Golde pop-up wind deflector

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
When Golde made sunroofs for the E9, 02, 912, 911, and some Volvo's, they offered as an option an aluminum, pop up wind deflector. Golde is no longer in operation as a company and the deflectors are as scarce as hen's teeth.

I have obtained one such example and hope to reverse engineer it. I sent the torsion spring out to a company that can copy it and I meet with a design engineer on Monday. The goal would be an exact replica except for the hinges where, if possible, the fabrication will be of billet aluminum or stainless steel.

Now IF I can pull this off, who would actually want to buy one?

Bear in mind, these won't be exactly cheap...

Last edited:

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Stan,

I think there is also a market for the springs and plastic clips. A worthwhile project for sure, when you are here Thursday I will show you the progress I have made.

Chris

ccr2002

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Count me in

Jabberjaw needs one and we talked about updating to a carrera '84 deflector but not sure how that will work out.
Chuck

bert35csi

Site Donor
Reaction score
Maybe interested. Not sure how the E9 deflector works though, does it pop up and flip down automatically or does one have to flip it up and down manually?

The deflector on my E24 pops up when the roof is opening and flips down the the roof is being closed. Spring loaded in operation...really simple and elegant in concept and operation.

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I saw a very nice example on Duane Sword's coupe. When the sunroof is opened, the wind deflector pops up on its own. There is a torsion spring that inserts into the hinge that holds the wind deflector in place.

The deflector pops up from front to back. so once up the wind holds it up.. When the sunroof is closed, the leading edge of the sunroof closes the deflector.

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii6/ClassicCoupe/DSC_0086.jpg
http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii6/ClassicCoupe/DSC_0087.jpg
http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii6/ClassicCoupe/DSC_0088.jpg

As you can see, the deflector is a very elegant design that follows the contour of the sunroof opening.

These sunroof parts will be sold in complete kits and also replacement parts for those of us fortunate enough to have a sunroof deflector but have a broken or missing part. The first new one will go on my coupe to test the quality.

Last edited:

kwyjibo

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi Stan,
If you recall that I thought those were from an early 911 when I saw you holding them at Saratoga. If they are indeed from a common parts bin, you might try the Porsche forums if you need to boost the number of people interested.
My coupe doesn't have a sunroof, can you send me the width of the deflector itself? I can at least see if its in the same ballpark as on the P-car. If so we could meet up if you want to see if they fit in the "other" German car. (and if so, I'd be interested because the f-n flap stays flat when I open the roof!)

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I don't think mine will be that pricey!
Also they will be new and I am looking into billet aluminum for the hinges instead of pot metal

duane_sword

Reaction score
Stan, I welcome royalties for the sales of your new pop-up deflectors based upon your high-resolution photos from my coupe ;-)

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hi Stan,
If you recall that I thought those were from an early 911 when I saw you holding them at Saratoga. If they are indeed from a common parts bin, you might try the Porsche forums if you need to boost the number of people interested.
My coupe doesn't have a sunroof, can you send me the width of the deflector itself? I can at least see if its in the same ballpark as on the P-car. If so we could meet up if you want to see if they fit in the "other" German car. (and if so, I'd be interested because the f-n flap stays flat when I open the roof!)

The measurement is 32 5/8 inches tip to tip. I visited ExecMalibu and each wind deflector he has came from a 911 or 912 and he has then installed on his E9 and p-car.

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Springs

I received a quote for custom manufactured springs and was amazed when they told me $39.00 per spring if I buy 50!
I will scout around and see if I can find another spring manufacturer.

execmalibu

Reaction score
Stan I told you it would be cost prohibited... I think

$78 for just the springs and you still have the other 10 parts that are much more difficult to fabricate. I think the springs could probably be bent by hand...

They may not be perfect but you don't see them and they would still work..

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
$78 for just the springs and you still have the other 10 parts that are much more difficult to fabricate. I think the springs could probably be bent by hand...

They may not be perfect but you don't see them and they would still work..

Where does one obtain straight spring wire?

execmalibu

Reaction score
Stan I told you it would be cost prohibitive...

I am sure you can locate spring wire... I know that spring manufacturing companies get straight stock spring wire that they form into the designed shape/length...

Last edited: