New Member - Bay Area

gmt

Reaction score
Hello,

After saving for years I feel this is the right time to buy an E9 coupe. (very unfortunate that I missed the blue and the polaris ones for sale near me). I remember the first time I saw one and has been my dream car ever since. Now that I relocated to the Bay Area, I think e9 would go well with the twisty roads.

I currently own a challenger and a 93 e30 325i convertible, and I want to get rid of the challenger to daily drive the e30 and keep the e9 for the weekends. Does anyone daily drive an e9 here? Would it make sense(other than the obvious old car issues)?

I've read through the FAQ site but I was unable to find the upgrade FAQ's mentioned, could someone please provide me a link for it?

Also would any members in the Bay Area be kind enough to let me take a look at their cars and have a quick chat?

I have my eyes on this car;

http://www.autotraderclassics.com/classic-car/1970-BMW-2800-1698551.xhtml?conversationId=2505

Is this car member owned or does anyone know anything about this particular one?

Any answers would be greatly appreciated.

GMT

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I think you should see if sfDon is available, you'll learn more than you want to know. The car you mentioned looks nice but I think the dealer has a reputation so you will need a real expert before buying anything. Welcome to the group and good luck- there are lots of members up your way!

gmt

Reaction score
I think you should see if sfDon is available, you'll learn more than you want to know. The car you mentioned looks nice but I think the dealer has a reputation so you will need a real expert before buying anything. Welcome to the group and good luck- there are lots of members up your way!

Thanks Peter!

I have read all that I can but you can only learn so much from just research. I will send sfDon a message.

tmason

Reaction score
+1 for sfDon. He would be my 1st stop for buying a cs.
Good Luck in your search and welcome aboard.
Tim

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Come on by!
I have 10 coupes in the shop to look at for colors and versions.
Mr. Wyman's arrived today in fresh Granat Rot. I will let him post pics though!
Iversons Turkis is nearby and I have fjord, Malaga, nacht Blau, Polaris to look at
And chamonix!

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
There is no name and no sign. No website.
Lots of cameras and a ADT security system.
Let me know if you would like an invitation.

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
FYI on the car in Oregon at the dealer. That looks like a monster of rust eating away at the strut top sheet metal. I wouldn't go over 20 mph with that ball of hamburger and butter popping out. You need a real PPI on this.

MyFemurHurts

Reaction score
Welcome GMT!

I'm in Belmont, and there a good number of Coupe owners around the area. I'm tied up the next few weekends, but if you want to check out my Coupe and go drive around for awhile shoot me a message and we can link up.

Highly recommend meeting Don too. I learned more talking to him on the phone a few times and meeting him once than I did searching this forum for months.

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Come on by!
I have 10 coupes in the shop to look at for colors and versions.
Mr. Wyman's arrived today in fresh Granat Rot. I will let him post pics though!
Iversons Turkis is nearby and I have fjord, Malaga, nacht Blau, Polaris to look at
And chamonix!

I would love to see that TURKIS if it is completed.
Any pics?

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Welcome to the board. Will be glad to provide the owner's perspective beyond Don's mechanic's perspective. My Verona comes alive on beautiful weekends like this and the next 40 weekends here in Cupertino.

rb1971

Reaction score
Welcome! There are usually a couple of coupes and Bavs at the bay area BMW meetings or the local cars & coffee. Mine just came out of the shop with a working franken-airconditioner (Don: I owe you a call, money, and probably a beer - been traveling but will get on all of these) so I will be at the next one.

-John

gmt

Reaction score
Thank you very much for the warm welcome everyone!

I am looking forward to meeting everyone in the Bay Area. From the link to the thread on the Polaris, does anyone know if it actually went through a respray? If the issues have been fixed and there is not rust, the car "looks" very original.

Above all, it seems I am going to pay Don a visit before even thinking about a particular e9.

GolfBavaria

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Your shop

There is no name and no sign. No website.
Lots of cameras and a ADT security system.
Let me know if you would like an invitation.

Don.....funny sounds just like my buddies shop where my car is being worked on. I used to live in SF at Larkin and Clay, then Larkin and Washington...anyhow....I would love to take you up on seeing your shop some day. Folks live in Santa Rosa and I still visit "The City" quite often. I still have a lot of friends up there. Maybe next time I roll through I will give you a heads up..Thanks!

Last edited:

12doplumbing

Reaction score
Anything yet?

Interested in what you've found, Gmt. Even what you've looked at or learned from Sfdon
I'm in Windsor -- new coupe owner as of 3/10/15, head scratcher, shade tree screw-up, etc. I have a lift in my shop at my home; you're welcome to help me roll my 16 year old's 240z off and pull whatever you find onto it.

gmt

Reaction score
Thanks a lot!

Per Don's recommendation, I am just waiting with cash in my hand for the right car.

Interested in what you've found, Gmt. Even what you've looked at or learned from Sfdon
I'm in Windsor -- new coupe owner as of 3/10/15, head scratcher, shade tree screw-up, etc. I have a lift in my shop at my home; you're welcome to help me roll my 16 year old's 240z off and pull whatever you find onto it.