paint stripping

30csl

Site Donor
Reaction score
Someone painted the aluminium gear part of my wiper motor. Paint stripper doesn't seem to have much effect. Anyone have a good paint stripping recommendation? Thanks!

bimmerboy73

Reaction score
Someone painted the aluminium gear part of my wiper motor. Paint stripper doesn't seem to have much effect. Anyone have a good paint stripping recommendation? Thanks!

What type of paint stripper are you using? industrial stripper should take that off no problem (should have a syrup-like quality to it and smell like hell). Will also burn right through your skin if you get some on you so be careful.

Try giving it another go and this time maybe cover up the part with plastic wrap right away to extend the chemical process a bit.

steely dan

Reaction score
Irrespective of what Brand you used paint stripper sold EU wide has been virtually made useless with the removal of dichloromethane which was the active ingredient that actually did the stripping .
I've tried some Nitromors to remove the lacquer on a set of BBS wheels that I am refurbishing and frankly it had little effect.
I read that the Fleetwood brand is better but by how much ........?
The suggestion of covering the item with clingfilm may help but I'm afraid there is universal disappointment out there on the performance of all current paint strippers .
Thank you EU ...........:x

30csl

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks all - I will try the plastic wrap idea!

Blasting isnt ideal as it is hard to strip the piece and if I dont masking things up to try and prevent sand/media getting places it shouldnt will be hard. I should have left it alone!

30csl

Site Donor
Reaction score
Failing that I need to find some really old paint stripper with the good ingredients in it!