In-tank pump

Mike Goble

Reaction score
I had a failure of my in-tank pre-supply pump Tuesday afternoon out on the road near Vacaville. Fortunately I had my spare and was back on the road in 30 minutes. My spares are used pumps I get at Pick-n-Pull so I thought I might get me a new one.

I went to RealOEM to see the part number of the pump, and it turns out that they don't list the pump by itself, instead you have to buy the whole support bracket.

Does anyone know where I might get just the VDO pump?

afeustel

Site Donor $
Reaction score
The R3v discussion seems to imply this is for a 2 pump system. I believe many of us are running a single in tank pump (I am). Will this GM pump supply the 35-40 psi at the rail?

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
For you Drew....

Fuel Pump: GSS340 Fuel Pump Kit: A kit will be required depending on your application. The Walbro high output in-tank electric fuel pumps are available in flow ratings of 255 liters of fuel per hour. These particular pumps flow significantly more fuel at higher pressure. For example, at 80 PSI the standard 255 lph pump will flow around 132 liters (35 gallons) per hour. At that same 80 PSI the equivalent HP (high pressure) fuel pump will flow over 210 liters (50 gallons) per hour. Walbro in-tank electric fuel pumps utilize a proven gerotor design. The outside dimensions, however, are compact enough to fit existing hanger assemblies, without modification.

afeustel

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Thanks Don...I had a feeling that $25 GM pump was just not going to cut it.

Mike Goble

Reaction score
ctrp-1109-01%2bbrake-specific-fuel-consumption.jpg

With an easily achievable BSFC of .500, a 225 hp motor will use 18 gallons of fuel per hour. 35 gph will support nearly 450 hp, and if you have improved the BSFC with better combustion chambers, exhaust efficiency, etc, it's even more.

http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/engine/ctrp-1109-brake-specific-fuel-consumption/

aearch

Site Donor $
Reaction score
another pump

i installed an 85 318i in tank pump for the s38
does anyone know which connector goes to thge elect
plug also the inlets seems to be factory sealed
do you just stick a driver in to pop it open