Need Painting Tips ASAP

verde2002

Site Donor
Reaction score
My lease is due this Friday and the rear bumper had a couple of chipped paint spots that I just painted with spray can and clear coated. As you can imagine it looks like night and day with the smooth original finish and the rough paint can job. Anything I can use to smooth it out to look decent. Pep Boys is right next to me so anything readily available with steps to make it look good would really be appreciated. Should I wet sand it first? hat grit sandpaper? cratch remover maybe will have enough abrasive to smooth it out? 48hrs and counting down!!!!!!!!!!!

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Single stage paint or heavy clear coat can be color sanded

My lease is due this Friday and the rear bumper had a couple of chipped paint spots that I just painted with spray can and clear coated. As you can imagine it looks like night and day with the smooth original finish and the rough paint can job. Anything I can use to smooth it out to look decent. Pep Boys is right next to me so anything readily available with steps to make it look good would really be appreciated. Should I wet sand it first? hat grit sandpaper? cratch remover maybe will have enough abrasive to smooth it out? 48hrs and counting down!!!!!!!!!!!

Wet sand the rough surface back to flat using a progress of grits (400, 600, 1000, 1500, 2000), and then polish (machine or hand) with a heavy cut polish followed by a final polish.

verde2002

Site Donor
Reaction score
Wet sand the rough surface back to flat using a progress of grits (400, 600, 1000, 1500, 2000), and then polish (machine or hand) with a heavy cut polish followed by a final polish.

Thank you for the suggestion. I did the poor mans version with what I had in the garage, I started with 1500 then 2000 and used turtle wax. Not great but much better and with the standard dirty car trick I am hoping it will pass inspection. Keeping my fingers crossed.

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
car wax

Thank you for the suggestion. I did the poor mans version with what I had in the garage, I started with 1500 then 2000 and used turtle wax. Not great but much better and with the standard dirty car trick I am hoping it will pass inspection. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Well, car wax isn't aggressive enough to remove the 2000grit scratches. You could try a cutting compound then wax (by hand).

Best is with a couple of foam bonnets and some cutting compound. Maybe your local Home Depot rents low speed polishers (electric) so your only cost will be the materials and a couple foam pads.