Rear Sway Bar - adjustable

Sven

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I have the green sway bar set from Ireland Engineering. The rear has three adjustment points. For this last year I had the links attached to the center position. I was noticing a little it of understeer - especially on the tighter highway curves. You know, the sensation that the car wants to keep going straight, even though you are turning the wheel.

So, I finally got around to trying the inner position of this link, thinking that I needed to stiffen the rear up a bit (reduce the moment arm of the bar). Wow, what a difference it made. I did not think I would notice it, but yes, it improved the handling appreciably. Now it tracks beautifully in the curves - just right. There are some local on/off ramps for curve testing.

Anyone else have these? or play with the three positions? Just curious what experiences others have had. My front end is about 50-60 lbs lighter than stock (battery under rear seat, alum. radiator and new AC compressor). No strut bar (yet). Running LaJolla springs and HD's. 16" wheels.

btw - there is no way to use the outer hole without bending the link support tabs on the sub frame. The angle is too great (at least on my coupe).

Attachments

• RearSway1.jpg
    RearSway1.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 240
  • RearSway2.jpg
    RearSway2.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 249

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
That level of suspension restoration is what I hope to accomplish with my car one day, Very nice. Will keep this in mind with the anti sway bars. How has the ride changed with the addition of these bars? Is it ever overwhelmed on bumpy roads? Sorry to threadjack, but also are you sold on the performance improvement with the Poly rear bushings (Not the end links)?

shanon

Reaction score
I have a similar set up, currently in the middle hole, been wanting to try the inner. I have heard/read that the coupes like the 'softer' rear settings.

Will keep ya posted.

-s

30csl

Site Donor
Reaction score
That rear suspension looks amazing! Love the various colours.

I want this sway bar set up now - damn you!

Sven

Site Donor $
Reaction score
How has the ride changed with the addition of these bars? Is it ever overwhelmed on bumpy roads?

Nicad - On good roads the ride is comfortable. There is a nice solid connection with the ground - which is good sensation to have the highways & twisty's. It is definitely stiffer than stock. On rough roads it can be a bit jarring - no Cadillac ride here. Overall, I am quite happy with the setup. Probably not a good option if you have a lot of rough cobblestone streets.

I can't say what portion of the ride change is due to the bars, since I made all the upgrades/changes at the same time. I suspect the lower springs and HD's affect the ride quality more.

Bwana

Reaction score
I have the same setup but with a matching sway bar in the front. Spectacular improvement in both the ride and handling. Corners flat now where before I had the "tuna boat" heeling over feeling. A little "bouncy" over freeway undulations but better than before.

The one thing I don't like is the way the car "slews" during high speed corrections, say, dodging a retread that suddenly appears in front of me from under the pickup ahead. Almost felt like I was going to swap ends once.

Also, the rear sway bar I got was bent incorrectly, it almost didn't fit. The bends were possibly 1/4-1/2" further out than where they should have been so the end of the bar was almost touching theaxle boot. La Jolla wouldn't exchange them as they had been mounted and they didn't think it mattered anyway. I'm not sure I can use the outermost hole (haven't tried).

Edit: So Sven, you moved the link to the innermost position and it stiffened up the ride? So going further our would probably give more body roll, correct?

Sven

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Edit: So Sven, you moved the link to the innermost position and it stiffened up the ride?

I did not notice any further stiffening of the ride; just better cornering.

So going further out would probably give more body roll, correct?

I think that is correct. You might do some online research. It seems like there is conflicting opinions out there about what does what, and which end of the car should be adjusted for what behavior mods. Surprise.

I don't like is the way the car "slews" during high speed corrections

Sounds almost like an oversteer condition. Although, if you yank any wheel over hard and fast enough its going to want to spin the car (especially with a light rear end).

TodB

Reaction score
handling

I have a similar setup, Billies, Carl Springs, front strut bar, fixed camber plates, 16" staggered wheels/tires (Dunlop Star Tacs). Big unadjustable bar in front, adjustable in back currently in middle hole.

Handling is VERY neutral and planted (for a coupe), so much so, I don't think I would try any other setting but your feedback is interesting.

Off topic, but I can't say enough good things about the Dunlop Star Tacs. Great performance tire.

Sven

Site Donor $
Reaction score
tires

Hankook Ventus V12 evo's. 205 55/16 all four corners (not running a staggered setup).

I suppose the real test would be to go back to the center position to see if I notice a difference back the other way....

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
I have a similar setup, Billies, Carl Springs, front strut bar, fixed camber plates, 16" staggered wheels/tires (Dunlop Star Tacs). Big unadjustable bar in front, adjustable in back currently in middle hole.

Handling is VERY neutral and planted (for a coupe), so much so, I don't think I would try any other setting but your feedback is interesting.

Off topic, but I can't say enough good things about the Dunlop Star Tacs. Great performance tire.

Do you mean Star Specs? STar Tacs were a cell phone as I recall !! <G>

I have star Specs on my Miata on 9.8 pound rims. . Incredible tire on that application. I have fun every time I get behind the wheel. . till the temp gets in the 40''s

TodB

Reaction score
tires

Yep, Star Specs (not tacs).

Great tire, very sticky and Yes, not much good when it gets cold. Not a bad occasional track tire if you do not want to spring for compounds.