Tell me I don't want an E3 (even though I do)

corvair kid

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new here. I don't have an E3 yet, and if you guys do your job maybe I never will and you'll never hear from me again. This is gonna be long, so if you scroll to the end, there's a one-sentence summary.

As my user name implies, I do have a Corvair (a '65 Monza) - more on that later. My daily driver at the moment is an '04 Volvo V70R. Most of the time it's a bada** stealth wagon with 300 HP and a six-speed and the world's comfiest seats. BUT. I just got it out of the shop, where I went in thinking I was just getting a routine service, to the tune of $3,000. I've owned this car for eight months and have never had "just a routine service" - every time I've taken it in, they've found something else wrong, and it's bleeding me dry.

Then there's my Corvair. I've had it for ten years, put lots of miles on it, and it's an absolute sweetheart. It's nothing fancy, the two-carb 110 HP setup with a Powerglide automatic, and for a (near) fifty-year-old car, it's been dead reliable. I don't think I've ever had a problem that cost more than $200 to fix, and since there are no computers or electronics, I can even do some of the maintenance myself (I'm not a mechanic, in case you haven't figured it out) and I can always tell when something's wrong and do something about it.

Informed by my experience with my Corvair, and in the throes of rage over the repair bills for my Volvo, I came up with a hare-brained scheme: sell the Volvo, buy another old (I live in California, so pre-'75) car, and alternate daily driving duties between it and the Corvair. If something is wrong with one, I've got the other, they're both relatively simple to maintain, cheap to insure, etc.

Obviously, since I'm here, you can guess that an E3 would be my top choice for this gig. Compared to the Corvair - a low bar, to be sure - it's a relatively modern, safe (hello, disc brakes!), and comfortable car, but mainly, I've just always wanted one. I've done my research so I think I know trouble areas to look for - typical rust areas, carbs, cooling, heads, etc. - and I'd be sure to have any candidates vetted by a knowledgeable third party before buying.

So, I need you knowledgeable expert-types to tell me that this is a horrible idea, that an E3 is a lousy daily driver, that it will be way more expensive than slowly rebuilding my Volvo piece by piece over the next several years, and that I'm an idiot. (BTW: my commute is 30 miles each way, four days a week in mild California weather, so when I say "daily driver" I mean two or three days a week. Also, in two years there will be light rail from two blocks from my house to two blocks from my office, so this would likely be a short(ish)-term scenario.)

TL;DR - tell me that relying on an E3 two or three days a week is an epically bad (and expensive) idea.

Thanks!

Mike Goble

Reaction score
I've driven a Bavaria as my daily driver for about 8 years and have had nothing but fun with it. It has been very reliable, parts have been reasonably cheap and plentiful, if you're a little creative lots of stuff that might not fit does anyway. I bought it in fairly stock form about 8 years ago ( it had a Getrag 265 with ST sports springs and sway bars ), added an M30B35 long block, found some cheap Webers, adapted some vented front brakes, ran through various 16" wheels before settling on the 17" style 5's, adapted an E28 rear axle with a 3.25 LSD, E12 front struts, Subaru bucket seats, and a few other parts. I get compliments wherever I go with it, and have no plans of changing it for another car in the foreseeable future.

jmackro

Reaction score
I concur with Mike. I drove Bavarias as my daily drivers back in the 90's and will always regret selling my last one. They have A/C, they hold four people comfortably, they have huge trunks, they run forever,..... What's not to like?

The only problem with e3's today is that they have made the transition from neat, readily-available, old car (like in 1990) to rare. classic car.

johnl

Reaction score
I have to agree with the previous post. We are on our second E3, the first being 39 years ago and the second one just on the road for two weeks.

Still working out little items with the car but I've got to tell you that every morning I can't wait to get the garage and fire the Bav up and make my short drive to work. I'm always looking forward for a need to go out and pick up something.

These cars are comfortable, easy to see out of and maybe the best part a joy to drive. How could something this old drive this good?? I have other more modern cars and several classics to choose from but this one puts a smile on my face each day. Geez, I think I'm hooked............

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
In 1982 I had two Corvairs, a 140 HP Corsa Rust bucket and a Mint 66 110 HP automatic 500'.
The next year I bought a rusted out Bavaria for $200 and fixed it up with Bondo and Pop Rivets and absolutely loved driving it in the Winter. A couple of years later I bought a very dry Malaga Bavaria and restored that one with the original one donating it's cylinder head. Bavarias were great cars to DIY. Loved the bolt quality. They are better built than E9's from my perspective.
I still own the neglected 66 Corvair that now has the Corsa's mechanicals and it is far far from the Mint car I started with, and think I should sell it but then don't.

I think a Bavaria is one of the best buys in a classic there is.
Once sorted it should be bullet proof
Much better off buying the best one you can rather than one that needs work

Sweet Volvo BTW

Last edited:

jmackro

Reaction score
Bavarias were great cars to DIY. Loved the bolt quality. They are better built than E9's from my perspective.

Yea, e3's probably did have better build quality than e9's. The e3 was a luxury car in its day - it would correspond to today's 7 series. The e9 was barely a production car - imagine assembling that dash on an assembly line.

Certainly the e3 has better rust resistance than the e9.

The vinyl seat upholstery on the e3's wasn't as durable as the leather in US delivery e9's, but probably out-lasted the cloth in base model e9's.

Certainly the hand-cranked windows on e3's lasted longer and worked better than the electric window on US-delivery e9's.

Mike Goble

Reaction score
While we are on Corvairs - I drove a 61 Monza coupe 4-speed car as my daily driver for a few years before I got my Bav. My driver before that was a 67 Nova coupe.

gary bellamy

Reaction score
Back in the day my brother in law had a Bav which I drove a lot and loved it. I have also owned 2 E12's and currently an E28. If you like fivers these are also worth checking out. And you can find good ones reasonably priced.

Gary

86M535I

G-Man

Reaction score
Of all the previous E3's I owned, I miss my 73 malaga Bavaria most that had an autotragic to 5 speed conversion. It had dual Weber 32/36's, Bilstein HD's, Hella H1/H4 lights, 14" BBS RA wheels, etc.. That car had patina and it liked to run. Now owned by a BMW enthusiast in the SF Bay area. If you find an autotragic E3, the conversion from a slushbox to a manual gearbox is night and day difference.

G-Man

corvair kid

Reaction score
Update!

The Volvo sold last night. On Friday I fly to Seattle to take delivery of a very complete, original, strong-running '73 Bavaria. It's a four-speed with the Weber conversion and electronic ignition, sunroof, (very poorly repainted) Polaris over navy. Not perfect by any means, but I plan to drive the thing so that's fine by me - a cheap paint job and it'll be good to go, plus the seller is throwing in a set of finned alloys and some extra parts (including some body panels and glass). I had it inspected by a shop in Seattle, which is sorting a few minor things out this week before I arrive.

The drive home from Seattle to the Bay Area should be a good shakedown. I'll try to take some pictures and post how the trip goes!

corvair kid

Reaction score
Six months later...

So I have been seriously delinquent in updating, but I did in fact pick up my '73 Bavaria in Seattle in early April... Then promptly got laid off a few weeks later, so it was touch and go for a while whether we'd be able to keep the car. Thankfully I am once again gainfully employed and switching off commuting duties between the Bav and my Corvair.

As I mentioned before, the seller threw in a set of alloys in the sale. A flat on the drive home (at 70+ MPH 60 miles outside of Medford, OR - absolutely no loss of stability at that speed!) gave me an opportunity to have them put on. Thankfully the spare got us to a Sears in Medford that had one set of tires left in the correct size and were open on Sunday.

Since then I had a cheap respray done - I call the color "Polar-ish" - and I've been enjoying it immensely. It's an amazing highway car, great at sustained high-speed cruising. Very comfortable with great visibility. Lately around town it's been running a bit hot so I'm not sure to what extent the notorious cooling issues may have been addressed in the past - something to spend some time (and $, no doubt) on very soon.

My only other issue is that a couple of pieces of the belt line moulding/rub strip fell off, and while the pieces I need are listed as available from BMW through several vendors, they have in fact been discontinued. So, if anyone has some spare trim in good condition, I'm looking!

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Great to hear that the car is enjoyed. Give some scrutiny to that cooling system with particular focus on the fan clutch. If it is an original style friction type, might want to consider upgrading to the later viscous style.

Bavman

Reaction score
There is another Corvair-Bavaria owner out there...I might be able to get him on here, he is in Washington DC..

Also, I just picked up another E3, a silver 69 2500 that was in ROundel, I think it will replace my Malaga 73 Bavaria so I may have that one for sale...I live out in the country and an E3 is a great car to drive to town a few times a week...

Al

chope97

Reaction score
I need to meet him

I live outside Washington DC and I own a Bavaria we have had one for over 20 years. I don't know anyone near me who owns a Bavaria. As far as Corvairs go I wanted a Corvair Corsa as my first car but my father found a 64 Impala for me instead Clarence please contact me.

Doug Dolan

Reaction score
chope97, where are you outside DC? I'm in Chevy Chase, MD and know of several Bavs/3.0S's in the area I may be able to put you in touch with.

chope97

Reaction score
I live in Silver Spring

I live in Silver Spring and would love to meet up with other E3 owners in the area please send me a message so we can get together thanks Clarence. I may know where some parts car are located for sale cheap