'73 CS - In Honor of DDD

DDD

Reaction score
I am the new owner and caretaker of a European production '73 CS. I bought it from the estate of my very best friend, David (his initials are DDD), who died recently at too young an age. I was with him when he bought the car in 1986 in Chicago. His wife needed to sell it and it was an honor for me to buy it to make sure it "stays in the family" so his kids can enjoy it in the future.

The car was originally sold in Italy in January, 1974 and later imported to the US. David completed a partial restoration on the car in 2004 fixing all rust, exterior restoration and a factory remanufactured engine. I have begun working on the interior. It's still David's car - it always will be. I will simply care for it in his honor. When the new license plates arrive, they will stamped with "30 DDD"

Thank you,
Tom

Attachments

• DSC02263 copy.jpg
    DSC02263 copy.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 296
  • DSC02266 copy.jpg
    DSC02266 copy.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 285
  • DSC02292 copy.jpg
    DSC02292 copy.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 285

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Welcome. Sorry to hear the back story but glad you are taking the baton. Beautiful car, and those Italian plates are gorgeous.

craterface

Site Donor
Reaction score
Welcome. Sorry to hear the back story but glad you are taking the baton. Beautiful car, and those Italian plates are gorgeous.

Plus one on the Italian plates. I have one of those on the front bumper of my Alfa and they look so right. Looks like a very nice car.

tmason

Reaction score
Welcome and sorry for your loss.You have a Beautiful car and was David a member here?

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Lovely story. Yes, it will always be David's car as my first coupe, a 2800, will always be Mrs. Gibson's.
My coupe is also Italian delivery, 1972, CS. Mine has the euro fog light, your does not.
Any idea why?
Steve

CookeD

Reaction score
Interesting...

Interesting on the VIN... I have 2240859 that was also a US-spec E9, originally delivered to a buyer in Verona, italy. Wonder if they grouped orders for sending to specific global locations?

Oh yeah, car is beautiful!

DDD

Reaction score
From BMW Archive: "The BMW 3.0 CS US VIN 2240848 was manufactured on June 12th, 1973 and delivered on August 14th, 1973 to BMW Italia S.p.A. in Palazzolo/Verona. The original colour was Malaga, paint code 021."

CookeD

Reaction score
"The BMW 3.0 CS US VIN 2240859 was manufactured on June 7th, 1973 and delivered on August 14th, 1973 to the importer BMW Italia S.p.A. in Palazzolo/Verona. The original colour was Fjord metallic, paint code 037"

Something must have went wrong on the line that week...