"New" re-veneered coupe wood set

bert35csi

Site Donor
Reaction score
Well, about a month ago, I took the plunge and ordered a re-veneered wood set (12 individual pieces) by fellow forum member Bela22. Bela had already sold two of his completed wood set to 2 fellow members here. I had contacted both members and they were overwhelmingly satisfied with their sets http://www.e9coupe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11257.

By chance, I contacted Bela whether he has another set to sell, he stated that not at the moment, but he could begin restoring another set. Being that he is from Hungary, I was kind of hesitant about making a trans-Atlantic transaction. Well, to make a long story short, making this purchase of the E9 wood set is probably one of the best decisions I've ever made for my coupe. I have not received the set yet, but should receive it in a few short weeks. Just received some pictures of the completed wood and the complete set of pieces is simply stunningly beautiful. Medium shade of French walnut with a semi-gloss finish. Just love the overall richness and lustre of the French walnut veneer. You can specify the oem low gloss matte finish, the beautiful semi-gloss finish or the brilliant high gloss finish. He can also do the wood in other types of wood veneers if you so desired.

Best thing is the set cost only $850 US dollars and the shipping is a reasonable $155. I've seen other wood sets that cost anywhere from $2000-$2500 and they look nowhere as nice. Another plus is that he does not require any of the core pieces back. All the main pieces are provided, plus a non-AC manual shift console tray piece, also, the 3 small wood "divider" strips on the vinyl covered horizontal dash shelving (not included) are provided. The black textured instrumentation bezels are also included, as well as a new oem like textured cloth for the speaker grill.

Bela is both a gentleman and a genuine craftsman. Although he is from(?) or resides in Budapest, Hungary, Bela possesses excellent English communication skills. Being able to detail everything that he will do in completing the wood set is a great plus and also gives one a "piece of mind" that nothing is "lost in the translation". If any forum member is interested in acquiring a beautiful wood set for their own, don't hesitate to call upon him.

Here is the magnificent workmanship and craftsmanship of the finished wood set pieces. Can't wait to get my hands on them. I'm stoke!!! Yes...this is a ringing endorsement for Bela22!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
7464776678_1538614526_o.jpg

This is the super high gloss set (main long piece not pictured) that was sold to another forum member.
7465154798_24d4449185_o.jpg

Last edited:

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
hi bert
it seems to be a very nice set, satin finish is beautiful
hope you will receive soon and enjoy when it finally arrives to your hands
i would like to ask a question, indulge me for my poor understanding, when you say it is a reveneered set, what does that mean ? how is that done ? taking an existing set and ... or using new wood and building the shapes again ?

probably bela feels like giving us some explanations

regards

bert35csi

Site Donor
Reaction score
hi bert
it seems to be a very nice set, satin finish is beautiful
hope you will receive soon and enjoy when it finally arrives to your hands
i would like to ask a question, indulge me for my poor understanding, when you say it is a reveneered set, what does that mean ? how is that done ? taking an existing set and ... or using new wood and building the shapes again ?

probably bela feels like giving us some explanations

regards

Hi deQuincey,

Not an absolute certainty, but I presume the original old face veneer is delaminated somehow, probably by a power sander and the new veneer is then glued to the factory substrate plywood. Venture to guess that that a veneering vacuuming bag device is used as a clamping mechanism (especially for the curved and rounded pieces) and also to get all the air bubbles out during the gluing process. Yes...all the core pieces used are original BMW parts and not newly remanufactured like fellow Board member (Paul Corcoran) is doing now.

Pictures will show how thin the finished veneer is, so gluing another new layer of veneer over the original layer is very unlikely.
7465275258_2c75e285f8_b.jpg

7465269208_9b647b513e_b.jpg

bela22

Reaction score
Reveneering means carefully sanding the existing-broken-soaked old veneer ,then the core itself is glued together to its original shape and strenght,then gluing new assorted french walnut on it.
After drying we apply 12(4x3) layers of high quality clearcoat,polishing the surface between each 3 layers.

Basically it's the same veneering method as on antique furnitures.

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Looks like an excellent Value. Beautiful Colour on that Wood.

bela22

Reaction score
update

I have 3 set of complete wood waiting for restoration.If any of you need one please contact me.

After these 3 gone I can offer you :ship your core here -I restore it for you service.Same for RHD cars.

Macka

Reaction score
Bela what do you charge if we ship our compete original wood to you?

Regards Damian

bela22

Reaction score
all sold

In the moment I have no more woodsets.

If you want to send yours here for restoration is still an option.

In a couple of weeks I might get some more cores, in the meantime I take orders.Also for custom sets.

thanks

bert35csi

Site Donor
Reaction score
Just took delivery of my restored wood set from Bela and I could not be more satisfied. Hands down, the best $1K I've ever spent for my coupe. The lustrous finish of the french walnut exceeded my expectations and then some, simply beautiful. The semi-gloss finish is the just perfect...not too glossy nor matte. Again, kudos to Bela's expert craftsmanship. Shipping was via international express delivered by the Post Office and in a super fast 7 days (5 working days). Also, the wood set was packaged with extreme care, each piece individuslly wrapped, utilizing plenty of paddings and peanuts to avoid any potential shipping mishaps. :smile: :p :mrgreen:

bwalvoord

Site Donor $
Reaction score
First class

I just received my wood trim set and have to say it is better than I even imagined. Absolutely first class and everything as promised. I second the notion of the wrapping. I went to pick it up from the post office and thought perhaps he had sent the trim already installed in a new coupe.

Thanks again.

RonP

Reaction score
I also got a set of wood from Bela for my restoration project. I was able to get my set shipped and get it back just in time. Bela understood the timelines and responded accordingly. The wood is just perfect, and I especially like the material he used behind the speaker!!! It is just period perfect!

BMW Pete

Site Donor
Reaction score
Wood sets

I have just received a wood set from Bela and his craftsmanship is exceptional, truly exceptional.

He deals very straight and does everything he says he will.

Thank you Bela for such a wonderful quality job

Pete

bmwe9

Reaction score
wood set

I just received my wood set from bela , it was sent in a perfect condition and it was packed carefully.
I was very happy with the result, it was more than what I've expected, Bela had dealt with me like a professional and I was really pleased to do business with him.
I highly recommend dealing with him, this guy is a pro, thanks to him my car's dashboard looks brilliant :)