Alpina style lugs

EJ333

Reaction score
I had my 14" FPS 20 spoke turbines refinished and with black satin centers. What are the recommended lug nuts ( style & finish) that simulate the Alpina look without the hefty price tag ? Recommended vendors ?

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
well you can buy a set from coupeking - $125 / set of 20 ...
i have seen some on ebay from other people for a lot less.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
You have a few options. My 'virtual' restoration capabilities far exceed my physical. ;)

I bought these - I'm waiting for the seller to confirm that they will ship to the US. The ad says worldwide. This is $10 + Shipping instead of $120 from coupeking. They are galvanized like a grade 5 bolt, not chrome.

http://www.ebay.de/itm/20-x-Radmutt...45?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_77&hash=item20fa14c259
$_57.JPG

Another alternative is a stainless capped Dorman wheel nut. They are $50 for the set, saving you $70. If you are handy with a polisher, you can get these to a mirror-like finish. Personally, I'm not a fan of capped lug nuts. If the cap comes off, you are stuck with a funky sized nut. I've had it happen once before, but the wheel nuts were very old.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...-43.8mm-length-quantity-10-611-291/10043900-P
10043900_dag_611291_alt1_larg.jpg

EJ333

Reaction score
Markos,
Please let us know how these work for you esthetics-wise. When I had my wheels installed on the Coupe today, my wheel & tire guy placed a sample lug next to the wheel just to check for looks. I told him it looked " too galvanized" for my taste. Right now I have the lugs that came with the Cromodoras, and they look a bit ragged. Has anyone here used black lugs ? I saw some photos on the net with e9s with black lugs, and they looked fine.
You have a few options. My 'virtual' restoration capabilities far exceed my physical. ;)

I bought these - I'm waiting for the seller to confirm that they will ship to the US. The ad says worldwide. This is $10 + Shipping instead of $120 from coupeking. They are galvanized like a grade 5 bolt, not chrome.

http://www.ebay.de/itm/20-x-Radmutt...45?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_77&hash=item20fa14c259
$_57.JPG

Another alternative is a stainless capped Dorman wheel nut. They are $50 for the set, saving you $70. If you are handy with a polisher, you can get these to a mirror-like finish. Personally, I'm not a fan of capped lug nuts. If the cap comes off, you are stuck with a funky sized nut. I've had it happen once before, but the wheel nuts were very old.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...-43.8mm-length-quantity-10-611-291/10043900-P
10043900_dag_611291_alt1_larg.jpg

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I have these, about $5 each from Mesa Performance. What do the Alpina experts say?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 238

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The coupe king ones are nice, I have had my finger on the trigger of those for a few days now.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
i am not an alpina expert, but these ones are the right thing,
chromed steel and a galvanized cap on top

Not that it matters in the grand scheme of things, but the nuts on Chris's car aren't quite the same. Think of the Alpina nuts as hexagonal bar stock that has been turned and taped. The end is flat, with a slight taper. There is no button or acorn shape to the nut. Also, they are chrome, not zinc plated or stainless.

The Coupe King nuts are the closest thing to real Alpina nuts, short of the $250 stainless ones posted on bimmerforums.

Coupe King Nuts
IMG_4902-9001.jpg

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Not that it matters in the grand scheme of things, but the nuts on Chris's car aren't quite the same. Think of the Alpina nuts as hexagonal bar stock that has been turned and taped. The end is flat, with a slight taper. There is no button or acorn shape to the nut. Also, they are chrome, not zinc plated or stainless.

The Coupe King nuts are the closest thing to real Alpina nuts, short of the $250 stainless ones posted on bimmerforums.

Coupe King Nuts

probably the point is the alpina-question, so difficult to know the real thing about the e9 alpina,...as it has not been a alpina-Factory car like later models...
the nuts you show are not original for the original e9 CSL that mounted alpina rims
the original CSL nuts are those in chris´s rims

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
This is what the BMW museum in Munich has on their CSL

I like the look of Chris's more though.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Just glad most folks like my nuts!

I didn't at first. However, after comparing your nuts to other sets that I found on google images, yours have really started to grow on me. To be honest, I'm starting to wish that I had nuts like yours.