Seems wrong to me

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Been trying to make new A pillars for my rusty 1966 Corvair. They are made out of heavy 16 gauge sheet metal. Having a hard time making a crisp bend by pounding the metal over the flat edge of my table saw. Did a Google search in Arizona and found these.

http://www.dvap.com/salvage/1966-chevrolet-corvair-66ch1747c/

The car is the same faded Blue as mine, so with very careful welding , and keeping the heat insulated I hopefully might not even have to paint much. They will chop up this beautiful body, rendering it useless for $125 per corner. Nicer car than mine from the looks of it.
A bit like an old man getting a younger man's body parts.

restart

Reaction score
There is a partially disassembled 62 Monza around the corner from me. It has been sitting outside for 3 years. Seems complete.
I need another project like a hole in the head, but....what do you think a project Corvair is worth?
Seller wants 2000 but would probably take less.

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
I would suggest you never buy a Corvair that needs much in the way of repairs. The reason is that there are very devoted Corvair restorers throughout North America that seem the sell their efforts for negligible sums. (they are getting old) The $2000 project that needs a lot of items can be replaced by the $5,500 Corvair that has been painted , re upholstered, and is mechanically sound. Never, ever buy a rusty Corvair, as a rust free one is about $2000 more. I am just playing with mine because I have owned it for so long (1983) and surprisingly the only rusty area of note is in the windshield (severely rusted) and door jamb. The rest is very solid. Corvairs are pretty robust . If an E9 had been through what mine has (Just sitting outdoors in Ontario) there would be very little left. My gut feeling is that the Corvair is about to take an upward hit in value. Hard to imagine an air cooled , aluminum flat six that is durable, space efficient and nice handling will not be valued for what it is one day.

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Just found out that nice Corvair in the photo has already had it's A Pillars cut out. Damn.