Period Correct Radio – Modernized for IPOD and 180 watts

bmwmadman

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I thought I would share this with the group as I think others would rather keep things looking stock, but also want the performance of a modern radio. I had Turnswitch up in MN modernize a nonworking radio I purchased on eBay. They removed all guts and buffed out the band plate and installed a new board. The new internals are a blessing as radio stations come in better, it’s now IPOD ready and has 180 watts of power. All this is internal to the radio – keeping things looking stock.

While I was at it I updated the 3 speaker system to 6. 2 tweeters behind the center dash grill, 2 in the front kick panels and 2 in the shelf behind the rear seats. I had to work with existing holes on the rear shelf but the other 4 are hidden from plain sight. I was able to locate CS radio knobs in Germany to make this things look factory.. The following link are pics of the install.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/24576060@N07/

Cost of modernize the radio was about $400. I am not advertising for Turnswtich, I just had good experience with them and very happy with results. I guess they work with the Porsche club and other hot rod outfits.

http://www.turnswitch.com/

Gary
[/url]

acat2002

Reaction score
Way to go Gary!

I have a friend in the audio installation business who is in the process of fabricating a hidden tweeter mounting system in the same location as yours. Good choice.

Unfortunately, the PO had already cut into the door panels and installed 5.25" rounds, but I would have preferred to mount the mids where you did.

What were you planning to do for base? I don't want to cut into the parcel shelf and have been thinking of fabricating something beneath the seats facing rearward. It's tight, but it can be done without cutting any metal (only carpet). I don't want to see any modern stereo equipment either. All I want is iPod connectivity and don't need a crazy stereo system.

I'll post pictures when I fabricate something for the rear 6x9s (hopefully they will reside under the front seats)

bmwmadman

Site Donor $
Reaction score
My parcel shelf was already cutt by the PO so I dropped in newer 3 way speakers for the rear. Before cutting any new or larger holes I tested the sound and the base worked well for the rear 3 ways. I think the sound actually reflects off the rear glass. Becuase the placement of the existing rear speakers, I was not able to hide them under the vinyl as I did the fronts. (rear shocks get in the way) But I think to achieve the best sound, mounting speaker in the rear shelf is optimum. You just have to plan on working within the 2 shock towers in order to have the space to put them under the vinyl..

pamp

Reaction score
Stereo

As my car was already hacked to accept a Sony, probably done early '80's,
I had no compunction to modify further, to accept a modern unit (yes with Ipod, USB, RCA out, and the like) Depth was an issue for sure. I have run two back deck speakers only,to replace what existed previously The deck metal had already been buchered, (previous owner) I eliminated the following: holes, front, when we did the refirb on the the door panels, B.S equilizer in the glove box, and all extraneous wiring.
I am 50 and have no need to blast my neighbors out of their seats. I will tell you, the sound quality is very good, to my AM period ears. Plus, I most times like the song of my engine!

chamonix

Reaction score
Very nice installation indeed. This is something i would like to do myself.

Has anyone tried to put the speaker in the "wall" underneath the rear seats? I had speakers there in an e28 5-series earlier, and it seamed to work OK, and was out of the way.

steve in reno

Reaction score
The "wall", as you put it, is a very good place to locate a pair of 6x9 speakers. Not difficult to install there and close to the trunk for amplifier.
Works well for sub-woofer also.
Cut as small hole as possible.
Bose canister style speakers mounted on top of the rear hat shelf, no cutting/drilling to viewable area.
steve

bmwmadman

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I bought some Pioneer TS-P462 4 x 6 plate speakers. I then cut the tweeter away from the 4 in mid and seperated them for different mounting locations. I kept the crossovers intacted for use. While I had heard others fitting a 5 in or even a 6 x 9 in the kick panel area - there is not a lot of room down there in my opinion and I did not want to do a lot of cutting. The panels themselves actual do not support the speakers. The speakers are screwed into the metal body of the car. The panels only need to have holes cut and work done to the upholstery to get sound thru - otherwise mounted back into place with original hardware.

There probably are a better set of speakers one can purchase for this purpose. I had a budget and didn't go crazy. I did not need or want a Boom Boom stereo, just one that sounds decent. I think the planning took way longer than the actual work.

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Now to find an old Blau Frankfurt...
I wonder if it will fit.
Opinions?
[/img]http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii6/ClassicCoupe/DSCN1720.jpg[/IMG]

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
d3b9cd8bf3c0221bfd04a402ac00acd9.jpg
[/img]

John H.

Site Donor
Reaction score
chamonix said:
Has anyone tried to put the speaker in the "wall" underneath the rear seats?

My car came with the rear deck cut, and with 6x9's under the rear seat. Luckily, the PO just had two little free standing tweeter units that are velcroed to the dash, so there are no ugly holes up front. The sound is just fine for me.

Gary, way to go on your Chamonix. Can't wait to see it! Mine is still in the throes of getting your old 3.5 shoehorned into it. Time, time, time, equals less money I guess.

John

pamp

Reaction score
I probably state the obvious, but the stock alternator is only 55 amps. That ain't jack. Certainly a spec. to be considered in regards to limits to amplifier sizing and the number and size of speakers one can use. My motto "Anything can be fixed as long as you are willing to throw s-pots of money at it" Also to be considered are parasitic H.P. losses as the current draw gets cranked up.
amps = watts divided by volts

chamonix

Reaction score
steve in reno said:
The "wall", as you put it, is a very good place to locate a pair of 6x9 speakers. Not difficult to install there and close to the trunk for amplifier.
Bose canister style speakers mounted on top of the rear hat shelf, no cutting/drilling to viewable area.
steve

Thanks for the input!
I will reposition my 6x9 speakers this winter. Will post pictures later.

chamonix

Reaction score
chamonix said:
steve in reno said:
steve

Thanks for the input!

I have done as I was told :)
6x9" speakers under the rear seat, and a new custom made parcelshelf.
DSC_0137-1.jpg

DSC_0138.jpg

I bought a Blaupunkt Bavaria of e-bay, and connected it to my iPod.
It works really well :)
Bilde004.jpg

DSC_0120.jpg

More info about the iPod-adapter here at this german website : http://www.youngtimerradio-shop.de/epages/61037185.sf/de_DE/?ObjectPath=/Shops/61037185

chamonix

Reaction score
chamonix said:
steve in reno said:
steve

Thanks for the input!

I have done as I was told :)
6x9" speakers under the rear seat, and a new custom made parcelshelf.
DSC_0137-1.jpg

DSC_0138.jpg

I bought a Blaupunkt Bavaria of e-bay, and connected it to my iPod.
It works really well :)
Bilde004.jpg

DSC_0120.jpg

More info about the iPod-adapter here at this german website : http://www.youngtimerradio-shop.de/epages/61037185.sf/de_DE/?ObjectPath=/Shops/61037185

coupe74

Reaction score
hidden stereo

I put in a SecretAudio unit. Headunit goes under the back seat, wires under the carpet transmission tunnel to a control unit on a cable or infrared remote that can be placed on or off the console, and so hides when parked to avoid thieves. $169. I like it, and its DIY.
http://soundmove.com/secretaudio.htm and many other vendors, you local car audio dealer can order it too.

No financial interest, not my company, etc etc

coupe74

Reaction score
hidden stereo

I put in a SecretAudio unit. Headunit goes under the back seat, wires under the carpet transmission tunnel to a control unit on a cable or infrared remote that can be placed on or off the console, and so hides when parked to avoid thieves. $169. I like it, and its DIY.
http://soundmove.com/secretaudio.htm and many other vendors, you local car audio dealer can order it too.

No financial interest, not my company, etc etc