1970 2800CS/USA Hello all,

Robertsocal

Reaction score
First off I am sorry if I have chosen the wrong forum.I need a bit of advice and guidance with my new car. I am brand new to these so I am struggling with contacts for parts and such, and I am SUPPOSED to be selling this, so I was wondering if someone could give me an idea on that. I have been told 18-35k for this car, seems a big spread.

Car is original except for the steering wheel and rims, they are in the trunk and will be going on with new tires any day (205/50/16 or/and 215-50/16?). OR?

There is one small spot of rust bubble in the left front fender in front of the door. The strut tower is clean.

The Right rear window is not working, I have yet to get to that. I could use some window felts, but they are alright.

Everything in the interior work with the exception of the horn and windshield wipers. I received this car from my father in-law who has had it since 97? He said the horn would beep at times, so he took the fuses out.. Gotta luv him.:D I will be looking at that also,

The car has been in his garage in Oregon for several years, he probably did not start it for 1-2 years. She started up fine and is running well, though I plan to do some tuning.

I would change the gas hoses, probably coolant hoses, and power steering hoses. The power steering does have a leak. I believe it is a seal but will change all the lines and reckeck while im there.She has a few dings/scuffs from the tires on the front two fenders because the 2255016 on it are just too big.

The seat are a bit worn up front, but the interior is good. There is a crack in the windshield about 1.5 inches long? I didn't really measure, it is all the way to the right side.

New brakes and hoses all around. The car is is really good shape actually for 69000K miles and being old.

ll post some more pics also, Thanks!

Robertsocal

Reaction score
Here are a few pics, more coming

Attachments

• P1050065.jpg
    P1050065.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 144
  • P1050067.jpg
    P1050067.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 132
  • P1050068.jpg
    P1050068.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 134
  • P1050069.jpg
    P1050069.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 123
  • P1050070.jpg
    P1050070.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 126

Robertsocal

Reaction score
Keep scrolling! more pics

Here are a few more

Attachments

• P1050074.jpg
    P1050074.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 138
  • P1050078.jpg
    P1050078.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 166
  • P1050083.jpg
    P1050083.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 142
  • P1050085.jpg
    P1050085.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 151
  • P1050086.jpg
    P1050086.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 146

Robertsocal

Reaction score
Last set for now

I appreciate any thoughts

Attachments

• P1050088.jpg
    P1050088.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 140
  • P1050091.jpg
    P1050091.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 122
  • P1050097.jpg
    P1050097.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 131
  • P1050110.jpg
    P1050110.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 125
  • P1050109.jpg
    P1050109.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 139

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Go to the Registry and see if there is any information about the car. If not, please register it. http://www.e9-driven.com/Search.asp

Yes, you should replace all of the rubber parts and check the condition of the tires.
Temecula is close enough to La Jolla to get an inspection from La Jolla Independent, your local experts in BMW Coupes. If you intend to sell it, then you could have them perform a Pre Purchase Inspection and get an idea of the car's value. Or at least a good idea of what major issues need to be addressed before posting it for sale.

If you plan to sell it you will need a lot more photos. Take pictures of the rust prone areas from top and bottom. http://www.e9coupe.com/buyers_guide/index.htm

Open the tool kit, take pictures. Pull back the carpet on the floor.

From what I can see, it looks like a very unmolested car in pretty good shape. Are you sure the mileage is 69K and not 169K or 269K? Do you have any provenance, who owned before your father-in-law etc?

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Interesting car. Radio, cloth interior, manual front windows, and heater signage look like Euro, but other items look like US version. Valuable radio knobs! Repaint obviously but not clear when or how many times. The uneven wear between driver seat and rear seat indicates it has more miles than 69k as suggested. Choice of wheels and steering wheel means sports oriented owner and increases the chance that records were kept so the history back to 97 may be known. Every car I own has a notebook in its glovebox with its service history, am I such an alien creature to expect that in every car?
I think that the E9 aficionado's market is so cost transparent that it would not make a difference if all the repairs are made or sold as is at a lower price, unless new owner does his own work and that cost is not factored in. Still would be fun to restore and maybe talk the family into keeping it or keep waiting for further appreciation, afaik we are not being taxed for capital gains in cars, are we?

jmackro

Reaction score
.... it would not make a difference if all the repairs are made or sold as is at a lower price, unless new owner does his own work and that cost is not factored in. Still would be fun to restore and maybe talk the family into keeping it or keep waiting for further appreciation

If you really plan on selling it, I would leave it pretty much as-is. Just fix enough so the buyer can drive it home safely and confidently. It is tough to get your money out of restoration work.

I like Arde's advice to talk the family into keeping it. From the little information that we have, I'd guess this car is closer in value to the $18K end of your range. My sense is that it would take more than $17K to make this into a $35K car. Of course, the other heirs probably watch "Chasing Classic Cars" and think this is a six-figure goldmine.

afaik we are not being taxed for capital gains in cars, are we?

Strictly speaking, you are supposed to pay taxes on any capital gain. In practice, when you sell a car for a few thousand, no one worries about it - sort of like Internet sales tax. But as our dear state shares more information between agencies like the DMV and the FTB, I'm sure the day will come when vehicle sellers will receive a notice of taxes due following a sale.

Last edited:

Robertsocal

Reaction score
Hi Arde, you are right that it could be 169000, but I highly doubt it. I am fairly certain in hasn't driven more than 10000 miles since 1997, if that.

I stopped while writing this and did a "InstaVin" report on her, that was a waste of 7 bucks! I was told the car was in Ohio with three thousand miles, when I know it was in Oregon with over 50k at that time I don't recommend that service.

I was not really worried about fixing the little stuff, but I felt it would make it more appealing to those who didn't want projects, and would make me feel better knowing I did. I can have most of this done in a few week without breaking a sweat, if I could get all the parts!

When I was saying I did not know anything about this car, I meant that model. I was a master mechanic prior to switching careers.

And the vin is a USA car from the sequencing, but I don't know, the radio is a Blaupunkt that seems to be period correct though. I would love to keep it and restore it, but the money was supposed to be part of the new home down payment, so its a struggle!

I need to find some better sources for parts though.

Robert

Attachments

• P1050099.jpg
    P1050099.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 131
  • P1050101.jpg
    P1050101.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 118
  • P1050115.jpg
    P1050115.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 105
  • P1050110.jpg
    P1050110.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 107
  • P1050109.jpg
    P1050109.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 106

Robertsocal

Reaction score
This site is cool.

Stan,

I think I was answering some of your responses when I posted to Arde. it could have more miles but my pops in-law swears it doesn't and mechanically it does not look it.sure is fun to drive, I am a muscle car guy normally, but I like this.

I have a 67 Mustang that has 25K on it that Im rebuilding the engine on. That one sat in my uncles shop for 30 years in Kansas and never left his land. Kids love it, Im not really a Ford guy though.

I will need to hunt for my parts for this one and get it done so I can do the other again.

Robert

Attachments

• P1050103.jpg
    P1050103.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 115
  • P1050111.jpg
    P1050111.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 109
  • P1050089.jpg
    P1050089.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 104
  • P1050096.jpg
    P1050096.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 113
  • P1050114.jpg
    P1050114.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 111

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The radio is fine, and has the valuable knobs :).
I love the manual front windows, rare to find.
If you are a master mechanic then doing the mechanicals makes lots of sense.
The VIN databases are anomalous for E9s, you have to email Germany and you will get the early history of the car. I bet it was European delivery at birth.
Regarding the mileage if you at least have the PO testimonial that helps at least convince yourself these are original miles. As for keeping or selling I would not offer opinions on whether houses or cars are more of a money sink.

gwittman

Reaction score
The heater controls and signage are just like mine and my 70 2800 CS is most definitely a US version. I also have the manual front windows. I would say this car has what it should for a US car.

The cloth seats are unusual though. Maybe a redo.

Robertsocal

Reaction score
The heater controls and signage are just like mine and my 70 2800 CS is most definitely a US version. I also have the manual front windows. I would say this car has what it should for a US car.

I just now saw an add on EBAY for the sam exact seats

Mike Pelly

Reaction score

My 2800 has manual front windows, its a US VIN

Robertsocal

Reaction score
My 2800 has manual front windows, its a US VIN

Mike,
I just found out that the cloth seats are original, I can even get a new set made from the original cloth, odd as it is!

The manual front windows and stereo are also stock. So we have 2 of the 415 us builds huh? Hmmm they worth anymore?

Rob

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
1167 2800CS were delivered to the US/NA vs. 2557 3.0CS so not especially more rare other than fewer probably have survived. And 8232 built for rest of the world. Add it to our Registry, bottom left on that page is a link to the BMW Archive to get the build date, color and destination. May have been delivered to Canada if it has cloth seats.

Mike Pelly

Reaction score
VIN comparison

My BMW 2800 CS US VIN 2270309 was manufactured on May 12th, 1970 and delivered on June 11th, 1970 to the BMW importer Hoffman Motors Corp. in New York City. The original colour was Tundra metallic, paint code 068. It has the manual front windows.

Robertsocal

Reaction score
( May have been delivered to Canada if it has cloth seats.[/QUOTE]

It was a US car and got sent to Uganga! She didnt like it there I guess.