Coupeking Alpina airdam

waynesie

Reaction score
I want to put an Alpina style air dam on my coupe. Has anyone here purchased one from Coupeking? And how do they fit?

Wayne

aalto

Reaction score
Good question- i was thinking of putting one on my car as well. I notice that in the most recent update of the Coupeking website all reference to the Alpina style airdam has disappeared. Perhaps they have cancelled plans to produce it?

coupeking

Reaction score
Alpina Airdam

Still have them, though lost in the redo of the web page. They fit fine, and have currently sold out, but do have a new order coming in soon.
Don't know of anybody else making these.
Peter
[email protected]

Honolulu

Reaction score
Mario at VSR advises on his web page that he will stock them soon.

How does it happen that these can be copied without violating intellectual property rights? (or are they not "intellectual" property at all?)

Last edited:

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
copyright is an interesting thing - 1st, did they copyright the design? 2nd, is the copy exact - shape, size, attachment, compound? has the new product improved on the original and made some changes - visible or physical?

bert35csi

Site Donor
Reaction score
Mario at VSL advises on his web page that he will stock them soon.

How does it happen that these can be copied without violating intellectual property rights? (or are they not "intellectual" property at all?)

This is for the stock CSL airdam right? Mario gave up doing the Alpina version a while back for various reasons.

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Mario's air dam...

I don't speak for Mario; but his page at the following link says "This airdam is an exact replica of the factory original CS Coupe Airdam."

http://www.vsr1.com/index.php?mact=News,cntnt01,detail,0&cntnt01articleid=20&cntnt01returnid=19

I also don't speak for the man, but I did see his repro air dam and the original csl donor. The fact that Mario does show quality restorations on e9's, 2002's, and based on what I've seen at his shop, his dam should be pretty damn good.

bert35csi

Site Donor
Reaction score
They are 2 different airdam designs. Although, they both look good, but I'm a bit partial to the Alpina version here. :cool:

waynesie

Reaction score
this is the air dam I was looking for. see attached
I am not looking for the CSL or like air dam, they are available in several places.

I talked to Coupe King today and got one on order, they still have them and can make more. There new website is missing a few things from the old one. This was one of them.

Attachments

• B2Alpina.jpg
    B2Alpina.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 295

waynesie

Reaction score
So I bought an Alpina air dam from Couple King. Got it back in January when the price was higher, but it is a nice piece. Pre primed and nearly ready for paint. I had to figure out how to attach it (black stainless screws) and drill holes in the air dam and paint to match. 12 screws, ~ 6" apart.

When I was first fitting it, I thought something was wrong. The gap between the nose and the center section seams too large and it was not going to fit right. Could be my car is bent... but I could not figure how. The screws pulled it in, but it is still higher in the middle than I had expected. After looking at lots of pictures of other cars with this air dam on them they too have this rise in the center.... mine might be a bit more.

Anyway, I painted it with spray can spray paint and clear coat to match the body color. Got the paint from an on line touch up paint supply, matched really well. With it being such a dark color it is hard to notice any problem with the mounting.

I added a strip of foam weather stripping between the air dam and the body (closed cell foam) to keep out water and dirt.

I like how it turned out. It's subtle, but still aggressive looking and I think it finished out the front of the car nicely.

There isn't much information about fitting this style air dam, and I have gotten so much information from this forum about other things I hope this helps someone with their project.

Attachments

• air dam fitting 006.jpg
    air dam fitting 006.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 250
  • air dam fitting 005.jpg
    air dam fitting 005.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 258
  • air dam fitting 002.jpg
    air dam fitting 002.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 280
  • photo3.jpg
    photo3.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 243
  • air dam 010.jpg
    air dam 010.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 241

bert35csi

Site Donor
Reaction score
Very nice Wayne, looks spectacular! Of all the front air dams for the E9 coupe, the street Alpina unit complements the CS aggressive front end and nose perfectly. I bought an Alpina copy dam from Hardy&Beck up in the SF Bay Area and it has the integral brake ducting built in, unlike the Coupeking unit, (which I would have bought had it had this feature) and yet to be installed. Are you getting any or if af all air dam scrapping from driveways and deep road dips?

H&B manufactured spoiler with the integral ducts.
6703764513_95befd45a1_b.jpg

waynesie

Reaction score
So far driving around I have only had one scrap, big drain dip with a sharp uphill on the other side in my neighborhood. It was when I did a test run with it before painting. Now I just slow down for that dip instead for taking it full bore.

Also, I have stock shocks and Carl Nelson lowering spring. I will probably up grade to HD Bilsteins as the ride is a little too soft, but it adds to the potential for dipping the nose and scraping the air dam.

I have noticed that the car feels more stable at highway speeds... so I guess actual works and it is not just for show.

As far as the air duct holes... I thought of trying to find fog lights to fit, but they are not that noticeable other wise.