Carpet set

P

poadb

Hi!

I bought a complete carpet set for my 3.0 CS from person that decided to end his restoration project.

I need a picture that shows how the different pieces should be arranged in relation to each other. Pictures can be mailed to:
[email protected]

Also, I welcome tips how I should install the carpet, such as what type of glue etc.

Thanks, Per Osterberg

jhjacobs

Reaction score
Fun job. I just did mine. Plan on lots of interior disassembly before starting and a good vacuum cleaning. Hopefully your old carper comes up as easily as mine.

I installed mainly using contact cement (I needed 1.2 quarts) from any hardware store and several throw away brushes (I went through 3-4 of them). For the more tricky bits such as sharp bend and limited support areas, I used fast drying weatherstrip adhesive (any auto store); I needed 2 tubes. I also kept a supply of single edge razor blades handy.

Once you determine the order of installation (important) ... lay a carpet piece in place and determine if any cuts are needed (back panel and fron front side panels that wrap around complex corners). I would often use a marker to outline the glue area when it wasn't obvious.

Then I applied glue to the car surface (abiding my marks) and carefully placed the carpet down and rubbed - the idea being for the carpet to pick up a glue outline. I then pulled the carpet back up and gave it a coat of glue where it made contact. With both pieces glued I would put them back together, rub, wait about 2 minutes and pull them apart. This activates the contact adhesive. After another few minutes you stick them together, position carefully, and rub into place. You should plan to rub each piece down a few times over the next half hour as you are doing new pieces. In areas where I wanted to ensure an extra good bond I would apply weatherstrip adhesive from a tub (both surfaces) instead (some corners and edges)

The first piece I installed was the back panel with the vinyl top edge. I used weatherstrip adhesive and set the top vinyl first using lots of spring clamps and binder clips. I then cut an undersized notch for the drive shaft area and then carefully slit the channel in a few places with a razor so that it laid down nicely.

The pieces I did last were the trim bits around the seat; the small goofy peices and the pieces shaped like an apple with a notch out ot it (this had to be clamped).

I chose to do mine on a cold day. This made it necessary to bring a small space heater into the car with me. Other than AvGas and Napalm, few things are better in a small area with a heater than contact cement. At least it was better than being in the house with my wife and daughter. :twisted:

I've provided a simple drawing showing the relative placement of the pieces - hopefully you can read my bad penmanship!. I've also numbered the pieces in to a general order of installation (from my recent experience) and noted cut areas and area I recommend weatherstrip adhesive.
493f67e4a1e254e2411c712272f46b5b.jpg

I think I drew the pieced by the door (by seat) inverted? :?:

P

poadb

Great answer + I would really appreciate a drawing.

Thanks, Per

jhjacobs

Reaction score
I really like the "edit" function. You can confuse people!

Some photos of the pieces that had me confused for more than a while:

This is the "apple with bite taken" piece - it wraps around the seat mount area. It could be put on first but I waited until the end because I had no clue where it went. Play with it a bit and it will come to you. If not, drop me a line.
fa07b221aa0f744a22a4c724c7abf9e6.jpg

This is the most silly piece. I had to cut the rubber grommet from my old piece and glue it down. I also had to un-sew edge binding that ran too far up under the molding. In all cases I trimmed of the extra edge molding.
756ae8e3076b3e39e4dbe750be4e12af.jpg

P

poadb

Reply and thanks

Great drawing - thank you VERY much.

I have two final questions:

Could you please describe what A) contact cement is and what B) fast drying weatherstrip is.

I am a little bit unshure since English is not my native language.

Thanks, Per

jhjacobs

Reaction score
No problem:

Contact cement is designed for bonding items with flat surfaces like counter tops. You normally apply it to both items, press together, pull apart, wait a minute two and then push together. It will bind while allowing you to slowing reposition to an exact fit. It is similar to rubber cement and it remains somewhat flexible. On carpet it can be pull apart if needed (medium strength bond)
I used (but any brand will do): http://www.dap.com/product_details.aspx?product_id=35

Weatherstrip adhesive is used for gluing rubber seals on to cars. Things like trunk gaskets, door seals, hood seals. It is often yellow but it comes in black and other colors. Most car part stores will have it.
I used: http://www.permatex.com/products/au...matex_Black_Super_Weatherstrip_Adhesive_a.htm

P

poadb

Perfect, I believe that I am all set for "attacking" the job/carpet.

Thanks, Per

Dan Wood

Site Donor
Reaction score
jhjacobs
Thanks for sharing the carpet installation sequence. I am just starting on a World Upholstery carpet set.
This will save me a lot of time figuring out the puzzle.
Dan

Dan Wood

Site Donor
Reaction score
Any idea where to find this rubber piece that goes around the seat track release? The one in the pic was removed from the original carpet. Thanks.

Attachments

• Carpet 3.jpg
    Carpet 3.jpg
    444.3 KB · Views: 121

dave v. in nc

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Like Dan, I would like to know if there is such an animal available...I know from him that the World Uph set doesn't have them...do any of the other suppliers of carpet sets have this feature? Foot and heel pads are sort of generic on sets, but this is a pretty specific part that I'm guessing new sets don't have, even the German ones? My guess is that even the German sets don't feature the vinyl flaps, that cover the seat rails, either?