72 Restomod clubracer build

bdigel

Reaction score
This is amazing! I am particularly interested in how the rear wheel well is bridged to the flares and any duct work that goes back there. Thanks again for posting- feel like I'm a fly on the wall!

thanks Peter ! there wont be any duct's in the panels and the interior liner of the fenders won't be all that exciting, essentially it will be a sheet of aluminum pop riveted to the old metal inner fender to the fiberglass exterior
stay tuned .

Thanks to Mario at VSR I got my rear wing today ! a very nice piece

001.JPG

002.JPG

Crime Dog

Reaction score
Hood

I've been interested in seeing how your hood looks, and what you are going to have to do to make it look right. I think yours is from MrGlassCars, as is mine. Mine is actually kinda concave when you sit it on the car, so I guess I'm going to have to support it up in the middle off of the strut tower brace, and hold it down at the corners with the hood pins to make it look right. Probably not that bad a condition at speed, since the hood is so thin.

bdigel

Reaction score
I've been interested in seeing how your hood looks, and what you are going to have to do to make it look right. I think yours is from MrGlassCars, as is mine. Mine is actually kinda concave when you sit it on the car, so I guess I'm going to have to support it up in the middle off of the strut tower brace, and hold it down at the corners with the hood pins to make it look right. Probably not that bad a condition at speed, since the hood is so thin.

I will probably reinforce mine by expoxying in some sort of reinforcement on the bottom side of the hood , to give it some structure .

The Guys at the body shop made some great progress this week, 3 of the flares are now permanently mounted and smoothed in , they also started mocking in the front spoiler , its really exciting to see the progress on the exterior of the car

016.JPG

the driver side fender glued in place with the special expoxy .

017.JPG

the driver side quarter ready for the flair to be mounted , the rust repaired, the wheel cut out and everything all smoothed out .

010.JPG

the pass. side flares mounted and smoothed in

011.JPG

012.JPG

013.JPG

014.JPG

a shot of the rear

018.JPG

the front spoiler getting mocked up

022.JPG

025.JPG

024.JPG

023.JPG

026.JPG

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
When are you giving tours? I think it would be cool to invite any forum members to visit on a particular Saturday, you see I'm not very shy or subtle, which I think is a quality although that sentiment is not shared by all- I might volunteer to provide beer :) We, of course, would have to be allowed to take pictures and we could all have dinner at your house! Sound good? We're all just waiting for you to pick a date :)

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
When are you giving tours? I think it would be cool to invite any forum members to visit on a particular Saturday, you see I'm not very shy or subtle, which I think is a quality although that sentiment is not shared by all- I might volunteer to provide beer :) We, of course, would have to be allowed to take pictures and we could all have dinner at your house! Sound good? We're all just waiting for you to pick a date :)
i can assure you that the atlanta crowd will all drive their coupes to watch
Brendan's inaugural race here in atlanta. we will be there to wish him across the finish line in first place ... and drink with him afterwards.

bdigel

Reaction score

I welcome that , that sounds like a good time !!
Ill have to have a unveiling party !

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
i went by RWL today + met Brendan. truly a great guy. the car is out at the paint shop, but i saw the engine + its perfect. i also saw the e12 that he put an s54 into. quite the car. there were a lot of interesting vintage P cars in the shop - including a nice red soft rear window 911s targa.

he handed me some glass + light parts off of the coupe being restomoded into a great race car. when somebody on the forum puts up a request looking for a part ... and if i have that part that came from his car ... it will be sent to the forum member for just the shipping cost. my stipulation is to continue Brendan's generosity - that these parts are never to be sold - only put on your coupe or given to somebody else to put on their coupe.

cheers
scott

bdigel

Reaction score
Thanks Scott, Nice to meet you, hope to meet more of you guys sometime

got up to the body shop this afternoon here's one quick shoot of the progress

009.JPG

Ill post more later

Crime Dog

Reaction score
Wing Shot

I dig how parallel everything looks from the rear - wing, rollcage crossbars, etc. Nice work, Brendan, SyncroDesignWorks, etc!

bdigel

Reaction score
the rest of the body shop pictures from last week

001.JPG

002.JPG

003.JPG

the pass side panels all smoothed in ready for paint

004.JPG

fitting in the grill

005.JPG

008.JPG

010.JPG

detail shots of the wing

009.JPG

Kizilsakal

Site Donor
Reaction score
Terrible, Terrible.... Such a waste of time and money...
shame it turned out like this..
I can take it off your hands if you want to save yourself from this endless pit..
:)

Crime Dog

Reaction score
Looking great, BD! What did you/they use to fasten the wing uprights to the trunk deck and the wing? I think I have the same pieces (from Coupe Guy?), but they have no holes or threaded inserts. Thanks. Mark Mc

alanmcg

Reaction score
since you now have that cool cut-out in the side for the exhaust, are you going to fill in the stock cutout in the rear? would look really clean from the rear.

bdigel

Reaction score
since you now have that cool cut-out in the side for the exhaust, are you going to fill in the stock cutout in the rear? would look really clean from the rear.

ha , that's funny , the body guy and I were just talking about that yesterday ! great minds think alike , that's exactly what will be done, maybe even this week.

they had some rough weather this week in north Ga and power was in a nd out , no the less the gang at Custom color works got some more work done .David got the last panel on and has started to smooth it in . Its been a lot of work to get the panels to fit and look right, But David has really done from what I can tell a fantastic job. watching these guys work has been fun . Its a real art form . I was horrified at how poorly the panels fit when I placed them on the car my self and truly thought , "this car is going to look like **** " Dave and Andy quickly calmed my concerns , and basically said all kits are like this , and this one actually isn't that bad . even the good parts require some mesageing , and Dave has really brought it all together

010.JPG

Dave admires his work

012.JPG

013.JPG

glamour shots of the front fender

014.JPG

rear quarter is on, and getting smoothed in

015.JPG

getting close to being ready for primer

bdigel

Reaction score
Sent the front suspension out to get powder coated, along with a few other pieces. Im really excited at how they turned out!

003.JPG

the entire front suspension layed out including the subframe

009.JPG

from the side

002.JPG

detail shot of the control arms

004.JPG

005.JPG

close up of the shifter plate

016.JPG

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
We are all so child-like when it comes to these cars, I think 02 owners are similar too but not sure of any other "marque" that elicits such boyish mentality. We all are BEING young, not just trying to be.

Great fun!

bdigel

Reaction score
QUOTE=alanmcg;130758]since you now have that cool cut-out in the side for the exhaust, are you going to fill in the stock cutout in the rear? would look really clean from the rear.[/QUOTE]

014.JPG

got all the holes filled in , also notice the car exterior is in primer !
Ill post up more pictures later