2800 CS for Sale

D B Couper

Reaction score
After many years of enjoyment I am selling my 2800CS. I have not posted to this forum in quite a while though I have great respect for the knowledge base of those who contribute here, so I am asking for feedback on the presentation and pricing of my car.

I bought the car in 2008 after detailing my very specific criteria to Murray Fowler, a true Coupe Icon, may he rest in peace. I specified a Nachtblau or Atlantik 3.0 CS with a five speed upgrade and preferably an engine upgrade to 3.5 liters. When Murray called me with an Agave 2800CS Automatic which had been converted to a 4 speed manual, I actually asked him if he was serious. He asked me to suspend my bias for a bit and really look at the car which he claimed was one of the best driving coupes he had experienced, and, of course, Murray had seen many, many coupes over the years. He sent photos and I was intrigued enough to put down a deposit and fly to Orange County airport to inspect the car. As I waited at curbside in that small airport, I first saw him coming in the lovely Agave coupe, then heard him downshift and come around the curve to a stop in front of me. As he loaded my luggage into the trunk, I was encouraged by how pure the car looked. He drove about five miles out of town, pulled over and said “You drive”. Within two miles I told him I would buy it and I never even haggled a dollar on the price – it was wonderful.

So why am I telling you this long story? Because I had a completely different image in my mind yet was swayed by the goodness of this car and I hope to convey that. I have driven it on two vintage rallies of over 1,000 miles each and it has been a gem, easily keeping up with well driven cars including Porsches and Ferraris on even the twistiest canyon roads or the fast lane of the Interstates. As regards rust, this is a car that carries its original paint so finding rust is easier than if it had received a refinish somewhere along the way. Also it has spent its entire life, over 40 years, in Sonoma California or Littleton Colorado, both dry benign places for old steel. And finally, it has never been washed in my ownership, per Murray’s explicit instruction, only carefully cleaned without water, and has been stored in a heated display garage unless actually being driven. It was thoroughly inspected by Murray before my purchase and was claimed by him to be as rust free a car as he had ever seen. I have seen no evidence of rust in my personal inspections nor has a friend who has a CSL. You are welcome to inspect and see for yourself.

Before my purchase, Murray wrote the following to me which I reproduce here:
“36 years of continuous E-9 Coupe ownership causes me to judge this 1971 BMW 2800 CS as a high quality example of a well maintained original E-9. It has been a California car since new, above all it is a dry-bodied, un-restored, never abused or neglected. It appears in VG original condition that shows some normal patina, mostly in the paint. VG driving condition that has averaged about 21 MPG on recent trips taken. We believe the driving experience will further benefit from a future re-build of the Zenith carbs. Cosmetics would be improved by an under-carriage steam clean and re-seal plus professional detailing of exterior and under-hood. Some minor metal and paint clean up from past normal use and time would cosmetically enhance it with the result being superior to most original E-9’s seen in recent years.”

Here are the particulars as written by Murray in 2008. The car is the same but for newer Sumitomo 205/70 X 14 tires, updated mileage and ordinary maintenance:

"1971 BMW 2800 CS Agave/Tan VIN #2280133

Original owner Roy H. Browning, 2nd owner Jim Smith purchased in 1986—friends and residents of the same community in Sonoma, California’s wine country
Current mileage 157,650—has averaged approximately 4,000 miles per year since new

Engine rebuilt at 142,801 miles, 1985 cylinder head installed (receipt dated 9/30/04)
4 speed Getrag transmission installed to replace less desirable original A/T
Transmission rebuilt at 142,940 miles (receipt dated 4/06/05)
Rear brake cylinders replaced at 143,330 miles, SST brake lines installed F/R
Front calipers and pads, rear drums and brake shoes all appear as new
All steering linkage replaced at 117,000 miles 10/6/02
Pertronix electronic ignition installed at 143,440 miles
E28 front window motors installed for fast operation, original rear motors work fine
New under-hood insulation and both seals replaced at the firewall
Has enhanced cooling system and Bilstein HD shocks all 4 corners

Original wheels were recently re-finished and are in fine condition
All chrome trim and other bright-work is in VG condition and shows well
Original carpet is clean and in excellent condition
Door panels, interior trim, bright-work and headliner in excellent original condition
Rear seats have been correctly re-covered recently and appear as new condition
Front seats were reupholstered earlier and show a little more use than rears
Dash wood is original in VG condition—Vinyl dash is un-cracked in excellent condition
Wood trim—driver door has chip near ashtray, passenger door some visible delamination
Original wood rim steering wheel—is in very good condition (Leather wheel installed)
New seals installed between door and rear quarter windows
Factory A/C with new Sanden rotary compressor and R134 refrigerant. Works well.
Blaupunkt Frankfurt AM/FM stereo is period correct with twin rear deck speakers
Electrical features are in good working condition and original clock works

Original single stage paint--nice condition with good luster showing a little patina
There are door dings and the pass side rear fender has a dent---all correctable
Trunk surfaces—all in excellent original condition—complete toolbox with all tools
No sign of structural or underbody rust discovered from careful inspection
Engine compartment solid but in need of deep surface freshening and detail"

I’d like to price it at $29,500 OBO.

Unleash your comments and let me know what you think. Thanks.

Attachments

• Eligibility_022.jpg
    Eligibility_022.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 495

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Looks beautiful.

Personally I would leave the 9.95 price suffix for Walmart merchandise and go for 30k.

Good luck.

verde2002

Site Donor
Reaction score
Very reasonable asking price based on condition and history especially considering the last two rust buckets that were on ebay sold for around $7,000 each. Good luck with the sale.

waynesie

Reaction score
You should move this to the classifieds "cars for sale" section of this forum for more interest.

Where in Colorado are you located?

D B Couper

Reaction score
Wayne,

I am in Littleton, CO a suburb of Denver. As to moving the topic to the classified, I am actually soliciting input on the value and presentation of the car rather than offering it for sale yet. When I do offer it I will have a shorter "story" and put it in the classified area.

bmwmadman

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I would suspect your vehicle has gone up in value since your purchase. Consider crossing the 30K mark!

Just my opinion as good examples are harder to find and worth more.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I sent you a PM, please let me know if interested, thanks.

Wayne,

I am in Littleton, CO a suburb of Denver. As to moving the topic to the classified, I am actually soliciting input on the value and presentation of the car rather than offering it for sale yet. When I do offer it I will have a shorter "story" and put it in the classified area.

Ed G

Site Donor
Reaction score
Take the 7k car and throw 35k into it and you can have one almost as good as your Agave.

I think your proposed asking price will be a very good deal for someone.

dave v. in nc

Site Donor $
Reaction score
agave

I spent alot of time on the phone with with our good friend, Mr. Fowler during the time frame that led to your purchase. Over the years we cussed and discussed many an e9 and 2002, and I don't recall any other car during our friendship that he spoke more highly of, in terms of "dry, honest, solid..." Just as you described. Wish I could have bought it then, or for that matter now, but we are not 'open to buy'. Best of luck with the sale. And I agree with Chris that price seems at least fair.

Dave V. in NC

Sooner

Site Donor $
Reaction score
CS

I also visited with Murray on your car, very good car and definitely worth the price! I am in Farmington, NM, see if you can make it down to the 4 Corners Rally in Pagosa August 9-12.

D B Couper

Reaction score
Thank you for all the input. It is amazing to me how many people Murray touched and thus knew about this car. I am getting the feeling that the asking price should be nearer 35K. Am I right or wrong? I guess if I don't ask I'll never know what it might be worth to someone. I don't want to be either greedy or foolish, so your input is invaluable. Keep it coming. And thanks again.

D B Couper

Reaction score
Need some photo help

You have all been quite helpful in your responses so far now I have more need of help.

In reading the comments about cars for sale I note that undercarriage shots are muy importante. My question is this: Exactly what should be photographed? Is it necessary to take the wheels off?

I will need to find a lift so I want to make it count when I get it raised up.

Thanks in advance.

Jellobmw

Site Donor
Reaction score
Put it on Bringatrailer.com. It will get a lot of exposure to both people who know a lot about cars, and, unfortunately, those who just rant and criticize. But it's a great site.

CadillacGreen

Reaction score
Does anyone know if he ended up selling it?

I see a mention in another thread about an EBay auction but the link is dead now.

Thanks!