Exhaust Straight Piping

12doplumbing

Reaction score
Has anyone bought these?
http://www.motorsportsdownunder.com/id6.html
$900 sound a little rich?
Thoughts on straight piping to just a rear muffler, or some combination. Anyone done anything they like lately? Read older posts... Thought I'd ask for recent installs

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 154

Cornishman

Site Donor
Reaction score
Straight through. Noise

Mine has a stainless straight through with just a rear box. It is noisy, all my neighbors know whenever I get it out of the garage. I do not know the brand, it was on the car when I bought her. If I were buying new I would add an extra box to help keep the noise down. I doubt that it makes a difference to performance.
Driving it, also plenty noisy enough at speed, fantastic in tunnels and in open spaces, but I need to be careful in domestic areas as I don't want to upset people.
C

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I also think it needs the center resonator and rear muffler. I removed the small resonator near the axle and it sounds fine but it is louder.

12doplumbing

Reaction score
Ok. One of the previous threads talked about how we shouldn't embarrass the rest of us E9ers by making our coupes sound loud and furious when any little stock Honda or smart car can whoop us :)
I also like to remain undercover and keep my neighbors goodwill, but I do like to hear a little more growl than I'm hearing now. I will put my coupe on the lift this week and start or change this thread's focus; "To straight sound, or not to straight sound", or "Headers do anything?". I am wondering if the headers will make any difference in performance. If it's just sound they're good for, then I'll keep my $900 and try a combination of removing resonator or muffler.
Chris, maybe you can persuade me that stock is bliss, but I doubt it. I did take that funky air intake out -- gave it to my son for his 240z. I am leaving the yellow hoses though! I like those.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 159

12doplumbing

Reaction score
Steve and Barry -- neither of you installed headers? I suspect they're just a waste of money; a younger me would "need" them, so I could say I had headers...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 135

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
No I have stock manifolds and exhaust sans the little mufler between the others.

Steve and Barry -- neither of you installed headers? I suspect they're just a waste of money; a younger me would "need" them, so I could say I had headers...

12doplumbing

Reaction score
Toned it down a bit; stock air now... Yellow tubing didn't kink as easily and replacing so many really tight bend ones... Couldn't find some of them.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 152

TodB

Reaction score
On my E28, I went with Stahl headers into an X pipe back into a Magnaflow catback system (I lost the cat along the way). Its perfect and not noisey at all but its got a reasonable howl when you get on it. The headers did not add much noise. It sounded a bit different but not louder.

My E9 system started out as a stock stainless replacement via a group buy purchase years ago. I decided to leave off the first in line muffler and Y- pipe that goes back to the other 2 cans. That set up was too loud and droney. Last year, I went to the local performance muffler shop and had them add a Magnaflow muffler back in where the first muffler should have been. This cut down on the noise a little bit and its definitely less droney especially at highway speeds.

I like it. Its certainly not as quiet as stock and its louder than my E28 but its not annoying. That said, my buddy up the street says he can still hear me before he sees me.

taylorcom

Reaction score
My brother used to import e9's (from Italy). When the center muffler on mine went out, he recommended installing a straight pipe, saying the center muffler didn't do much anyway. I tried a straight pipe, which gave the car a somewhat throatier roar. Then I installed the correct center resonator, and that made the car a little quieter. It's still not a quiet car, tho.

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I have a simple header like the one in your link.
Not sure of the brand.
They were quite old but fit well. Not Stahl.

I had them ceramic coated.
I am running the headers which collect into one stock size pipe and run to a rear stock muffler only.
Not very loud at all.
I have triple Weber 45's and a built motor. The noise the intake makes drowns out the exhaust.

Funny this came up as I took mine to a exhaust guy in my area who is famous for building nice SS exhaust systems.
He told me today. "I don't like BMW's but I love this one and always have"
He said about 10 years ago he did about 10 of these cars in the area.

He is going to build a better collector (with a bung for my AFR wideband I use for tuning) where the two header pipes come down and straight pipe to muffler. He uses a truck muffler and modifies it for the side exit of the pipe. He also puts a dimple in it where it passes the diff. He is going to save my chrome tip and put it on the new system. $700
Said it would be some louder but not a lot.