rear spoiler

matthewp

Reaction score
I am considering fitting a rear spoiler(genuine) to my car. What's the general consensus of the look ? I'm undecided. The colour of the car is sterling grey, csl arch guards, 16 inch alpinas and csl stripes. Rear spoiler....YES or NO ?

loloe13

Reaction score
Ducktail +1

I am all for the ducktail 'subtle' spoiler like Duane's car.
But question is, finding an original rubber lip spoiler is not easy

rodspock

Reaction score
Matt,

I am a fan of the pure shape of the cars without the spoiler.

I like that the CS looks different to the rear profile of my M6 (obviously with spoiler).

Perhaps you should have it painted the same colour as the car and trail fit it with double sided tape for a while. Give you time to make your mind up, and you can go back to no spoiler.

Cheers,

Rod

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
be or not to be

I really love the looks of the CS body unadorned.
HOWEVER, I really love Duane Sword's car. Losts of pictures of his car, search, look at them.
In the end, there re as many who will like as dislike. It is a period correct mod.

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
even though i love Duane's car (i had the privilege to push her into the garage !;-)), i am with the unadorned body of the e9, and there is a point on that, the body colour too, it makes a big difference which body colour is your car, whites, silver, yellow, orange,....and blue, red, green,...

if i would ever decide to go radical, i think i will turn my head towards orangener orange batmobile looking !:cool:

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
original ducktail

the real thing is pretty heavy. If your trunk torsion springs are at all worn, the trunk lid will drop with teeny provication and give you a good wack on the hand/head/whatever. Plus E9's already have a lot of stress on the trunk lids. Many of the steel ones I've seen have stress cracks around the latch, and I've never seen a city package CSL without signficant cracks in the area where the latch tongue mounts. For that reason alone, I think lightening up the trunk lid is a good thing ... which suggests the most practical setup is a light grp replica. Plus, they don't need mounting holes (as already mentioned). They can be had in black GRP, which makes replicating the rubber tip look easy and you don't have to worry about the rubber oxidizing/discoloring due to exposure and UV.

Looks wise: I agree that it depends on the color. Good on the lighter/brighter metallic colors. Mandatory on Golf, and provides a good balance if you're running a front spoiler.

RogerB

Reaction score
the real thing is pretty heavy. If your trunk torsion springs are at all worn, the trunk lid will drop with teeny provication and give you a good wack on the hand/head/whatever. Plus E9's already have a lot of stress on the trunk lids. Many of the steel ones I've seen have stress cracks around the latch, and I've never seen a city package CSL without signficant cracks in the area where the latch tongue mounts. For that reason alone, I think lightening up the trunk lid is a good thing ... which suggests the most practical setup is a light grp replica. Plus, they don't need mounting holes (as already mentioned). They can be had in black GRP, which makes replicating the rubber tip look easy and you don't have to worry about the rubber oxidizing/discoloring due to exposure and UV.

Looks wise: I agree that it depends on the color. Good on the lighter/brighter metallic colors. Mandatory on Golf, and provides a good balance if you're running a front spoiler.

I don't see how a ducktail could improve this?!!?? {:>)

Attachments

• DSC_0040.jpg
    DSC_0040.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 323
  • DSC_0039.jpg
    DSC_0039.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 376
Last edited:

2800csm5

Reaction score
I made my own. My trunk lip started rusting, so I got some foam and shaped the lip
on the rear of the trunk. I then made a mole and pulled a carbon fiber part from it.
I removed the trunk skin and replaced it with the new carbon fiber skin. I still have
the mold if anyone is interested.

Attachments

• DSC00263.jpg
    DSC00263.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 398
  • DSC00264.jpg
    DSC00264.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 308
  • DSC00262.jpg
    DSC00262.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 296

John Buchtenkirch

Reaction score
I made my own. My trunk lip started rusting, so I got some foam and shaped the lip
on the rear of the trunk. I then made a mole and pulled a carbon fiber part from it.
I removed the trunk skin and replaced it with the new carbon fiber skin. I still have
the mold if anyone is interested.

NICE JOB, I will bet that many people think it’s an original BMW manufactured panel. ~ John Buchtenkirch

iconoclast6

Reaction score
I've one of the replicas made by Hans out the BMCCA in Germany. It does add a fair amount of weight. It's an individual thing for sure, and maybe an acquired taste for the darker colors. Nonetheless, the rear look of e9's looks great with or without the ducktail spoiler.

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Does that replica have a

Real rubber lip or is it black gel coat?
The one from Zaprace is very light and looks right to me.
I'd c
Go with this over a more accurate but heavier replica.

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
I've one of the replicas made by Hans out the BMCCA in Germany. It does add a fair amount of weight. It's an individual thing for sure, and maybe an acquired taste for the darker colors. Nonetheless, the rear look of e9's looks great with or without the ducktail spoiler.

Anyone have photos of a dal blue E9 w a ducktail? You've got me second guessing my decision to do it.

Mal CSL 3.0

Site Donor
Reaction score
I just had my rear spoiler+wing+steel boot removed and the origional aluminium boot lid re installed. The steel boot lid needed to accommodate a spoiler set up was incredibly heavy and it all wobbled around at speed. The alloy lid is so light.

The highlight for me was I got to put back on my 3.0 csl badges and BMW curved boot lid roundel, which IMO look so beautiful on the boot.

So I prefer the E9 lines without any rear spoiler at all, but of course it is all down to personal choice.

IMG_3705.JPG