Fuse Box Re-location

decoupe

(deceased)
Reaction score
I'm going to relocate the fuses into the engine compartment. I spend too much time in the full pretzel yoga position and would rather do the move once than death by a thousand glitches.

This will be winter work but I'm looking for suggestions on year and model fuse boxes that would work best. I've got a spare e21 but don't really care for it.

It will go in the old battery location - battery now in trunk.

Thanks

Doug

velocewest

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Doug,
I think the ideal would be a box that uses blade fuses instead of bullet. Much more positive contact, less worry of corrosion, and fuses available at any 7-11 versus making a run to the local VW parts store...

The post '84 e23 box is nice, but probably overkill. I think I'd look at Painless Wiring, they have a nice 12-circuit box.

Painless

decoupe

(deceased)
Reaction score
Thanks. I agree with the blade type and will try to find a Canadian Painless (that's a contradiction) distributor.

Doug (in Canada)

Malc

Reaction score
There are lots of suppliers and companies that can provide both fuse and relay boxes, and even combined fuse and relay boxes
Demon tweeks is a good place to start, type in "automotive wiring components" into Google and that should pull up suppliers in your area/country
Malc

jmackro

Reaction score
Re-locating the fuse box

I find this thread funny - here's why: I fool around with mid-60's Alfas as well as CS Coupes. The early 105 Alfas had their fuse box under the hood (on the right fenderwell). Earlier and later Alfas have the fuses under the dash (about where they are on the CS), but for some reason, they put them under hood when the 105 chassis was introduced.

The funny part is that the "hot set-up" among the Alfa crowd is to relocate the fusebox FROM underhood TO underdash. Why? Well, the higher moisture and heat underhood promotes corrosion, which wreaks havoc with the pointy-ended Bosch fuses that Alfa (and BMW) used in the 1960-'s - 1970's era.

I concurr with another poster who suggested installing a fusebox that accepts the more modern spade style fuses. I would also recommend just keeping the box where it is - there will be a LOT of wires to re-route in order to relocate the fusebox, and if you get rid of those *&^%$ pointy-ended fuses, you will be spending a lot less time fooling around with the fuse box regardless of its location.

corsachili

Reaction score
I agree with my fellow Alfisti here. Unless you can seal the fuses against moisture (as with new cars) having the fuses in the engine bay presents problems. On the other hand, I can sympathize with Doug, the fuse box on the CS is really hard to get to.

I was just out working on the Alfa, stripping the engine bay (my CSL is STILL at the paintshop, although she was supposed to get painted today) and was staring at the location of the fusebox (as described below) wondering how they came up with this location. Alfa owners know the horrors of the original fuse box location, and yes, many move them to another, more dry spot if they can do.

I'm not sure what to do with mine, I'm going for an original restoration (I can hear the deafening silence out there, "Noto? Doing an original restoration?") Thankfully for me, the Alfa Romeo Giulia Sprint Veloce GT did not come in Inka!