Rain Gutter Removal and Replacement

Eric L.

Reaction score
My driver's side rain gutter is a little bent - so I would like to replace it. Does anyone here know the procedure or have any tips? I don't believe any adhesive is required. Also, I've been told that one can simply "rip" the gutter off to remove it. Sounds a little distructive, so I thought I would ask before I ruined anything.

Thanks,

Eric

corsachili

Reaction score
The trim for the rain gutters was "crimped" on at the factory. It's one of those pieces that is hard to install on a newly painted car, and which is also hard to get back in to its original shape once it's been removed once. It's made from very soft aluminum, and can be bent to shape, but I've never really been pleased with the results. I know the pieces are still available new, but I don't think it's cheap. If you gently rotate it forward (looking from the side of the car, so rotate toward the center of the roof) you can usually peel it off. Go slowly and gently and try not to change the shape too much. When it comes time to reinstall, you roll it back over, and gently (GENTLY) tap it with your hand, or with a gelhead hammer. Sometimes you can wrap the trim in masking tape to prevent damage from the hammer, or from a pair of pliers if you need to use them to crimp it on at either end.

Malc

Reaction score
If it has been removed in the past, it "never" seems to attach as tightly as before.
Often a trick is to use a none setting material to hold it in place such as a UK product known as Dum-Dum an "old style" automotive glazing putty
I think you can still get it
Malc

blumax

(deceased)
Reaction score
When re-installing rain gutter trim

Per Malc--thin application of dum-dum will also prevent the trim piece from rattling due to the small gaps between trim and underlying metal edges of roof

Eric L.

Reaction score
Thanks all. I actually have a new piece and it was quite cheap at the dealer. Thanks again!

ScottAndrews

Reaction score
If its new, you just need BMW Special Tool 87 23 54 67 54 to install it. It is available from the dealer for $3,735.99 plus shipping.

Heh Heh...

S

Malc

Reaction score
If its new, you just need BMW Special Tool 87 23 54 67 54 to install it. It is available from the dealer for $3,735.99 plus shipping.

Heh Heh...

S

Why is it the BMW Special tools are so cheap on your side of the ditch? We would pay that in pounds and have to add 17.5% VAt (sales tax) :wink:
Malc

pmansson

Reaction score
Today I was at the bodyshop where one of my cars has been resprayed, and polished for 2 days. It now looks very, very good.
We had a new rain gutter which would not wrap around at the very rear. We ended up using the original one, which now rattles a bit at 2 places.

I understand the use of Dum-dum, but need to explain to them what it does, and find a current product that might do the job.

Is it a sort of body seal that is pushed out of a large tube, and then turns solid after a while?
It is not a glue, if I understand the previous posts.

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
I am also interested on this

My original part is bent, so I intend to replace it by a new one, the retail spare part in walloth is not expensive, nor is the delivery from germany to spain, so here it is hanging from the ceilling

But I am worried about the assembly thus I am in a procastrination mood doing nothing with it

It will be really interesting to find a commercial product that does the fixing work

I would appreciate the info

thanks and regards

blumax

(deceased)
Reaction score
How to assemble and secure rain gutter trim

1) dum-dum as Malc described is a form of pliable material used in early body shops--don't know if its still available--it does not act as an adhesive--but more as a filler when used very judicially between the trim piece and the joint of the two sections of steel that are covered by the trim strip.

2) best way to instal--carefully position the trim strip nearest the lowest point of the rain gutter barely contacting the painted metal at the windshield base--attach the upper section of the trim piece over the rain gutter and then slowly, carefully roll it on taking care not to aggressively twist the strip as you work from front to rear.

If you have started at the correct point described it will fit properly. If necessary to restart slowly reverse the process to remove. Care MUST BE TAKEN as the anodized aluminum will show stress fractures if handled with too much gusto.

HTH

30csl

Site Donor
Reaction score
I find the aluminium trim that attaches above the window seals seems to get in the way of the gutter trim near the c pillar? Anyone else had this?

Rohan