2800cs ignition switch replacement help needed

verde2002

Site Donor
Reaction score
I opened up my dash under panel and saw the wires that go to the ignition swith have popped out along with the plastic round plate that should be attached to the switch end. All the little springs and contacts have fallen out and are lost. Is the ignition switch still available new? Can I just buy the back part with the wires so I won't need to use new and different keyes? How do you take out the ignition switch to replace it? Any advice or diagrams will be greatly appreciated.

MMercury

Reaction score
I opened up my dash under panel and saw the wires that go to the ignition swith have popped out along with the plastic round plate that should be attached to the switch end. All the little springs and contacts have fallen out and are lost. Is the ignition switch still available new? Can I just buy the back part with the wires so I won't need to use new and different keyes? How do you take out the ignition switch to replace it? Any advice or diagrams will be greatly appreciated.

The piece that has the soldered wires to it, is crimped on to the switch cylinder that is likely still inside your steering column. That assembly is held on by a very tiny grub or set screw. Jewelers sized flat head. A picture of the switch is depicted in the diagram below. No 5 is the grub screw and 7 is the switch assembly (61321355148) . The switch is available, but can be pricey. The switch is separate from the key and lock assembly, meaning the only thing that you might have to replace is the switch. Per the additional picture, across from the purple wire is the hole that receives the grub screw. Look carefully.

You still may be able to salvage things. You indicate you have an 02. The switch removal is much the same in the two models, so you might want to look at the 02. The switch design is similar too. (Wire lengths and end connections are different).

Before doing anything else, compose yourself, and with some decent lighting and maybe even a magnet, look to where the parts came apart and may have landed. (If the grease was gooey enough, the grease may have retained a few of those parts in the steering column.) From memory, there are two angled or bent metal tabs that fit into the brown/black bakelite and perhaps two or three springs (similar to those found on ballpoint pens). I think you are looking for 4 or 5 parts in all. If you locate these things, it is a very simple operation to press fit everything back together.

Good luck.
23.png
61321357380.jpg

Last edited:

oldcoupe

Reaction score
On my 1972 3.0CS the back part with the wires etc is the switch and is separate from the lock part, which engages with the switch. The switch and lock are located in the barrel, and the lock withdraws from the key end (no need to touch this) while the switch withdraws from the other. A fairly fine grub screw holds the switch part in place, and undoing that allows the switch to be withdrawn from the barrel which holds/contains the switch and lock.

The switch looks identical to one I have from an E3 (from memory, and so many parts interchange between the E3 and E9) so you could use one of those.

This site: http://bmwfans.info/ will let you check - see the steering section

http://bmwfans.info/parts/catalog/E...rowse/steering/steering_lock_ignition_switch/

but this shows it as discontinued.

So try Carl or look around for an E3. You may need to solder your wiring onto the switch as the E3 and E9 might have different wire lengths and plugs at the connection end. (they do on RHD models) Or, post a WTB in the Parts section here.

bill

Site Donor
Reaction score
Mobile Tradition has the switch for $200 (!) as of last April.

Putting the switch back together (mine blew apart also) is fairly easy but it is difficult to get the crimps tight and secure...so I bought a new one for peace of mind.

Joep

Reaction score
I recently replaced my ignition switch because it had come apart in the same fashion. It is indeed simple to remove by loosening the one screw which holds it in place. It was still available at W&N for €128,50. So you need to add some shipping and with the dire state the dollar is in, it will indeed set you back some 200$.

The switch which W&N delivers is for the year 72 and up, do not know if for the year preceding this there is a difference. The guys from W&N will certainly know.

verde2002

Site Donor
Reaction score
How do I put the switch back together? I have the springs and contacts. Also Do I need to remove the ignition out? How do I remove the ignition?