1972 Coupe at Fantasy Junction

bubukitty

Reaction score
Here is a link to a Chamonix '72 coupe for sale at Fantasy Junction in Emeryville, CA, just east of San Francisco. The drivetrain is highly modified twin turbo engine and 5-speed conversion. The pictures of the car show it to be in very nice overall shape, inclusive of the interior. Underneath looks very nice too. Price is $68,600. It has wheels off of a later 540i and would probably look (IMHO) nicer with Alpinas. Sounds like the owner is a BMW mechanic. Just as information only....no affiliation.

http://www.fantasyjunction.com/cars/1370-BMW-3.0 CS Coupe-3.0 Litre Twin-Turbo 6-Cylinder

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
It was for sale two years ago and discussed here. Must have originally been a Canadian coupe with manual front windows, CA plates are from mid 90s. Looks like the restorer had a bunch of engine bay decals and said to himself, "I think these might look good here."

jmackro

Reaction score
I hate the stereo installation:

73974.jpg

73982.jpg

73985.jpg

bubukitty

Reaction score
I noticed the weird speaker location too and did not care for it. I wonder what he was asking for the car a couple of years ago when it was last discussed?

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I saw the same stereo installation on a '96 Honda Civic low rider that could pivot off its front and rear wheels and whistle Dixie at the same time. And where is the rare blue cloth? And some missing tools?

craterface

Site Donor
Reaction score
I hope he gets his price, but somehow I think not. I am not sure the turbo motor adds much in value. Would be infinitely more enticing with an s38 lump from an M5. Underside is pretty nice, but the trunk, stereo, and engine compartment need help. My Ferrari came with a stereo that looks like that, and I cringe every time I look at it. Eccchhh.

bert35csi

Site Donor
Reaction score
All in all, a pretty nice coupe, the atrocious stereo aside. The coupe may not get it's asking price, but maybe 45-50k may fetch it.

Before I bought my present coupe back in 2002, I had dropped by fantasy Junction and inquired about any E9s in their inventory, and their reply was "we only deal with rare and high priced classic cars". Well, guess time has changed their thoughts on the CS coupes. But to their credit, they have sold a few nice CSLs throughout the years though.

riverflyer

Reaction score
Funny, I met the guy who built that at a car show in the east bay. We had a great talk and exchanged contact info. A few years later, I tried to contact him, but his business card was for a co. that went out of business and I could not track him down. Spoke with Bruce at FJ and it is the same car. I know the former owner spent freely on the job. I just bought another coupe last week and am no longer in the market but hope this goes to a good home.

bubukitty

Reaction score
Just saw this car in person today at FJ. Very nice overall. Big paint run on the hood that will require fixing. Overall quality of the repaint was mostly good. I sat in it and the interior was nice except for the weird stereo speakers in the footwells. Toolkit is mostly complete. Overall a nice resto mod coupe. Very expensive though. The seller may have big bucks invested the car that they may not be able to re"coupe". (Sorry, couldn't resist):lol:

rwolak

Reaction score
Just saw this car in person today at FJ. Very nice overall. Big paint run on the hood that will require fixing. Overall quality of the repaint was mostly good. I sat in it and the interior was nice except for the weird stereo speakers in the footwells. Toolkit is mostly complete. Overall a nice resto mod coupe. Very expensive though. The seller may have big bucks invested the car that they may not be able to re"coupe". (Sorry, couldn't resist):lol:

$68K and a big run on the hood. For that price, you should be able to shave in your reflection from the paint.