Front seat belts

mattie4859

Reaction score
My car is a 1972 CSi (RHD), I think I had static belts in it before the restoration started 4 1/2 years ago (!). I would like to put in three point inertia reel, there is a location point for the reel under the rear armrest, but the reel is too big for my armrest to fit over. I understand later cars had bigger (higher?) armrests and rear seat profiles as a result, to accommodate the reels. Can anybody put me onto a three point reel system that can fit my earlier car? I'd prefer not to modify something onto the rear top shock mounts and through the rear parcel shelf, as I've seen on this forum.

mattie4859

Reaction score
My car is a 1972 CSi (RHD), I think I had static belts in it before the restoration started 4 1/2 years ago (!). I would like to put in three point inertia reel, there is a location point for the reel under the rear armrest, but the reel is too big for my armrest to fit over. I understand later cars had bigger (higher?) armrests and rear seat profiles as a result, to accommodate the reels. Can anybody put me onto a three point reel system that can fit my earlier car? I'd prefer not to modify something onto the rear top shock mounts and through the rear parcel shelf, as I've seen on this forum.

Wazza

Reaction score
Hi Mattie

I have the original ones from my car if that helps and if you find out where to source some I want to replace my static ones also. I did find some from Germany on a web site two years ago but haven't tried to find the site again.

If you want to call me I can PM you my numbers.

Cheers
Warren

Wazza

Reaction score
Hi Mattie

I have the original ones from my car if that helps and if you find out where to source some I want to replace my static ones also. I did find some from Germany on a web site two years ago but haven't tried to find the site again.

If you want to call me I can PM you my numbers.

Cheers
Warren

pmansson

Reaction score
The reel goes on the floor, to the left of the left foot of somebody in the rear left seat. The hole is the vertical threshold right below the "B-post".

It can also go on the hat shelf. I have seen both varieties.

The securing point behind the slanting section of the arm rest is for the other end, with just a triangular mounting plate.

Personally, I don´t like using the securing point in the roof.

pmansson

Reaction score
The reel goes on the floor, to the left of the left foot of somebody in the rear left seat. The hole is the vertical threshold right below the "B-post".

It can also go on the hat shelf. I have seen both varieties.

The securing point behind the slanting section of the arm rest is for the other end, with just a triangular mounting plate.

Personally, I don´t like using the securing point in the roof.

oldcoupe

Reaction score
My early CS came with static belts which would have been worse than useless in a crash.

It's not visually ideal, but I put new inertia reels on the rear shelf, using the rear belt mounting points, and bring the shoulder belt forwards between the headrest mountings on the seat back. The rear seatbelt top mounting was moved inwards to just beside the inertia reel, improving the location of that belt over the rear passenger's shoulder.

The belts run almost along the window, so don't get in the way of the infrequent rear seat passengers and fit very comfortably and securely over the front occupants' shoulder. The shelf fitting avoids the problem of a low mounting for the shoulder strap, which can cause spinal compression injury in a crash.

oldcoupe

Reaction score
My early CS came with static belts which would have been worse than useless in a crash.

It's not visually ideal, but I put new inertia reels on the rear shelf, using the rear belt mounting points, and bring the shoulder belt forwards between the headrest mountings on the seat back. The rear seatbelt top mounting was moved inwards to just beside the inertia reel, improving the location of that belt over the rear passenger's shoulder.

The belts run almost along the window, so don't get in the way of the infrequent rear seat passengers and fit very comfortably and securely over the front occupants' shoulder. The shelf fitting avoids the problem of a low mounting for the shoulder strap, which can cause spinal compression injury in a crash.