Best Tires for stock 14" wheels

Jonathan

Reaction score
I saw the posting on the Alpina tires so I wanted to see if the group had a consnsus on the best gripping tire for the stock 5 spoke 14" wheels. I have all weather tires on now (for no reason since I don't drive it in bad weather) but I'm wondering if some good Avon or Potenza z-rated tires will produce a noticeable difference in handling--or am I just wasting my money.

Thoughts??

Malc

Reaction score
Jonathan,
Yokahama tyres are the "stickiest" ones available without going to racing spec or style.
The usual suspects are more than ok (Pirelli, Goodyear Eagles, Michelin, Continental)
It's mainly to do with compound rather than construction these days so a softer compound wll give loads more grip but wear out quickly and obviously visa versa.

I actually use a brand known as Sportiva which are made by Continental as a "budget" tyre and for general day to day driving I am very happy with them I can hussle my Saab 900 Turbo daily hack with confidence.
I have Pirelli 3000 on my 2002Tii (Standard size 165/R13) and they are good allowing tail slides in a redictable way :wink:
Tyre technology has moved on a long way since the E9 was made and most from the major suppliers are ok IMHO
Malc

pmansson

Reaction score
If you like the stock wheels, as I do, I would suggest going with 205/70 VR 14 to get the correct period look and to fill out the wheelarches properly. With the CSL springs from W&N there is no risk of hurting the fenders (providing the front hasn´t been lowered in any other sense).
If you like the look of beefy tyres on original wheels on 1960s Ferraris, this is what you´ll get on your Coupé.
I use Michelin XWX which with modern rubber compounds are very good in dry and wet (which is not a recommended driving condition for the E9, right Murray!)

CookeD

Reaction score
The real problem is actually sourcing performance tires in 14" sizes. Without looking, I don't know what's currently available, but I bought 14" tires in 2005, and the pickings were pretty slim at that time.

For what it's worth, I did buy Dunlop D60 Sports, and they're fairly nice tires.

Good luck!

Philip Slate

Reaction score
Tire Rack has a few selections in a 205/70 14. No affliiation, etc.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Compare1.jsp?sortValue=1&resultsNumberSelected=Y&displayResults=10&compare=true&compareList=&RunFlat=All&goWhere=%252Ftires%252FCompare1.jsp&sortCode=&width=205%2F&ratio=70&diameter=14&startIndex=0[/url]

saman

Reaction score
I am putting 205/55R14 front and 225/50R14 on the back with 7jx14 alpine wheels. what do you think about this. I have also lowered the car around 20mm.

G-Man

Reaction score
14" performance tires are going the way of the dinosaur in the US market. That's why I sold my 14" Alpina wheels because I couldn't find 225/60-14 tires, they had become unobtanium. Consider upgrading to 15" or 16" wheels, the tire selection in these tires is night and day difference over 14". The other option is to pay big bucks at Coker tire.

G-Man

'69 2800cs

Reaction score
Tirerack has 11 choices in 195/70/14....and I would guess even the modern "all season" compounds are grippier than previous generations of performance tires.

My car is lowered with a number of mods and I still can't outdrive my 7 year old 195/70's on 14's and remain somewhat within the law. Plus the wheels look great, they're light (better acceleration and feel over bumps) just overall the right fit for a vintage driver.

JMO.

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
As with Alan, I mounted the BF Goodrich T/A Radial, mentioned below. I have not driven on them yet but within a week or two (hopefully) I will be able to report back. Also, I have the 16" wheels on my other e9 so I should be able to make a comparison that may be meaningful.

I have a friend who races professionally and I think it would be fun to take both cars to the track and have him do a side-by-side comparison,one with a fairly modified suspension (camber plates front/I.E. mods on the rear, rolled fenders strut bar, oversize sway bars and one very stock with only Bilsteins and CN springs all around on 14" stock wheels). Maybe another video topic :)

The modified suspension is really nice on the highway, seems well planted and confident at around 75 MPH, as for the "twisties" I still have hours of dialing-in to do because I think once you start adding rear wheel alignment mods there is a bit of a can-of-worms that has to be sorted through.

More later.

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
225 x 60 x 14

I have had 225 x 60 x 14 on my Alpina wheels for 10 years. Those 10 year old Michelin Pilots are being removed this winter and will be replaced with new BF Goodrich (which are basically Michelin tires).
After talking to a lot of people I have decided to stay with 225 x 60 on all four wheels rather than go for a staggered look by putting narrower tires on the front.
The tires in this size fill the wheel well, have plenty of cushioning sidewall and a lot of grip.

restart

Reaction score
14" stock wheel valve stems

I am trying to get one more go-round with my many stock 14 inch wheels so I grabbed a bunch of 14" tires for the fleet. I am trying bfg 14inch 205s,215s,225s. Just for fun I also got some falcon/ohtsu/ ziex 195/14s for comparison.
The only tires I have actually driven on so far are the 215 bfg's. They seem quiet and smooth and traction totally adequate in the sketchy weather lately here on the Sunshine Coast,BC.

One annoyance running those oversize 215s is that the car gets dirty from the extra width outside the wheel well.

I am looking forward to switching RSN to the 195/14 Japanese made ohtsu for a real life handling comparison.
Anyways, my point....

The stock alloy wheel has a very deep .453 hole for the valve stem(relative to e30s) and I didn't feel comfortable with a regular tr413 Schrader rubber valve stem. BMW calls for part number 36121119332 metal valve stem.
Being impatient I searched around for something local and came up with
tru flate tr416 as in the pic. My old valve stem is next to it. I have seen many many old BMW alloy wheels with the standard rubber valve stems. Is this a good idea?

At 3$ canadian each, I may just take the rubber gasket from the tru flate and use it on the original valve stem. Or if your wheels have standard Schrader rubber valves and you want to switch to metal, this may be an easy and economical way. I am sure one could source the correct rubber gasket on its own?

As you can see in the pic the threads on the new valve are shorter than the original so I will put the stem in, lubricate the seal and pull the stem in a few threads with the nut but without the outer washer, remove the nut, put the washer on and replace the nut.

Not for purists but may work for some.
Cheers
Al

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 165

restart

Reaction score
Tru flate valve stem tr416 inconsistencies

Re Got 4 of the tru flate tr416s today. The threads for the locknut are 1/4 of an inch shorter than the tr416 I mentioned yesterday. Same box same number same gaskets. Different thread. There is not enough thread on the stem to get through alloy wheel.
Weird.
I have 4 more from a different supplier coming on Monday. We shall see....
Here is a pic of the new incorrect tr416 stem.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 142

restart

Reaction score
Valve stem installed

Here is a pic of the initial tru flate tr416 installed.

so, bottom line.....inconsistent product from tru-flate. You need at least 1/2 inch of thread to get through the rim and secure the lock nut.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 160

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Here is a pic of the initial tru flate tr416 installed.

so, bottom line.....inconsistent product from tru-flate. You need at least 1/2 inch of thread to get through the rim and secure the lock nut.

I have the same issue and was hoping to order what you ordered. I see that FCP has the OEM part number you mention, how about ordering that one?

restart

Reaction score
Valves and grommets

Most of your favorite part suppliers will have the bimmer part. Ecs, eeuro,fcp,bavauto etc. I wanted something fast and cheap and local. Even at the cheapest of the above they were 6 bucks each and 40 shipping. That's almost 100 canadian dollars and 2 weeks away. Like I said I am

Do you have your original stems with an old gasket or did you find someone used the standard rubber stem?

Ya, the consistency in the tr416 that I got is peculiar...All the online pics of the tr416 have longer threads than the last 4 I got. I need to get to the bottom of that Monday.

Most good tire shops will have some clamp in metal stems. The issue is that hole in the bimmer alloys is just so deep so you need a minimum of 1/2 inch of thread.I can guarantee if you head over to your local tire shop and ask to look through their removed valve stem bucket you will find lots of valves. Maybe even some decent gaskets. Problem is, most of them are brass and it clashes with my silver wheels:evil:

If one found a source for the grommets one could use old stems.
http://yourtireshopsupply.com/product/6786/grommet-0453-diameter-valve-hole-di537

I am sure I have seen that hat shaped grommet somewhere else. They are most likely used in plumbing and also in tire pressure monitoring systems. I just can't remember where?? I am still poking around trying to find grommets.
I have 4 more stems coming on Monday I will forward the details when I have them in hand.

Haltec, Slime, Dill Eaton etc. seem to make that grommet so they are out there.
I just haven't found an easy source Similar tyle of valve stem is used on motorcycles, trucks, and cars that go over 130mph:cool:. Needs a .453 diameter hole and a step.

I sure have become long winded in my old age!:(

Tire rack trailer tsp kit has .45 grommet
http://www.tirerack.com/accessories/detail.jsp?ID=272&category=Tire+Pressure+Monitoring+Systems

More examples for reference...
http://www.ryderfleetproducts.com/d...amp-in-steel-1-1-4"-long-p-c28-vs902cr50

http://m.summitracing.com/search/part-type/tire-valve-stem-grommets?ibanner=MobileSwitchYes

http://www.grainger.com/category/ti.../fleet-and-vehicle-maintenance/ecatalog/N-k46

http://www.was.co.za/products.php?prod_id=100&expandable=4

http://www.chinasoong.com/TIRE-VALVES-Clamp-in-Tubbeless-Valves.htm

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 163

restart

Reaction score
Valve stem for 14 inch alloy

So,
In the end I used a motorcycle valve stem. Perfect.
I would be curious how many people are running rubber stems. One is too many:)

Cheers
A

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 130
Last edited: