m30 cam shafts

Reaction score
Hi all. I am working on a 2800 Cs. It actually has a 3.0 engine? Engine# is 5500073, head # is 1 277 358. Can someone ID this engine and head, as to determine compression ratio, year, etc. I have installed Triple Weber dcoe 40's and full length Tube Headers. With all this, it doesn't seem to have a lot of power. Is there a stock camshaft, from another year that might be better? My experience is with Alfa's. With Alfa's, certain years and models had desirable cams? Is there a # on the BMW cam, to ID it? Any help here would be greatly appreciated. Bob @ [email protected]

Reaction score
Hi all. I am working on a 2800 Cs. It actually has a 3.0 engine? Engine# is 5500073, head # is 1 277 358. Can someone ID this engine and head, as to determine compression ratio, year, etc. I have installed Triple Weber dcoe 40's and full length Tube Headers. With all this, it doesn't seem to have a lot of power. Is there a stock camshaft, from another year that might be better? My experience is with Alfa's. With Alfa's, certain years and models had desirable cams? Is there a # on the BMW cam, to ID it? Any help here would be greatly appreciated. Bob @ [email protected]

x_atlas0

Reaction score
If I recall correctly, there is a part number stamped on the non-contact portion of the cam, making it relatively easy to identify.

In terms of M30 cams in general, there isn't a great OEM spread. The hottest OEM cam is a 272, with aftermarket going to ~284. The lowest cam is a 260. Pretty much all the early E9s have a 272 cam or close, but again, I could easily be mistaken. I didn't look much into cam work.

In terms of the engine, in order to really even guess at what it has, the part numbers of the block and head are needed. Those numbers are not what you have listed. This site should help you determine what you have:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/select.do?kind=P&series=E9&arch=1

x_atlas0

Reaction score
If I recall correctly, there is a part number stamped on the non-contact portion of the cam, making it relatively easy to identify.

In terms of M30 cams in general, there isn't a great OEM spread. The hottest OEM cam is a 272, with aftermarket going to ~284. The lowest cam is a 260. Pretty much all the early E9s have a 272 cam or close, but again, I could easily be mistaken. I didn't look much into cam work.

In terms of the engine, in order to really even guess at what it has, the part numbers of the block and head are needed. Those numbers are not what you have listed. This site should help you determine what you have:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/select.do?kind=P&series=E9&arch=1

Honolulu

Reaction score
hmmm

IIRC, from 2002 days, the cam is identified by numbers cast on the cam near the front (this is all very foggy). But, you should be able to determine the cam you have, by inspection and reference to the correct source.

As X-atlas says, not much available in original form, but you may not have an original BMW cam. Go look at it, record any numbers, and use the search function on this list or elsewhere. Pretty sure the data is there.

However, what to do about it is another matter that should be taken up with a qualified engine builder. Your lack of scoot may not be the cam at all, but you asked a specific question, so....

Honolulu

Reaction score
hmmm

IIRC, from 2002 days, the cam is identified by numbers cast on the cam near the front (this is all very foggy). But, you should be able to determine the cam you have, by inspection and reference to the correct source.

As X-atlas says, not much available in original form, but you may not have an original BMW cam. Go look at it, record any numbers, and use the search function on this list or elsewhere. Pretty sure the data is there.

However, what to do about it is another matter that should be taken up with a qualified engine builder. Your lack of scoot may not be the cam at all, but you asked a specific question, so....

YBNormal

Reaction score
Identifying Stamp

I believe the camshafts all have the same part number, but the grind is identified by a number stamped on the back end or the camshaft. This is edited from a previous discussion:

Remove the Cover on the backside of the head and look at the number that is stamped on the cam.

1 = 260° (2500) lift 6.8471mm (8.9mm at valve)

2 = 264° (early 2800) lift 7.4228mm (9.7mm at valve)

3 = 272° (late 2800 and all 3.0) lift 7.4228mm (9.7mm at valve)

For comparison, the milder Schrick grind has 282º duration and lift of 8.4/10.9mm. There are differences in the lift figures quoted on the various websites, but these are based on a 1.3 rocker arm ratio.

YBNormal

Reaction score
Identifying Stamp

I believe the camshafts all have the same part number, but the grind is identified by a number stamped on the back end or the camshaft. This is edited from a previous discussion:

Remove the Cover on the backside of the head and look at the number that is stamped on the cam.

1 = 260° (2500) lift 6.8471mm (8.9mm at valve)

2 = 264° (early 2800) lift 7.4228mm (9.7mm at valve)

3 = 272° (late 2800 and all 3.0) lift 7.4228mm (9.7mm at valve)

For comparison, the milder Schrick grind has 282º duration and lift of 8.4/10.9mm. There are differences in the lift figures quoted on the various websites, but these are based on a 1.3 rocker arm ratio.

MichaelP

Reaction score
Pushing 5500073 through realoem comes up with the engine's origin as that from a 630CSi built in Dec of 1976. This E24 site listing vins seconds that.

You'll have to search around for the duration on the cam for that motor - assuming it's stock. For aggressive cams, shop around. BMP, for instance, offers 276, 280, 288 and 290 degree grinds. Alternately, Jeff Ireland's shop will regrind your existing cam to 284 or 290 for a lot less cash.

MichaelP

Reaction score
Pushing 5500073 through realoem comes up with the engine's origin as that from a 630CSi built in Dec of 1976. This E24 site listing vins seconds that.

You'll have to search around for the duration on the cam for that motor - assuming it's stock. For aggressive cams, shop around. BMP, for instance, offers 276, 280, 288 and 290 degree grinds. Alternately, Jeff Ireland's shop will regrind your existing cam to 284 or 290 for a lot less cash.