct twice each day.
Thanks rust e9 . At least now you can drive your car 2 minutes every and know the time is right. If you take out the 'minute hand' you can drive it two hours a day and know it's about right.

Last edited: