Coupe Prices

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
With all of the discussion around rising coupe prices, I created a 'simple' spreadsheet that I would be willing to maintain. This site accepts fairly large pics but doesn't like Word Docs or xls sheets so I can not attach it even with no data in it yet.

I would do this for US/NA coupe prices only, members would need to submit the raw data to me as I am not going to search eBay and Craigslist by myself. I used the Hagerty Valuation Guide for ratings and added a Condition 5, it's on sheet #2. What do you think and who wants to be first to submit? I can hide the VIN as I understand some would not like to post their own purchase prices.

Columns are: Model, Year, Color, Location, Price, Date, Condition, Source (eBay, CL, etc), Motor, Trans, Comments

You send me an e-mail for the sample sheet if you want. Will post condition guide shortly.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
#1:
vehicles are the best in the world. The visual image is of the best car, in the right colors, driving onto the lawn at the finest concours. Perfectly clean, the car has been groomed down to the tire treads. Painted and chromed surfaces are mirror-like. Dust and dirt are banned, and materials used are correct and superbly fitted. The one word description for #1 cars is "concours."

#2: could win a local or regional show. They can be former #1 cars that have been driven or have aged. Seasoned observers will have to look closely for flaws, but will be able to find some not seen by the general public. The paint, chrome, glass and interior will all appear as excellent. No excessive smoke will be seen on startup, no unusual noises will emanate from the engine compartment. The vehicle will drive as a new car of its era would. The one word description for #2 cars is "excellent."

#3: these possess some, but not all of the issues of a #4 car, but they will be balanced by other factors such as a fresh paint job or a new, correct interior. #3 cars drive and run well, but might have some incorrect parts. These cars are not used for daily transportation but are ready for a long tour without excuses, and the casual passerby will not find any visual flaws. "Good" is the one word description of a Hagerty Price Guide #3.

#4: daily drivers, with flaws visible to the naked eye. The chrome might have pitting or scratches, the windshield might be chipped. Paintwork is imperfect, and perhaps the fender has a minor dent. The interior could have split seams or a cracked dash. No major parts are missing, but the wheels could differ from the originals, or the interior might not be stock. A #4 car can also be a deteriorated restoration. "Fair" is the one word that describes a Hagerty Price Guide #4 car

#5: these cars may be drivable but much mechanical work is needed, body needs complete restoration and new interior (this is my definition)

We could use some other criteria as this is skewed to higher end cars.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Or maybe some version of this which I posted in May? Ignore the prices.

Rusty Parts Car with good parts $5K

Rusty Parts Car with excellent parts $10K

Driver with repairable rust that needs everything $20K

Driver with little rust but needs paint and interior $25K

Solid chassis needing only paint and interior $30K

Restored car with older repaint, decent interior $35K

Restored car with recent paint and interior, VG condition $45K and up

Restored car with excellent paint and interior, engine upgrades, needs nothing, $60K and up

Concours coupe $80K and up!

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
This is too painful.

I am proud of the car and it only reads as a 3 out of 5?
It went up by 5x since 2005 and I only bought one?

I will let sleeping coupes lie and stay out of this questionnaire.

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hi Chris, not sure if this is a good suggestion but maybe additional columns for purchase price, amount invested (parts), modifications, man hours. I know, could be a huge spreadsheet. Or, a "buyer's manual" might be in order, something with a little more detailed information- I know, it's easy for me to say-I actually started putting some stuff together, I'm up to about 10 pages but then I had to go back to work :-(

There is a brutal amount of information on this site!

David

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi Chris, not sure if this is a good suggestion but maybe additional columns for purchase price, amount invested (parts), modifications, man hours. I know, could be a huge spreadsheet. Or, a "buyer's manual" might be in order, something with a little more detailed information- I know, it's easy for me to say-I actually started putting some stuff together, I'm up to about 10 pages but then I had to go back to work :-(

There is a brutal amount of information on this site!

If the goal is to track prices to justify value, I had suggested a new "Comp" section with one car per post. This would allow conversation specific to each car:

http://www.e9coupe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17812

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Peter, I am NOT looking to track owner costs, just cars selling online, that's all. Many here track these coupes and could gather the data to send to me. Everyone wants to know how much to pay, we don't need to share our personal pain from restoration. :-?

David, Again, just looking to track actual selling prices all in one place. I could publish it occasionally with Dan's help.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Chris,

i think this is an excellent idea, although my information is 3.5 years old ... i sent it to you via email.

cheers
scott

MyFemurHurts

Reaction score
This is too painful.

Mine is also a 3, and I wish I bought it 9 years ago when I'm sure it was a lot more reasonably priced.

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
In Canada last summer you could take all the parts you want off a number 5+ E9 at the Pick and pull for $250 before they crushed it. There are deals to be had in parts cars. What are the chances of the E9 contracting 911 fever? I don't think it will.

Last edited:

x_atlas0

Reaction score
This is too painful.

I know what you mean! Makes me wish I had bought 10 so I could retire.

For reference, I bought mine in 2005 with a blown engine but minimal rust and a complete interior for $3500.

NewSixCoupe

Site Donor
Reaction score
Or maybe some version of this which I posted in May? Ignore the prices.

Rusty Parts Car with good parts $5K

Rusty Parts Car with excellent parts $10K

Driver with repairable rust that needs everything $20K

Driver with little rust but needs paint and interior $25K

Solid chassis needing only paint and interior $30K

Restored car with older repaint, decent interior $35K

Restored car with recent paint and interior, VG condition $45K and up

Restored car with excellent paint and interior, engine upgrades, needs nothing, $60K and up

Concours coupe $80K and up!

Great list, Chris. I think there's a category missing:

Original, untouched car with low mileage, patina on paint and interior, fully sorted

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Hi Chris -- I like this idea, and would vote for the layout you posted in May in my purchase thread. I think I mentioned earlier that I directed Hagerty's to this information when I insured my car because I felt their data on values was too low.

This format has the advantage of being relatively intuitive, and dovetails nicely into the older information in the Q&A section in the forum (allowing those who are particularly obsessed with their cars some historical perspective).

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
Chris, if you'd like, we can take what you gather and make a separate webpage for your data and remove the "Coupe Prices" from the FAQ page. This would allow you to show images to help explain the conditions, similar to the Rust Prone Area pages.

I'll leave it up to you..

Dan

mario1017

Reaction score
QUOTE:
Great list, Chris. I think there's a category missing:

Original, untouched car with low mileage, patina on paint and interior, fully sorted

I agree 100%
I have a hard time putting a value on my original paint, un-restored, with patina 2800cs.

Is it worth 30k?

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Again, I was contemplating a database of recent sales, pics often aren't available. I also worry that ten categories for condition is too much. I will be relying on members to pick the correct category, with that many there is bound to be confusion. Maybe I can simplify it or keep the Hagerty scale.

x_atlas0

Reaction score
Chris, if you'd like, we can take what you gather and make a separate webpage for your data and remove the "Coupe Prices" from the FAQ page. This would allow you to show images to help explain the conditions, similar to the Rust Prone Area pages.

I'll leave it up to you..

Dan

I do suppose those values are more than a touch out of date at this point; I think the group made the FAQs back in ~2007, right?