Why the 20 degree-angle for rear caliper pistons?

bengal taiga

Reaction score
I previously posted wondering about alternative sources for rear calipers for a csi. I was having problems dislodging the pistons on one caliper and expected more of the same, but given enough air pressure and pop pop. I found the plating had come off of one of the pistons and just decided to use the pistons from a donor solid rotor-caliper along with new rebuild kits and everything is now operational.

Here is my real question: Many 2 piston Ate rear calipers have pistons with a "C" instead of an "O" surface area that meets the brake pads. Some BMW (like E9's), Porsche and Mercedes manuals state the "C" should be placed at a 20 degree angle using the appropriate measuring tool. Its not difficult and if any of you have read your manuals, you know what I am talking about. What purpose does this really serve? How would being off 10 or more degrees change anything? I mention this since I have rarely seen these calipers (when used) displaying the correct angle on the caliper pistons.

Thanks in advance.

project E9

Reaction score
Matt is correct, the cut out is to reduce tapered wear in the pads. The cut out must face the direction of rotation of the disc and the angle is not absolutely critical but it has to be close to the 20degrees

tochi

Reaction score
never really thought about it.

project E9 said:
The cut out is to reduce tapered wear in the pads. The cut out must face the direction of rotation of the disc and the angle is not absolutely critical but it has to be close to the 20degrees

Not disagreeing, but why don't the front caliper pistons have a cut out? They are fixed too. I believe some of the later 5 series used two piston front calipers but I don't recall seeing the cut outs on those either.

Never really thought about it.

project E9

Reaction score
Not disagreeing, but why don't the front caliper pistons have a cut out? They are fixed too. I believe some of the later 5 series used two piston front calipers but I don't recall seeing the cut outs on those either

Some cars have these cut outs, most don't, 911's certainly do. The caliper design determines if they are required, caliper piston size and clearance to bore as well if the piston uses guide pins inside the piston or not. The difference in pad wear is very noticable though if the piston orientation is correct makes a huge difference. These guides help reduce pad knock-off.