Calling any original Polaris silver cars

ben

Reaction score
Could anyone with an original polaris silver car tell me exactly what the color sticker on the right shock tower says? Polaris, Polaris Neu, Polaris Neu NN, Polaris PVC-frei, or? I'd also need the year/production date and/or VIN of the car. I'm mostly interested in early 2800CSs, trying to determine when the color names were changed.

Thanks.

dp

Site Donor
Reaction score
Could anyone with an original polaris silver car tell me exactly what the color sticker on the right shock tower says? Polaris, Polaris Neu, Polaris Neu NN, Polaris PVC-frei, or? I'd also need the year/production date and/or VIN of the car. I'm mostly interested in early 2800CSs, trying to determine when the color names were changed.
Thanks.

When was polaris available on early 2800 coupes?

shanon

Reaction score
My 2800cs was originally Polaris.
Mfg Dec. '69, delivered to a Vienna dealer, Janary '70.

Stickers long gone, ran VIN with Mobile Tradition.

HTH,
-shanon

ben

Reaction score
Dax, you must have a very low VIN car. Is the color sticker original to the car?

I found pictures of a '72 3.0CS that has a sticker that says Polaris Neu. Anyone with a CS that reads Polaris Neu NN? Or someone in between '69 and '72 with either Polaris or Polaris Neu?

Thanks.

Andrew

Reaction score
My '73 cs, VIN 2240886, date of manufacture 6/22/73, says on sticker "polaris neu," which, according to Mobile Traditions, is "Polaris Metallic," paint code 060.

ben

Reaction score
This is getting slightly more interesting. Seems like only the '02s got the Polaris Neu NN stickers. Anyone with a '74 able to chime in?

Dax and Shanon, is the Karmann door pillar tag still on your cars? Is the "Kunharzlack" number stamped in 57 or 60?

Thanks again.

jmackro

Reaction score
Yes, but what color IS polaris?

Reviving this older thread, I have a related question:

Did the shade of silver differ between "Polaris" and "Polaris Neu" ?

Here's why I ask: I had my 1970 BMW 2800CS (sn 2270335) repainted in the past year. When I bought the paint, I told the paint store that I wanted to match Polaris as used by BMW in 1970. After the bodyman shot it, he commented that the color looked a little odd to him - it is more of a metallic grey than a bright silver.

So, I'm wondering: a) if the early Polaris is just darker than the newer version, or b) did the paint store just screw up?

Here are a couple of photos of the car - to my eye, they don't illustrate what I am describing very well.

D-jetronic

Reaction score
HI

I have just checked all the BMW "farb-polster " leaflets I got from 1968 to 1977 and there is only one ref written .

060- Polaris metallic

you had to pay an extra charge for it in the early years, but -for bmw- the paint code has not changed , whatever the sticker was.

jmackro

Reaction score
The Doors in your pic look very close to the colour I found behind the seats and window trim.

Daxklynsmith:

Would you describe the color behind your seats as a darker, more grey shade of silver than is commonly found on newer cars?

Now that you mention it, my coupe is also painted grey behind the seats, but that paint is not at all metallic - I figured it was just primer. Perhaps that is the original color, and the metallic look has just faded out after 39 years.