my new 1971 2800 cs

mario1017

Reaction score
picked it up in northern wisconsin from the original owner.
he bought it new in santa clara california in 1971.
I have all the tools, original owners manuals, driver logs, etc.
Also gave me every roundel from the last few decades, all cs newsletters, wisconsin bmw club newsletters. he also had a BMW motorsports fender cover. it says group IV on it? will post pictures when i get a chance. super cool guy. 85 years old, he worked as a nuclear engineer for GE for many years.
the car is all original paint and interior. incredible shape. needs some detailing. runs and drives well but will need basic tune up items and odds and ends. I am looking forward to using the resources on this board to make this car perfect as possible.

Attachments

• cs.jpg
    cs.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 274

decoupe

(deceased)
Reaction score
New '71 2800CS

Congratulations on what looks and sounds like a great find. Curious as to the mileage on it. A one owner car with an 85 year old could do .... well 41 years at an average of 10,000 miles would be... wow. Was his name Murray?

Great car.

mario1017

Reaction score
the mileage reads 91,000 miles. he even gave me all the original parts he pulled off through the years.
he retired in wisconsin about 20 years ago and drove it in the summer only.
he was so proud of this car, but he got sick and realized that he would rather sell it now to a good home then wait.
i became friends with him over the 8 months it took to buy it. he was in the hospital for quite a while and un able to sell it. he gave me so much old car guy stuff, im forever grateful.
pics will come later when i can get to the detailing of it.
it has some tiny scratches and a few imperfections but it's all original paint. the front spoiler under the bumper has a little surface rust but nothing that wont polish off.

what are the two switches under the steering column?

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
the mileage reads 91,000 miles. he even gave me all the original parts he pulled off through the years.
he retired in wisconsin about 20 years ago and drove it in the summer only.
he was so proud of this car, but he got sick and realized that he would rather sell it now to a good home then wait.
i became friends with him over the 8 months it took to buy it. he was in the hospital for quite a while and un able to sell it. he gave me so much old car guy stuff, im forever grateful.
pics will come later when i can get to the detailing of it.
it has some tiny scratches and a few imperfections but it's all original paint. the front spoiler under the bumper has a little surface rust but nothing that wont polish off.

what are the two switches under the steering column?

If they look like this http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii6/ClassicCoupe/coupebuttons.jpg
they are breakers for your power windows

ohio2800cs

Site Donor
Reaction score
Stan,

What's that knob on the right side for?

My '71 has the hazard and rear window defroster buttons and just an empty hole on the left side
for the fog lamp button.

I wonder too if a piece of my panel might have broken off as the it doesn't really rest tight against
the dash. Is there a piece on the panel that tucks inside of the bottom of the steering column?
Looks like something broke off on mine.

IMG_9498.jpg

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Later coupes have hazard switch on the dash next to console near ignition key. I think Stan has a fader for F/R speakers.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Very nice find! Your toolkit can be repaired with some fiberglass and resprayed with SEM Storm Grey. I take my heavy tools out for driving and leave them rolled up in a towel in the caddy. For shows etc they go back in the tray otherwise the weight and pounding of bumps will break the old plastic again. I'd also cavity wax the heck out of it.