throttle linkage

astangl

Reaction score
About 2 miles from home, my 71 2800cs gas pedal fell flat to the floor and was not coming back up. Engine still running at idle and no other apparent problems. Pulled into a convenient parking space and saw the throttle linkage dangling down but still attached at the firewall end. Fished it out with a coat hanger from a nearby retail store and pressed back in place onto the nub/ball on the sprung L-shape bracket completing the linkage to the carbs.
No further problems, but it does pop off very easily.
Is there more to the linkage attachment? If so, seems there is excessive wear on the ball and/or socket. Easy to replace?

Thanks

Honolulu

Reaction score
Don't some of these ball ends have a retainer clip on them, or am I hallucinating again? At any rate, despite a worn out circular retaining spring inside the ball, one could likely fashion a useful retainer from some stiff wire...

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
if you have stock zeniths the throttle linkage can be seen speaking from the firewall as a horizontal bar that meets a vertical bar in the L shaped part

if i understood well the L shaped part has come out from the pivot, well yes, there must be a clip on top of the pivot to avoid this

there are at least a couple of pieces involved too, some 2 nylon bushings, and a spring

if you post a pic of your setup we will be able to assist

regards

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I was doing some work on my wife's Volvo the other day and they have a pretty cool set-up for those pivot-ball-links. While they retain the inner ring on the inside of the socket they add an additional "spring" that slides into a small hole in the cup and then wraps around the shaft, kind of snaps in. Just thinking that that would be a good upgrade for the many old-school links throughout the car.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Pierce Manifolds sells those linkages, best to call them as many sizes are not listed on their web page.

I was doing some work on my wife's Volvo the other day and they have a pretty cool set-up for those pivot-ball-links. While they retain the inner ring on the inside of the socket they add an additional "spring" that slides into a small hole in the cup and then wraps around the shaft, kind of snaps in. Just thinking that that would be a good upgrade for the many old-school links throughout the car.