Hello, new member from Texas

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Wizzup,
Seconding and thirding what Peter and Gransin said above. A coupe buddy and I found a true Barn Find - a 75 CSi. It was in a barn, not in a field, under a tarp. But our "expert" assessment was -- part it out. And we only paid $700. for it - delivered.

This was about five years ago and we priced everything we did not need reasonably.
Today, many of those same parts have tripled or more in value. Parts we sold for $10. or $15. dollars are not over $75. on a good day.

So be careful. Steve

wizzurp

Reaction score
Unfortunately I think you may be right, this is going to be a LOT of work that I don't have the time for currently :( I'm thinking I may part it out, sadly it has a clear title and is very straight.

wizzurp

Reaction score
Whelp I moved and brought it with. I think I may build a rotisserie for this turd and do something racy with it.

mulberryworks

Mr. Fixity
Site Donor
Reaction score
I'm about to start on my restoration. I've had my car almost 3 years and have driven it only 50 miles or so, moving from Maui to Austin during that time. A rotisserie would be nice since it allows easy access to the under side, but I don't have room so a small lift will have to do.
Yes, making something racy is an option for these cars, especially if the interior has been fried by the sun. Mine is not, fortunately.

If you do dig into this project, we'd all like to follow along, so start a new restoration thread in that section.

Ian

jamesw

Reaction score
Good luck from your friends in Houston. DFW area is a great place for a coupe - a lot drier up there then down here so don't have to use de-humidifier in the garage as much :)

wizzurp

Reaction score
Yep my interior and exterior are fried. I'm thinking about doing the Ireland engineering group4 widebody kit on it as I'll likely be cutting into a lot of it anyways. It definitely is much drier than you guys after Harvey @jamesw
I'm having bad ideas for this car. I've got several motors laying around I may force into it to see what fits nicely and will give me something to have fun with. One of which is a 35r single turbo 1jz setup. Shun the non believers!!! Please don't evict me from e9coupe yet.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Not an eviction notice, but a caution from someone who barely survived his young and foolish stage.

Take a look at the way this car was manufactured -- the sheet metal was stitched together with spot welds -- and think about how the car flexes as a result. These cars cannot handle huge power. It will tear them apart. Look at this picture: https://www.e9coupe.com/forum/threads/ouch.26850/#post-205053 Notice how much damage this car sustained. It will not protect you very much in a crash.

Second, look at Don's comments in this thread. Don knows his stuff, and carries a lot of respect here. He commented that a BMW stroker (with about half the horsepower you are looking at) was too much for this car.

These cars are a lot of fun to drive at legal speeds. Build a 200 hp car, and live to tell the tale.

wizzurp

Reaction score
Not an eviction notice, but a caution from someone who barely survived his young and foolish stage.

Take a look at the way this car was manufactured -- the sheet metal was stitched together with spot welds -- and think about how the car flexes as a result. These cars cannot handle huge power. It will tear them apart. Look at this picture: https://www.e9coupe.com/forum/threads/ouch.26850/#post-205053 Notice how much damage this car sustained. It will not protect you very much in a crash.

Second, look at Don's comments in this thread. Don knows his stuff, and carries a lot of respect here. He commented that a BMW stroker (with about half the horsepower you are looking at) was too much for this car.

These cars are a lot of fun to drive at legal speeds. Build a 200 hp car, and live to tell the tale.

This isn't my first rodeo with old flexy crap fortunately. If I end up doing something truly stupid I'll just cage it, it's not a beautiful or honestly restorable car in my opinion and tying in my strut towers/floor/etc together with dom would probably make me a LOT more likely to trust it. Also debated doing some e24/e24 subframes in it for a better diff options and general less flexy old. I want it to look good and be something fun to cruise around in, I've got fast stuff if I want to play.

wizzurp

Reaction score
I have a cheap driver’s side door if you want one.
I will keep that in mind, I've got to gut my car and assess how much of it is blown through. If she ends up being excessively holy or has inner skin rot I will definitely shoot you a message!

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
This isn't my first rodeo with old flexy crap fortunately. If I end up doing something truly stupid I'll just cage it, it's not a beautiful or honestly restorable car in my opinion and tying in my strut towers/floor/etc together with dom would probably make me a LOT more likely to trust it. Also debated doing some e24/e24 subframes in it for a better diff options and general less flexy old. I want it to look good and be something fun to cruise around in, I've got fast stuff if I want to play.

Nice, and by the way, I like your taste in cars. I had a White 280Z back in the day that I loved.

autowerks

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi Wyatt, welcome, How far N. DFW are you?
I am in Anna 15 Miles north of McKinney, its always good to know e9 guys.

wizzurp

Reaction score
Hi Wyatt, welcome, How far N. DFW are you?
I am in Anna 15 Miles north of McKinney, its always good to know e9 guys.
Hey I've actually seen you several times around mckinney and melissa! Your car is absolutely beautiful! I live up in Whitewright but work in Mckinney M-F. I'd love to check your car out one time, I pulled into a gas station at 380/75 behind you once but didn't have time to chat and I didn't want to bother you.
Also, I drive through Anna daily haha!