Pair of E3 Project cars FS in San Diego

viphoto

Reaction score
SOLD!!

Que the Sara McLachan animal shelter song…these two cars need a good home.. or on second thought maybe the theme song from the Good the Bad and the Ugly.. (Some good, More bad and definitely some ugly)

So I find myself needing to get rid of 2 E3 project cars ASAP. Putting them up here before C.L. I bought the pair of E3's just before my coupe got here with the intent of hoarding some spare parts that cross over to the coupe, and also to take the subframe from the parted out car to fix the much nicer (relatively speaking) car, as the original owner had planned on doing. Well time got away from me and one of the other tenants in my office park ratted me out and complained...so the landlord has told me they have to go..No room at home ...so they gotta go ASAP. Would like to get $1600 for the pair (or $1300 for the nicer one and the stripped one goes to the crusher) but they have to be removed right away. Located in Carlsbad (near San Diego)

The Quick details:
Car 1 (the fixer) 1973 Bavaria vin #3104863 4-speed 3.3L, AC, Headers, Webers, Bilsteins, big Sway bars, Blue interior, the Factory Alloy wheels NOT RUNNING , Hard curb hit left front needs subframe and maybe more suspension No tools or tool tray

Car 2 (Rust bucket) Bavaria vin #3133529 Pretty much stripped rolling shell except for the Glass, Trans (converted to 4Speed from Automatic) and bottom end of the block. No steering or diff. ( The trans and subframe are the valuable parts left on this car and the bilsteins)

The longer Story:
Previously owned by the Late Rich Gehring who served as the San Diego BMWCC autocross equipment master, he also worked for the Brecht BMW Motorsports team. This nicer car was a Euro Delivery that he picked up and babied for most of its life. Repainted anthracite at some point and front markers were deleted. It won several BMWCCA "clean car" awards earlier in its life. He also autocrossed it with some success (pictures somewhere on the net) . At some point he hit a curb with it and parked it with intention of using the front end parts from the rusty car to fix it, Unfortunately he passed away before this happened and the cars sat outside until his widow decided to sell them (they had them on non-ops but let them lapse so fees are owed to register them). Also unfortunately details of the modifications he made died with him. What I do know is he put in a 3.3L out of a 633 if I decoded the engine number right. The car has headers, bilsteins, larger swaybar and webers. The guy that acted as the go between on the sale when I bought them is a Tech at Brecht BMW and was pretty sure Rich had put in Paulter rods, but he wasn't sure what else he did and I can't verify this or any other mods he may have made cars are being sold as is. Looking at the top of head with the oil cap removed it looks brand new. I pretty much parked the car right off the tow truck and have really done nothing and now have run out of time. The car rolls but no brakes, some varmint ate some wires in the engine compartment so that would need sorting out (I did hook up a battery and the lights worked and horn but I did not turn the car over). The interior looks great except for a single tear in the center of the seat portion of the drivers seat although the horse hair is dried out. The ac side grilles were removed but I have a set with the usual cracks and broken corners. There is no radio. I know the engine is a gamble but given Rich's background with Brecht motorsports and his vintage racing history this motor could be pretty special...(still kicking myself for not dealing with this sooner and getting myself into this "must sell" situation, but since my coupe already has a 3.5 in it the urgency wasn't there.)

PS Mike G. I do still have the trunk spring I promised you from the parts car.

I do have the seats and door panels from the parts car to be sold separately (in marine blue) Seats are tentatively spoken for from a forum member , trying to contact him now to confirm.

PM me if interested

Attachments

• Rt side.jpg
    Rt side.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 138
  • Left f 1.jpg
    Left f 1.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 123
  • eng1.jpg
    eng1.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 123
  • int.jpg
    int.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 127
Last edited:

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
If you still have the B pillar covers over the retracting seatbelts on the parts car I would love to buy them.

GolfBavaria

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
If you still have the B pillar covers over the retracting seatbelts on the parts car I would love to buy them.

And if you pull those B pillar covers and Chris doesn't want the rubber seals behind them, I will take those. It doesn't sound like you want to part these out but if your pulling the covers off I thought I would ask.

viphoto

Reaction score
And if you pull those B pillar covers and Chris doesn't want the rubber seals behind them, I will take those. It doesn't sound like you want to part these out but if your pulling the covers off I thought I would ask.
The Rusty car is the one I stripped and have the interior for (the other car I am not parting out) That being said I don't remember any rubber seals behind the B pillar covers. The door seals were toast though.

GolfBavaria

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
They are different than the door seals. Those have the seal and wind deflector or noise reducing material attached to it. I know there is a better technical term but the B-pillars have a rubber seal that go straight up and down the pillar and are not as thick as the door seals because they are different material, rubber vs. the the fabric covered door seals which deteriorate easier. I somehow lost the B-pillar rubber pieces pulling out my seals and forgot they were separate pieces as well. There are four of them total, two each side. One runs down the front door B-pillar and the other the front of the back door on the B-pillar.