oil changes-Stolen from Terry Sayther BMW

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
FILTERS… Don’t They Last A Lifetime?
Most BMW owners think that if they follow the factory recommended oil change intervals, their modern BMW should last a good long time. In fact, a new BMW with oil services at factory intervals might not live long enough to become an ‘old car’. You’ll need to change your oil and filter a lot more often for that.
That means changing it not just when the car asks for an oil change. Better would be twice as often as the 15,000 plus miles BMW typically says is ok, & even more often for the turbocharged models.
213ba4a9-ff62-44af-b7b1-79be8c50b8d4.jpg
The Filter on the left is a normal filter being changed at a normal sensible time. The middle one was from an engine that the owner said had had regular dealer service.
565b9b57-e81d-44cb-88ba-6c49560252bd.jpg
This oil filter is from a car that had a history of QuickyLube service---maybe NOT including filter changes.

Jellobmw

Site Donor
Reaction score
Yikes! That's why I only use synthetics and change at 5k or 1 year on all my cars, whichever comes first.

MyFemurHurts

Reaction score
Reminds me that I'm due for an oil change in the Coupe.

GTI has 10k oil change intervals, including on the break in oil. :???: If I wasn't leasing it I'd care more and change it at half of that interval, and 1k for the break in.

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
in my opinión the topic adressed here has more in common with this one that i posted some years ago, question is how the garages deal with your car when you leave it there, this one is specific to the M30 original engines:

helping a friend with his engine, it is being redone completely, new pistons, new,...well almost every moving part is going to be new

and checking the parts that we need for it, we opened the oil filter can,...to find...an odd part inside:

120320135230_zps2fb25817.jpg

a "marchal-made in france" support, or cover for a certain light model,...but what was that plate doing inside the filter ?

it was placed like this:

120320135227_zps7d25f955.jpg

with the aim of supporting the filter cartridge, plus blocking any by-pass of dirty oil, thus forcing all dirty oil to go through the cartridge for a good filtering operation

but you see the gap between the bolt and the plate, this means that it was a by-pass happening, and a certain ammount of oil was not being filtered,....this was bad

this is the right plate plus seal:

120320135224_zps2dfcba70.jpg

120320135225_zpsbca573c7.jpg

compare:
forum

installed:
120320135228_zpsd9a87383.jpg

...there are still some friends of mine that consider that i am insane because i do all the maintenance of my car !

...this is insane !

BTW, one year ago i did the same job for another friend, and in that case we found NO plate, virtually NOTHING was there !, great !

if you have the old style filter, and if you get your maintenance done at your favourite Garage, check it at once ! ha, ha, ha

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
What I find strange

is that US auto-makers have been using good quality spin-on filters since the 60's (I believe). It's quite possible that this is German retribution for Dresden.

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
Lord, every car I buy, first thing, all fluids out, don't care how many stickers on the door telling me they were just changed. Stripped oil plug, oil all over Storrow Drive in Boston, that was the one time I was too busy to change my own oil. I never do not have the time. 6 cars=Excel spread sheet with wrench size for each car's plug, oil volume, date and mileage of change, oil type, filter numbers....to compensate for my age and forgetfulness.

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
This has to be the thread with the most pictures of member's fingers.

One more greasy finger picture and we open a finger section in the registry.

bill

Site Donor
Reaction score
DeQ: Thanks for pointing this out... For those ordering the parts, RealOEM.com shows 11421252465 for the "gasket ring" and 11421252466 for the "reinforcement [plate]." The numbers on DeQ's parts bags appear to be reversed...I'm sure it's OEM's mistake!

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
DeQ: Thanks for pointing this out... For those ordering the parts, RealOEM.com shows 11421252465 for the "gasket ring" and 11421252466 for the "reinforcement [plate]." The numbers on DeQ's parts bags appear to be reversed...I'm sure it's OEM's mistake!

are the numbers in my bags reversed ? i doubt it ...IMHO

bill

Site Donor
Reaction score
My apologies everyone...RealOEM numbers are correct, as are the part #s shown on DeQ's parts bags...must have been a senior moment...hope no one got an order screwed up.

EJ333

Reaction score
Purolator brand oil cannister

My 1971 2800cs has a Purulator branded oil canister( looks like it could be an original part) where the bolt is mounted to the top. It is a bit of a hassling maneuver to get the canister back on after changing the paper filter, but I am okay with it. My question is twofold : a) Is Purulator oil canister an OEM part ? B) Am I exempt from having the metal plate and rubber plug that DQ says goes missing in the annals of mechanic's oil changes ? Thanks

in my opinión the topic adressed here has more in common with this one that i posted some years ago, question is how the garages deal with your car when you leave it there, this one is specific to the M30 original engines:

helping a friend with his engine, it is being redone completely, new pistons, new,...well almost every moving part is going to be new

and checking the parts that we need for it, we opened the oil filter can,...to find...an odd part inside:

120320135230_zps2fb25817.jpg

a "marchal-made in france" support, or cover for a certain light model,...but what was that plate doing inside the filter ?

it was placed like this:

120320135227_zps7d25f955.jpg

with the aim of supporting the filter cartridge, plus blocking any by-pass of dirty oil, thus forcing all dirty oil to go through the cartridge for a good filtering operation

but you see the gap between the bolt and the plate, this means that it was a by-pass happening, and a certain ammount of oil was not being filtered,....this was bad

this is the right plate plus seal:

120320135224_zps2dfcba70.jpg

120320135225_zpsbca573c7.jpg

compare:
forum

installed:
120320135228_zpsd9a87383.jpg

...there are still some friends of mine that consider that i am insane because i do all the maintenance of my car !

...this is insane !

BTW, one year ago i did the same job for another friend, and in that case we found NO plate, virtually NOTHING was there !, great !

if you have the old style filter, and if you get your maintenance done at your favourite Garage, check it at once ! ha, ha, ha

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I can answer a), yes it is OEM but from a later BMW, ours came with bottom bolt cans and shape is a bit different. I have a top bolt and love it, both are Purolater.

bill

Site Donor
Reaction score
Weel, took apart my bottom-bolt filter to change the oil, and sure enough, there was no rubber bushing in the support plate, just as DeQ warned. It is now installed. Thanks DeQ.

steve in reno

Reaction score
Is there a filter seal (not can) in the top bolt filter cans.
I changed to a top bolt 20+ years ago and is much easier to change the oil without spilling.
No idea year and model.
I am in the process of changing now and would like to make it right.

can anyone help an old man out

bill

Site Donor
Reaction score
In the bottom bolt filter, there is an O-ring seal at the top of the filter can. Seems to me there would also be one in the top bolt filter.

EJ333

Reaction score
Steve,
Yes there is a rubber seal in a top bolt oil filter canister. At least there is in mine.When I have ordered the Mann paper filter replacement, a new rubber seal is included in the box. Therefore, I change the rubber seal with each oil filter change. If you're not sure which filter to purchase, remove the old one temporarily, and see if is stamped somewhere on the old filter. When I ordered my first replacement filter, I ordered the wrong size because I was not aware that the previous owner had replaced the original bottom bolt oil canister with a later model top bolt canister, but I am glad he did in the long run, because it's easier to use.

Bert Poliakoff

Site Donor
Reaction score
Even easier and cleaner if you use one of my spin on oil filter adapters. It will then use a
Fram PH8a spin on. These spin ons are for a 460” Ford and really do a proper job