16x7 ET16.2 21-spoke "Alpinas"

dp

Site Donor
Reaction score
I just snagged a set of these on eBay for a good price,

[Broken External Image]:http://www.thehoffmangroup.com/largeimages/WHEEL2.jpg

combined with the Potenza RE-01R's I figure on some nice wheels, anyone used these wheels on their coupe yet?

Truth be known the purchases were intended for the long-slumbering 745i (yeah,the turbo one) and later for the E28 that'll be turbo'ed with the 745 setup once its sorted...but now I am thinking....

RonP

Reaction score
My friend just bought a set for $700. if you paid less than that, I would keep them as I think the prices of real Alpinas are going to go up in the future.

pamp

Reaction score
Meats

Ah,
Rats ! I have been looking at my 14'' BBS and find the rubber pathetic. Some are going back to this size but no decent rubber is available! M/S type doesn't do it for me as the car is summer only. I have a line on some 15'' wheels to match what I have now ( I like the look) Help me Ron!

lip277

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I have a set as well... Have not selected tires but am leaning towards Falken ZE-512's. I have those tires on my 2002 and like the way they work.

Too many things going on right now... I hope to get the tires and mount them in the next month or so.

gazzol

Reaction score
lip277 said:
I have a set as well... Have not selected tires but am leaning towards Falken ZE-512's. I have those tires on my 2002 and like the way they work.

Too many things going on right now... I hope to get the tires and mount them in the next month or so.

I have Falkens on my Coupe too and was pleasently supprised how good are.

Interesting to note that the picture shows a 20 spoke wheel but the website says 22 spokes. So are they 20 or 22 spokes?

Sven

Site Donor $
Reaction score
The set I have from this outfit have 21 spokes. I suspect the extra spoke may be there to avoid any patent infringement with Alpina or its manufacturers?

gazzol

Reaction score
Sven said:
The set I have from this outfit have 21 spokes. I suspect the extra spoke may be there to avoid any patent infringement with Alpina or its manufacturers?

In the UK they wouldn't be allowed to use that picture as it doen't represent the item they are selling and if they continued to use it they would be prosecuted. Recently a national chain of sofa outlets were made to pull a comercial because they CGI'd the sofas to appear larger than they actually were in relation to the people sat on them.

lip277

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I ended up installing Falken FK 452 tires.
I was concerned with how the ride would be affected by going to a lower profile set-up. (I have the 16" Alpina repro wheels too)

I am very satisfied.
I got the tires at Discount Tire.
I was originally going to stay with the ZE-512's as the $$$ for the 452 was a bit more - but....
Discount was able to move more on the 452's price than they were on the 512's so the difference in cost was not that much....

Have about 300 miles on the coupe now with - Very happy...

And I had custom Alpina center cap emblems made to fill the blank spot on the hub cover so...

All set wheel/tire wise for the summer.

Last edited:

coupeguy

Site Donor
Reaction score
These wheels are knock offs, only avail in 7" width, Coupeking has correct 7 and 8 wide 16 replicas, check out coupeking.com. Good price, quality seems to be comparable to originals. The avail of these would seem to assure the originals will not escalate further, probably actually decrease. Only diff I can see is the Alpina name cast into the centers.

coupeguy

Site Donor
Reaction score
These wheels are knock offs, only avail in 7" width, Coupeking has correct 7 and 8 wide 16 replicas, check out coupeking.com. Good price, quality seems to be comparable to originals. The avail of these would seem to assure the originals will not escalate further, probably actually decrease. Only diff I can see is the Alpina name cast into the centers.

lip277

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I actually prefer to not stagger the wheel size.
Running 7" front and back is my preference - and has worked just fine for me.

I have enough problems with the two E38's that have staggered set-ups. I'm tired of not being able to rotate tires where I would otherwise want to (or deal with flats).

But to each his own....

So far - I am happy with what I have.....

(FWIW - My cost was WAY less than the $200/wheel these seem to be at now)

dp

Site Donor
Reaction score
dp said:
combined with the Potenza RE-01R's I figure on some nice wheels, anyone used these wheels on their coupe yet?

The RE-01R's were 59 bucks each from Tire Rack (closeout) :shock:

dp

Site Donor
Reaction score
dp said:

The RE-01R's were 59 bucks each from Tire Rack (closeout) :shock: