74 3.0cs for sale in Houston- new pics

lapanna

Reaction score
[FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, Serif]More info.
When I purchased the car it had 73,495 miles on it. Purchased in Illinois in '94
It now has I believe 113,188. or so but need to check odometer.
It is in storage but I drove it yesterday. Pics of Flickr

new carbs were put in Jan. 2011 in Houston

2008- 2010 in New Mexico:
restored fog lamp function, install switch/wiring
repaired turn signal function/wiring
mounted 3rd brake lamp
replaced wiper motor, relay, wiring
replaced rocker pana; trims and sill plates
replaced door and trunk seals
replaced radiator and coolant tank
installed manifolds, air filters, fuel pump, fuel lines, choke
replaced bad brake and suspension items: rotorsw pads, brake calipers, shock absorbers,suspension arms
replaced 6 cly. transmission mount, driveshaft flex disc
battery
replaced loose shift linkage
replace failed exhaust brackets

pics at
http://www.flickr.com/photos/76630349@N04/

When I first purchased the car in 1994 I had the following done:

gas gauge repair
fog light repair
R&I front pads
r&I rear discs pads
cleaned and reset carbs
R&I cyl head gasket
R&I shifter assembly
high beams repair
disconnected alarm because it was draining battery

head gasket replaced in 96

Most of rust is superficial and not structural according to mechanic.
76630349@N04

[/FONT]

Attachments

• IMG_2157.jpg
    IMG_2157.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 240
  • IMG_2156.jpg
    IMG_2156.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 265
  • IMG_2155.jpg
    IMG_2155.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 263
  • IMG_2153.jpg
    IMG_2153.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 227
  • IMG_2154.jpg
    IMG_2154.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 233

Beemer70

Reaction score
Love the picture of the sky and clouds with the fly in shot! - or is that a UFO? Or a rusty E9 in outer space!!! hurrah!!

lapanna

Reaction score
if interested in car...

please email me
[email protected]

The rust is in the "usual" spots for this model and considering I have had it almost 20 years without any body work, it is in relatively good condition.
I could invest more to redo the paint and remove rust, but I prefer to let it go.
There is some rust under spare tire, for sure.

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Our 75 CSi Barn Find was in better shape rust wise and there was NO question we were dealing with a parts car. Period

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Susanne,

Yes, rust appears to be in the usual locations but it should have been addressed twenty years ago. The front fenders look like they're ready to fall off, the cost to fix is significant. If you're asking more than $3-4K you will own it for perhaps twenty more years. The members here speak from experience, good luck with the sale.

lapanna

Reaction score
to Chris

I appreciate the feedback however without seeing the car I am not sure how you can say that. A buyer actually looked at it and said it was not bad except the spare tire wheel well.

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I applaud your willingness to share the pic of the front fender -however-
the amount of rust there indicates that you have a 2-3k parts car.
I can't imagine how the spare tire well could be worse.
Don't get your hopes up on selling this car for more than a few thousand dollars.
Best wishes to you!

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Phtos #2156, #2126 and #2127: The pictures show the fenders are completely rusted thru (you can see the grass right through them). The rust appears to continue up under the "pads" around the shock towers. Yes,it is possible that the rust magically stops and the metal under those pads is 100% sound. If that's the case, then your mechanic isn't far off to say the visible rust does not post a structural risk. However, if you were familiar with the construction of the fenders in these cars, you would understand that there is a high likelyhood the visible rust continues up under the shock tower pads and up into the A-pillers (both of which are very important structural members of the body)very very badly rusted out. We can also see that the underside of the hood is rusty, and the cowl area is rusty.

#2151, we see rust trails that have dripped down the firewall (above the glove box). That's a clear indication that your A-pillar area is rusted through to the inside of the car. This is a very important structural portion of the chassis.

#2137: here the rear lower fender area is covered in rust bubbles. The paint is still largely intact, indicating the rust is coming from the inside out. That means you are seeing the tip of an iceberg.

Picture #2138: here the quarter is rusted completely through, allowing us to see into the internal rocker cavity.
#2133: this is the other quarter. Not nearly as rusty, but it is rusty

#2131: the trunk opening lip is rusty. We can't see the trunk seam or the rear window surround clearly enough to know for sure what shape they're in. But, usually when there's smoke ... there's more smoke...

To be fair, folks, the rust that's visible and the implied rust else where can all be fixed. I'll bet a honest and competent shop could fix all of it and repaint the car for under $35,000. So, buyers simply need to put a value on this car in it's restored state, subtract the costs of restoring it, and that'll yield the value of the car. If it's negative, don't buy it. If it's a positive number, offer that to the seller.