Light bulb upgrades

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
In my quest to find the brightest bulbs possible for my brake lights I saw a tip on the 2002faq about using a Honda bulb to replace the stock 21w bulbs in our cars. It's made by Stanley and it is part number 34903SF1A01. Available at dealerships but I got mine online from eBay Honda dealer southblvdhondaparts for $7 each. Because they are higher wattage I am only using them for the intermittent stop lights to avoid a possible overheating issue. Here is a pic of the bulb on the left and my existing LED on the right (which was bright in itself). This bulb also comes in the 21/5w version for the blinkers but I didn't want to go there. That is number 34906SL0A01. Make sure they are Stanley brand.

IMG_1221.JPG

I also upgraded all the festoon bulbs to a brighter one from Candlepower http://store.candlepower.com/64xefifedola.html and you can see the brighter one on the right:

IMG_1219.JPG

Last edited:

Bennett

Site Donor
Reaction score
This looks like a great upgrade. Can anyone chime in on the potential overheating issue using these bulbs in other locations?

dj_efk

Reaction score
This looks like a great upgrade. Can anyone chime in on the potential overheating issue using these bulbs in other locations?

Bumping this thread and this question - Does anyone else have anything to add on this topic (apart from going the whole hog with a @Mo Brighta setup of course! :)

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Bumping this thread and this question - Does anyone else have anything to add on this topic (apart from going the whole hog with a @Mo Brighta setup of course! :)

At some point in life I plan to investigate LED options. Dark forces deeply rooted within the incandescent circles want you to believe that there are zero options for LED alternatives. I am stubborn and prefer data over anecdotes and hearsay. I fully understand LED's inability to project in all directions, but that is handled by adding more LED's that project in all directions. This is exactly how the LED's in my bathroom, kitchen, and elsewhere are designed.

Plus we have these 360 degree LED bars now. I have them in my foyer and they are bright AF when set to high.

C35-6W-2700K-CANDELABRA-E12-LED-600x600.jpg

dj_efk

Reaction score
So last night, with a glass of wine in me, I searched for Honda Stanley bulbs. I got some shipped from Canada to the UK for about £30, which is expensive for a set of light bulbs but they’re not available from any reputable suppliers in Europe because they’re specifically made for the North American market.

HOWEVER. I then found a website called Better Car Lighting that looked promising, so I thought I’d write to the guy (one man band) with an enquiry on what he can do for “our“ cars. Almost straight away he replied - This looks to be an excellent option for RHD coupes and those elsewhere that want better rear lighting:

Good morning David, and thank you for the enquiry.

I have been fortunate enough to have supplied upgrade lighting for a good many classic BMWs in the past decade and would be happy to include yours on the list. Everything is designed and developed by me and comes with a 14 day money-back guarantee. In the case of the new range of MOT-friendly high power LED headlight upgrades, they also come with a 5 yr warranty.

The prices are as follows:-
H4 Classic Car high power LED headlight upgrade kit £129.99+VAT
H1 Ditto £99.99+ VAT
207 Matching colour LED front sidelight bulbs £15.98 + VAT (pair)
382 Super canbus LED orange high power indicator bulbs with inboard electronics to allow use with OE flasher systems £79.98 + VAT ( 4 )
4 Bulb LED high power red tail and brake light bulb set £59.99+VAT
382 High power LED reversing lights (pair) £ 29.99 + VAT
39mm Fully enclosed LED festoon bulbs for rear No plate lights (pair) £11.98+VAT

I cannot quote for P&P without a) knowing the size of an order, and b) a delivery location.

Best regards,
Gil Keane.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The ones I bought were recommended by Gary W. here when I followed him on the freeway in the early morning hours last year. The running lights are noticeably brighter but not too bright, the stop light was a huge improvement. These LEDs have elements around the entire bulb so work well with the existing reflector and generate no heat unlike a higher wattage standard bulb. I have added them to my NK and e12, my wife has commented that she likes the increased visibility they provide.

Mo Brighta

Reaction score
Bump-
I use, sell, and recommend the 'Stanley' bulbs used in US Honda cars. They are not made by Stanley, but another supplier makes them to the same spec. I install them in about all my restoration work for front and rear - brake, turn, reverse lights - tails excepted, they get the high output German Narva bulbs. So far (16 years) I've had one complaint - a brake light switch failed 'ON' and melted the plastic socket (the reflector and lens were OK). This was a late E30 with plastic bulb carriers.

Best answer is good bright and safe lamps with restored reflectors, which direct all that light outwards through the lens. I will be posting a new topic in this forum with pictures... Let's keep the idiots out of our trunks!!!