Coupe spotting/hunting in Virginia

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Was up in the Charlottesville area visiting my kids at UVA, leaving our hotel in the country for the airport, heading down a back road and I comment to my wife that it looks like a 70's bmw heading our way, as it gets closer I'm thinking E3, then in range and I say holy $hit it's a coupe! What are the odds? I look at my wife and she rolls her eyes and says "ok go for it" so I whip a u-turn in the rental car and track it for 15 minutes, passing several cars till we get to a stop sign and my wife hops out to tell the shocked occupants that her insane husband wants to meet them.

Nice couple out for a drive on a perfect day in the VA rolling countryside, he just bought the car and has lurked here, I encouraged him to join the forum for reals (sorry I forgot your name if you decide to introduce yourself here-please do!)

He is going to fix it up-it has triple weber 45's and shrick/header setup.

After a few minutes of coupe-speak I apologized again for being a nutcase then set off, my wife shook her head the whole way back laughing at my behavior but I had to meet the owner.

IMG-20121111-00089.jpg

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Steve,

some of us don't think you're crazy, okay ... both of our wives think we are. but i did get an encouraging comment from my wife ... she said if i die, she will sell my wine and other cool stuff, but KEEP the coupe. sounds like an approval to spend more money on it to me. whatya think?

scott

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
My wife says I treat my coupe like an aging starlet. There are many apt comparisons to be made. She has supported my addiction these many long years and would approve of your behavior Steve. And laugh and roll her eyes too.

Steve

craterface

Site Donor
Reaction score
You are lucky your wife likes cars. My wife could not give a rip. She had no idea how into cars I was when she met me (when we met, all I could afford was a bicycle). The guy who owned Pegasus/Berlin imports there back in the day had an Orange M1, which was long the secret object of my desire.
I spent five fantastic years in Charlottesville as a medical student, and my wife spent 8 between undergrad and med school. What a fantastic place. I only hope my kids can go there. Your kids must be smart, because getting in from out of state is like getting into an Ivy.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
She likes that I like cars but doesn't really give a rip about them either although she appreciates the style of the coupe and gets a kick out of my passion for them. I had one back when we dated so there is that fortunate emotional attachment that helps me get past the weekly parts deliveries.

We tried to instill a work ethic in the kids very early on and preferably go to college with an idea of a career instead of wasting 4 years like their old man :). My daughter is in the engineering program and my son received a Jefferson scholarship and will aim for the business program. They love UVA - as you know it's a great college environment and very scenic. A nice weekend capped off with a little couping mixed in!

You are lucky your wife likes cars. My wife could not give a rip. She had no idea how into cars I was when she met me (when we met, all I could afford was a bicycle). The guy who owned Pegasus/Berlin imports there back in the day had an Orange M1, which was long the secret object of my desire.
I spent five fantastic years in Charlottesville as a medical student, and my wife spent 8 between undergrad and med school. What a fantastic place. I only hope my kids can go there. Your kids must be smart, because getting in from out of state is like getting into an Ivy.

Last edited:

e9allan

Reaction score
Hi Steve,

That was me. My name is Allan. I have to give you credit for marrying such a good sport. Most of the women I know would have looked at me like I was crazy had I asked them to run up to the intersection to get someone's attention. Nice meeting you. I finally signed up.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
welcome aboard Allan,

i think you will find this forum extremely beneficial to keeping your coupe running well. you personally met one of the great guys that i have met in this forum ... but there are a lot more. read on and you will find answers to keep your coupe to stay healthy.

cheers
scott
atlanta

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hey Allan welcome to the group (gruppe?), glad you joined. Thanks for taking the time to stop and chat the other day. Hope we didn't weird out your girlfriend! There are many members here ready willing and able to help-I know because I rely on them to help me keep mine on the road and to straighten out the things I screw up. Enjoy your coupe. Cheers,

Steve