Why buy an e9?

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
From time to time I think I might want to obtain another car, and I am a fan of BMWs. I'm presently driving a 2000 540i6, which I have customized to my liking and which I intend to keep. I am also caring for my son's 1992 525i5, but when he gets back to the US later this year I'll be returning it to him.

I love the look of the e9 coupes, but have never driven one. The car would be more of a hobby than a utilitarian tool. So, I'd appreciate hearing from the experts: why an e9 v. an e30 v. another e34 or maybe an e24.

gwittman

Reaction score
Maybe it is kind of like the price of a very expensive Ferrari. If you have to ask..................

In this case if you don't know why you should buy an E9, maybe you should not. I know when I first saw an E9, I knew I wanted to own one without question.

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
In the words of forum member de Quincey from Balboa Spain:

"I will give you the most accurate answer I can give, but you should consider this a matter of taste (highly subjective)

I own three cars, including a 1971 3.0 CS, the daily car is a AUDI A4 turbodiesel Avant, this is a superb machine, y live in a very hilly area in the north of spain with enough rain and bended roads and bended highways, that means that the AUDI is performing very well with all his electronics when you ask for power and speed and the road is wet, I usually drive at 120 to 160 Kmh up to 42.000 km per year, mostly in the mentioned highway, 8 litres per 100 km diesel consumption, and so on

...but that is not driving !, that is a mere use of a transport device that moves you from one point to the other in a highly efficient and functional way

then, when the sky is blue, and the weather forecast is good I woke up 20 minutes earlier, I check the levels, I quickly clean the car with a cloth, and start the engine to warm it up at iddle speed

I wore confortable clothes, and sunglasses, and I prepare myself for a nice driving experience

the sound of the big-six engine is giving you the soundtrack so no additional music is needed, that day the cruising speed is always less than 120 kmh, the car performs smoothly and solid, you have a corresponding feeling and actions according to a classic car, you have to anticipate driving and traffic situations, you have to take into account the reaction of other drivers (owners of new bmw´s will usually slow down to have a better choice of looking at your car), you feel confortable with yourself and with others, you forgive, you become generous,...

and when you happen to be alone in a small road with the adequate proportion of turns, slopes, forests, straight paths, and the river or the sea as neighbour, you feel that you are in the right place with the right car

in the better words or Mr. Conrad (LordJim-Chapter III) “the propeller turned without a check, as though its beat had been part of the scheme of a safe universe”

I can not describe it better

so, please, if you have the slightest oportunity,... just do it "

He gave me that response when I asked the same question a few years ago. Since I only have 150 E9 miles with me as a Pilot, I'll hope that those are my sentiments when mine is ready.

WALTER

Site Donor
Reaction score
In this case if you don't know why you should buy an E9, maybe you should not. I know when I first saw an E9, I knew I wanted to own one without question.

Totally agree. It was love at first sight. Had to have it. Despite the fact that it's not that fast, I'm afraid to get caught in the rain with it, and my limited funds should be spent elsewhere, it does not cease to put a smile on my face every time I drive it.

decoupe

(deceased)
Reaction score
Why??

I find myself sneaking into the garage and just sitting in it. Usually a big smile. Coupe therapy as my wife calls it (she has caught me a couple of times). Cheaper than psychoanalysis and none of the nasty side effects of prozac.

Driving it is even better.

Doug

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Well, I am smitten with her looks, but wonder what would it be like to live with her.

Bwana

Reaction score
Totally agree. It was love at first sight. Had to have it. Despite the fact that it's not that fast, I'm afraid to get caught in the rain with it, and my limited funds should be spent elsewhere, it does not cease to put a smile on my face every time I drive it.

+1 We saw one on a trip to the SF area and instantly had to have one. We're big BMW fans and this fit the bill perfectly. My son calls it my James Bond car. I get thumbs up where ever I drive it. I love driving it!!! I now have a wonderful A/C so I can drive it all year. Too cool!!! :) :) :)

vince

Site Donor
Reaction score
My e39 M5 is the most capable car I've ever owned. I still love it but it has become just a car. It's alot of fun but I don't get that excited about driving it like I used to.

Not so with my coupe. After almost nine years of ownership, I still can't wait to get in it and drive it. I instantly get better looking and cooler. On weekend afternoons, I take the back roads to our club to workout. Between the feeling I get from a good run and pushing the coupe through the curves on the way home, life is truly good. It's my escape pod.

Last edited:

Stefan

Reaction score
In the words of forum member de Quincey from Balboa Spain:

"I will give you the most accurate answer I can give, but you should consider this a matter of taste (highly subjective)

I own three cars, including a 1971 3.0 CS, the daily car is a AUDI A4 turbodiesel Avant, this is a superb machine, y live in a very hilly area in the north of spain with enough rain and bended roads and bended highways, that means that the AUDI is performing very well with all his electronics when you ask for power and speed and the road is wet, I usually drive at 120 to 160 Kmh up to 42.000 km per year, mostly in the mentioned highway, 8 litres per 100 km diesel consumption, and so on

...but that is not driving !, that is a mere use of a transport device that moves you from one point to the other in a highly efficient and functional way

then, when the sky is blue, and the weather forecast is good I woke up 20 minutes earlier, I check the levels, I quickly clean the car with a cloth, and start the engine to warm it up at iddle speed

I wore confortable clothes, and sunglasses, and I prepare myself for a nice driving experience

the sound of the big-six engine is giving you the soundtrack so no additional music is needed, that day the cruising speed is always less than 120 kmh, the car performs smoothly and solid, you have a corresponding feeling and actions according to a classic car, you have to anticipate driving and traffic situations, you have to take into account the reaction of other drivers (owners of new bmw´s will usually slow down to have a better choice of looking at your car), you feel confortable with yourself and with others, you forgive, you become generous,...

and when you happen to be alone in a small road with the adequate proportion of turns, slopes, forests, straight paths, and the river or the sea as neighbour, you feel that you are in the right place with the right car

in the better words or Mr. Conrad (LordJim-Chapter III) “the propeller turned without a check, as though its beat had been part of the scheme of a safe universe”

I can not describe it better

so, please, if you have the slightest oportunity,... just do it "

He gave me that response when I asked the same question a few years ago. Since I only have 150 E9 miles with me as a Pilot, I'll hope that those are my sentiments when mine is ready.

Best post I read for a long time describing feelings in words...
All respect to our friend "de Quincey"

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
And if I start down this path, how long does it take to learn about the specifics of the e9 and find one?

duane_sword

Reaction score
For me the E9, is *the* coupe, not just a two door European car. I distinctly remember seeing an E9 when I was 15 years old in Australia at a classic car event with my father, who is a Jaguar man so I remember him telling me why British cars are better than German; my Dad was proven wrong when I was 15 :)

So at 15 I had the poster of the Batmobile with all 4 wheels in the air at Nurburing (you know the one)... While my friends had Ferrari or Lamborghini.

When I was 30 years old I purchased my E9 , my coupe, my car , my outlet, my thrill. I have owned several fast cars, old and new. Frankly the coupe is for the enthusiast who "gets it". Respect for the E9 requires someone who appreciates the whole package and passion of classic car ownership. You can buy a classic Ferrari, or Porsche, or Aston Martin and every one of them will be inspiring but owning *and* driving an E9 BMW requires an element of independence, charisma and car-enthusiast eccentricity.

I will own many more classic and modern cars, but I will never part with my E9, my coupe.

If this scares you. Buy a Porsche.

Honolulu

Reaction score
Why a 3.0CS? I was a long-time member of the BMW CCA and owned about 14 or so 2002s, plus 2 E12s, a euro 635, E3 2500 and Bavaria. The CS was the ultimate step in that era, and the coolest most beautiful car excluding the pre-1960s machines (though I had a chance at a 502 once).

How long you take to find one depends on your available funds and how hard you look. They are available in every condition and price range. Sometimes the condition does not correspond to the price.

How long it takes to learn about them similarly corresponds to how "into" the car you are. For me, this goes as far as changing the auto trans for a four speed, then a five speed. Some owners are into their cars as far as their wallets will let them (quite a ways in some instances) and some only occupy the driver's seat, leaving the actual work to others. It's all up to you. This forum does not discriminate, and has a lot of knowledgeable persons to advise on every aspect of coupe ownership.

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
And if I start down this path, how long does it take to learn about the specifics of the e9 and find one?

You can spend a lot of time learning and still longer looking but you should go,with your gut.
I have been in love with the elegant grace of the E9 from the first time I saw one. When I bought mine, I did so in complete ignorance. I learned more over the course of ownership. Sort of like dating an enigmatic woman.

Living with one... Well, you learn to protect her. You don't drive in the rain if you can help it and in the northeast, she hibernates for the winter. There is alway a new part to buy, always an improvement to make. I sometimes replace a part in good condition with a part in great condition.

The driving experience is wonderful. No blind spot, comfy on the long haul. And of course there is the snob appeal of having a car you do not see coming and going...even in California!

John Buchtenkirch

Reaction score
I had a Bavaria back in the day which I loved driving & drifting….. the car made me look like a better driver than I really was. However I always preferred the looks of the coupe (except for the tail) and more important the coupe still had working vent windows (I like a lot of ventilation). The Bavaria was stolen & recovered and I had it stored and did pick up a few pieces to put it back together when I lost my storage, I decided to let it go because I really wanted a coupe anyway. For 30 plus years off & on I looked at coupes that were too rotted or too expensive for me. My health declined to the point where I figured I’d better make my move and collector car prices dropping with the economy helped give me the final push to purchase. I’m not the most enthusiastic owner right now because I really haven’t been able to get comfortable in the car but I have some Recaros I’m going to install soon to hopefully change that. It may end up being my favorite car some day . ~ John Buchtenkirch
!!!b1.jpg

!000!#.jpg

!000!###.JPG

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I agree with all the posts here, love at first sight for me, I was 21 and one drove past me as I was walking up St. Charles Ave, I ran out into the street after it to get a look at the badge on the back so I could remember what this thing of beauty was for later identification. Dark blue 3.0CS. Bought my malaga '73 soon after and drove it every day until I sold it to get married.

After a 23 year hiatus, I am now on my second CS, the passion for the model had not subsided over the years. I appreciate the beauty of many cars, but this particular one just "does it" for me. I never get tired of looking at it's form from all angles.

Driving it is special, maintaining it is a labor of love, can't say which I like more to do really. The car lives for both.

Search and read this forum - I spent several months reading every post from day 1, the wealth of knowledge and exchange of information from members here makes ownership a joy, much easier than back in the 80's when you had to wait for the newsletter to come out for the latest tip.

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
When I pulled up to a stop sign and a guy dining across the street stood up and applauded that was a magic moment. I can't imagine ANY other car getting a standing ovation.

I believe in love at first sight. That blinding moment that Steve describes right above. Nothing less.

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
others have said it, it is a global experience, for me first came beauty, captivating beauty, tangible beauty, lines, curves, angles, materials, the sense of owning a piece of automotive history, the access of a manufacturing era, the strong response of a well designed mechanics, solid and robust, and powerful too,...the joy of maintaining it in the best possible and original condition as a tribute to those who designed, manufactured, and put their soul in building this nice machine, and last but not least,...it IS a driving machine !!! art in motion

the only "pity" is that you can not watch the car as it is being driven when you are the driver ! because this car is not only a beauty when parked, but a dazzling beauty in movement !

,thanks bob and stefan for recovering my little post about the coupe feelings, that was some time ago, and i still feel the same

johanaxelson

Reaction score
I would go for love at first sight too, saw my first one when I was maybe 12? and it stuck with me.

There are many sports cars out there, old and new, but this is what I (we) fell for. I like it for many reasons:
- it is not too expensive
- it is driveable
- good performance and comfort
- still possible to find parts
- its classic beauty

And one less tangible reason, the car feels more personal than many other vintage sports cars. Don't know why but it strikes a different chord than say, a Porsche, from the same era. You notice that with us owners and as some mentioned above, the reactions from people see it. If you pull up in an equivalent Porsche pretty much no one would even notice. But people do notice the E9.

And that leads to a conundrum, why then is it still relatively cheap?

Ohmess - I do not know where you live but if you tell us I am sure there is an E9 owner nearby who would love to show you his car and give you tips on what to look for when buying one.

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
My son took Verona to work last week, a small startup in Palo Alto, and struck up more conversations with the car than if he had brought Elvis himself to the job.

It is a different car and it is getting more different every day.