"spare" wire connections

Bwana

Reaction score
Any idea what these two are for? The green one with the big boxy connector is directly on top of the bracket that holds the brake servo (the red one's in the background in this shot). The red one is paired up with the ground that goes to the starter ground. Neither are connected to anything and nothing is nearby to connect them to.

PC060516_zps394c7ec4.jpg

PC060514_zpsa6b6da8a.jpg

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
That red wire is not connected to starter ground but to starter positive and is there to power the main relay pin 30 for the csi model
Check the schematic key for item # 162

DWMBMW

Site Donor
Reaction score
I have a 72 CSI but it is a grey market Euro that had to be converted to carbs when it was imported back in the early 80's so it also still has a few abandoned wires left in the engine compartment. I will check tonight to see if I have any similar to yours and if they are connected to anything.

Stefan

Reaction score
Yes, the red cable should be connected to the starter were the black cable sits. The black cable should instead be connected to a socket with two cables on the other side (red and white) from the same cable tray as the red cable mentioned first.

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
64 views and no ideas?

I had an idea, if the number of loose wires is even just connect them to each other and you have no more loose wires.

Still searching for ideas when the number is odd.

Bwana

Reaction score
Looking at the second picture, the red wire doesn't have anything to connect to but it is shown in the wiring diagram connecting to the starter. And the red/black wire shows up in the wiring diagram as in the picuture.

The strange thing is I haven't touched anything and it all starts and works just fine!

I'll check the wiring diagram further tonight per sfdon suggestions.

No ideas on the green wire?

DWMBMW

Site Donor
Reaction score
starter.jpg

spare connectors.jpg

For whatever its worth attached are pics of my starter. Not sure if the wire connected to the started has a red and black interconnected under the sheathing (I pulling it back a little but saw no red). The are 2 of the box type connectors similar to your green one just behind the brake booster that I assume are from the old fuel injection system. What I do know is I better start cleaning and detailing my engine!

30csl

Site Donor
Reaction score
Bwana - I came across this thread as I like you have this red wire and green wire with box connector unconnected - when i look at the wiring diagram it seems the green wire is for an electric choke so is not needed on an FI car. On my wiring diagram it shows only black coloured wires and the black/red wire to the coil. Anyone know where this red wire is supposed to go? It is in the loom with the oil pressure sensor and temp sensor on the aux air valve.

Regards,

Rohan

30csl

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi Don, in the manual I have I am sure it was all black wires and on my car that is the way it works - the wire from the battery is black. Mine was made in 1974 - perhaps there was a change?

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I have a oct 74 csi in the shop- I'll take a pic in a few minutes.

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
image.jpeg
The red wire goes from main relay to starter exactly as the schematic shows. That's an eyelet connector with black shield over a red wire going to main relay