Correct colors for 1973?

MichaelP

Reaction score
Does anyone have a color chart for the 1973 E9? I've been mulling over what color to paint our recently acquired '73 3.0CSa, but I can only seem to find color charts for '72 and then '74, which vary somewhat.

Here's the 1972 chart (from the bmw-coupeclub.de site):
[Broken External Image]:http://www.bmw-coupeclub.de/Prospekte/Farben und Preise/Pos 13/BMW-Die Farben - Die Polster_02.jpg

1974:
[Broken External Image]:http://www.bmw-coupeclub.de/Prospekte/Farben und Preise/Pos 15/BMW-Farben und Polster-74_02.JPG

The original color of the coupe in question was Polaris. That's not going to happen again, party because every other coupe is Polaris and partly because I'm going to do this myself, and I'm not talented enough to do metallics. So, I'm trying to decide between non-metallic, single stage colors.

Roger S

Reaction score
Hey Michael, interesting question. I have a 73cs and a 73csa, both were Fjord metallic, but one was a slightly darker hue than the other. The difference was noticeable.

I know you frequent the 2002faq site. I recall a link to color chart over there that might have 73 paint chips. If I can find it, I will post a link. Good luck with the car.

Oh, side bar question: I recall you having both Scheel and stock seats. Can I use the regular rails with the Scheels? Feel free to PM off line so as not to mess up or high jack this thread.

MichaelP

Reaction score
Thanks Roger. I'll have a go at the 02faq.

Regarding the Scheels (they were the comfort models, not the deep CSL buckets), we installed them in an 02. When purchased, the seats came with brackets for the E9 (the ones I sold here), so I'm guessing it wasn't easy to use the stock rails. That said, I did manage to fabricate a pretty simple hack to mount them to the stock sliders in the 02. I have diagrams I drew somewhere. Email me and I'll pdf them.